Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

USA visa denied.. what to do next ?

Wikiposts

USA visa denied.. what to do next ?

Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:23 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA visa denied.. what to do next ?

Originally Posted by luke433
When I was charged I actually got GBH without intent .. But it only says GBH on my police record ..?? Also when I go back for the interview will they ask me the same as they did before ? My first interview was just basically them asking what happened to get my record .. They never asked me about anything else at all .. They didn't even want to look at my job contract or anything that I had brought with me to show them . Is this normal ?
Yes, all of that is perfectly normal.

It seems to me, as I've already pointed out, that your offence is viewed very seriously indeed (rightly or wrongly) and therefore the question of your rehabilitation is being scrutinised rather heavily. Hence why the interviewing officer mainly concentrated on exploring your offending and possibly why your visa application was denied. You can expect the same angle of questioning at any subsequent interview.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Apr 16th 2013 at 9:26 am.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:33 am
Just Joined

luke433 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i see , well thanks for your help, but what i couldnt understand is why they were asking me why it happened and how it happened .. surely they can just find out the activities of the offence through the police ? and find out what happened?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:41 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You are the visa applicant. They want to see what you have to say for yourself with regard to the incident. Would you really want them to depend on how someone else describes the incident and not give you an opportunity to explain your actions?

Regards, JEff

what i couldnt understand is why they were asking me why it happened and how it happened .. surely they can just find out the activities of the offence through the police ? and find out what happened?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:44 am
Just Joined

i see , i just thought they would of got hold of the statements from the police ?
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:50 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

i see , i just thought they would of got hold of the statements from the police ?
The US authorities are trying to get a picture of what sort of person you are. Part of the reason for that is to gauge whether you can be trusted to behave yourself if they allow you into their country. They want to be satisfied that you are truly rehabilitated and aren't likely to commit further offences on their soil and against their people.

So they'll ask you to explain how and why you got caught up in the offending and how you felt about it. They might ask you questions about where you live and who you hang around with. They'll want to know if you've changed things about yourself and your life in the period since the offending.

It's all part of building up an idea of your personality.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You mean a single offence INVOLVING a CIMT is treated differently; under the petty offence exception.
Yeap! I think that is the case, but others more knowledgeable than me can discuss it for the benefit of the op.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Well thank you all for your help and advice .. I'm going to re apply again next January so that will be 2 years since my first refusal .. Ill let you all know how it goes ..

Regards

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 17th 2013 at 8:14 am. Reason: typo correction
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Well thank you all for ou help and advice .. I'm going to re apply again next January so that will be 2 years since my first refusal .. Ill let you all know how it goes ..

Regards
Good luck to you.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:41 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

By the way -- "intent" can be a legal term of art in criminal law. Quite often, whether or not a particular crime is a CIMT will be determined by the language of intent in the particular statute. For example, in assault, "general intent" does not a CIMT make. However, words like "willfully" or "maliciously" probably do.

Although not involving a CIMT, John Lennon famously beat back the bar imposed by a UK conviction for possession of hashish -- at the time, UK law was strict liability.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Maximum sentence for this offence under UK law seems to be 5 years imprisonment: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/s...11_edition%29/

No idea how that would translate to an equivalent US indictment.
BTW, this discussion seems to indicate that the offense COULD be a CIMT under the "modified categorical approach" of Silva-Trevino.