Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

In USA on 2 year greencard...how do I extend?

In USA on 2 year greencard...how do I extend?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

artefactfinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In USA on 2 year greencard...how do I extend?

Hey there,

I am in the USA on a 2 greencard as my husband is American. The Greencard I have is due to expire in December...I'm just wondering what I do next to extend it. The USCIS website isn't very clear.

Any advice would be great!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: In USA on 2 year greencard...how do I extend?

Originally Posted by artefactfinder
Hey there,

I am in the USA on a 2 greencard as my husband is American. The Greencard I have is due to expire in December...I'm just wondering what I do next to extend it. The USCIS website isn't very clear.

You have to remove the conditions on your green card. Within 90 days (and not before) of your card expiring you must send in form I-751 along with evidence of your continuing marriage.

Check in the marriage based visa's section - there are lots of threads on this.

Last edited by Longy; Jul 30th 2009 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,

As Longy said, you have to file to remove the conditions on your green card. To do that you have to file the I-751. You absolutely need to file the I-751 within the 90 day window before your 2yr card expires (so look at the expiry date, subtract 90 days, and you have to file between that date & the expiry date).

There is loads of info on the I-751 in the Marriage-Based Visa forum so do a search in there for the documents to include in your application. The I-751 process is much easier, and most of the time you will not have to attend an interview. Be aware, though, that the I-751 is a low priority application for USCIS so it could take awhile for approval.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,

Not extend it (maybe why you couldn't find the right pages); you need to remove the conditions on your PR status.

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

A lawful permanent resident is given the privilege of living and working in the United States permanently. Your permanent residence status will be conditional if it is based on a marriage that was less than two years old on the day you were given permanent residence. You are given conditional resident status on the day you are lawfully admitted to the United States on an immigrant visa or receive adjustment of status. Your permanent resident status is conditional, because you must prove that you did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States.

You and your spouse must apply together to remove the conditions on your residence. You should apply during the 90 days before your second anniversary as a conditional resident. The expiration date on your alien registration card (commonly know as green card) is also the date of your second anniversary as a conditional resident. If you do not apply to remove the conditions in time, you could lose your conditional resident status and be removed from the country.
(more)

What are the Application Procedures?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there,

Your past posts indicate that you moved away from the US, did you do that? You may want to check into things further if you haven't been living in the US.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your past posts indicate that you moved away from the US, did you do that? You may want to check into things further if you haven't been living in the US.
Ooooh..she's tryin to be tricksy with us.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Nor after.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Longy
Within 90 days (and not before) of your card expiring you must send in form I-751 ...