British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   US Visa query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/us-visa-query-949085/)

Pulaski Aug 29th 2023 4:54 pm

Re: US Visa query

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13212323)
What do you mean by 'unqualified teacher'? ...

Teachers assistant, or substitute? :unsure:

However taking the time and effort to qualify as a teacher would still make getting a job offer in the US a very long shot. Private schools will cherry pick the very best candidates, and taking a job in a "public" (state) school would mean going back to the bottom of the ladder. And the public school districts that do occasionally run recruitment drives outside the US are hiring for troubled inner city school districts, where there are very good reasons why they're unable to find recruits in the US. .... Not only that they have the usual issues of British inner city schools, but in addition finding and removing firearms is a constant additional problem. :eek: The last time I saw data, the school district for Charlotte, NC, which has plenty of troubled schools, but is nothing like larger cities, was confiscating an average of more than one firearm per week from students. :blink:

discoviking Sep 1st 2023 5:31 am

I agree with the other responses that based on the information you have provided, immigrating to USA might be a longshot. You might want to take a look at Canada, though. Canada is not easy to immigrate to either, but they have different options available than the US.

RICH Sep 2nd 2023 12:49 am

Originally Posted by elaw (Post 13212207)
Hey everyone

Could I have some advice regarding US visas please? I’ve tried googling but there seems to be so many choices!

We are, very early, thinking about moving to the states from the UK but are unsure which visa we would need. My husband and I would both want to work, we have two daughters of school age as well. I have a lot of relatives over there, more than in the UK, but not immediate, just aunts and cousins.

Many thanks for any advise as to where to start with this.

In theory, (I think) one of the Aunts, if a Citizen or Permanent Resident, could sponsor their sibling, your parent, who could then sponsor their adult child, you. I hate to think how long that would take, let alone the logistics and cost. Someone can tell me if that is a mad thought!

destone Sep 3rd 2023 9:26 pm

Food for thought: the grass is never greener on the other side. Why do you think the U.S. would provide a better outcome for you, coming from the UK?

LT1 Sep 4th 2023 1:07 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13213044)
In theory, (I think) one of the Aunts, if a Citizen or Permanent Resident, could sponsor their sibling, your parent, who could then sponsor their adult child, you. I hate to think how long that would take, let alone the logistics and cost. Someone can tell me if that is a mad thought!

It's not mad, and would work, but it'd be a loooong process...

-- The aunt would need to be a citizen (not a PR).
-- 16 years for the sibling F4 GC for the parent.
-- 5 years for the parent to become a citizen.
-- 14 years for the Married Child of USC F3 GC for the OP.

So 35+ years. 😳

christmasoompa Sep 4th 2023 1:57 am

Originally Posted by LT1 (Post 13213357)

So 35+ years. 😳

The parent wouldn’t need to be a citizen, so that cuts 5/6 years off. And it’s often a shorter wait for a green card holder to sponsor an adult child than for a citizen to for some strange reason. But doesn’t really help much as it would still take decades. :lol:

Pulaski Sep 4th 2023 2:56 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13213044)

Never mind the time and cost, I think the biggest stumbling block may be that you'd have to persuade the aunt's sibling/ OP's parent to relocate to the US to make the multi-step scheme work.

And without some dramatic effort, expense, and/or career change, they'd still arrive in the US ill-equipped to get a decent job in the short term. It could very easily turn into an expensive case of "be careful what you wish for". :unsure:

vespucci Sep 4th 2023 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13213364)
Never mind the time and cost, I think the biggest stumbling block may be that you'd have to persuade the aunt's sibling/ OP's parent to relocate to the US to make the multi-step scheme work.

Yes, true for the UK.
Some other nationalities take less persuasion.

Originally Posted by LT1 (Post 13213357)

So 35+ years. 😳

May be more like 50 years as the trend of wait time upwards may continue. So assuming they're 40, they may get to immigrate to the US when they're 90!

I do know of people who have done this for their children who are not married and have found the wait time acceptable- the mother has moved here after being sponsored by her sister and has then applied for her children. But anyone starting the process now even for an unmarried child may find the wait too long.

LT1 Sep 4th 2023 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13213361)
The parent wouldn’t need to be a citizen, so that cuts 5/6 years off.

Are you sure? I thought LPRs can only sponsor children if they are unmarried?

christmasoompa Sep 4th 2023 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by LT1 (Post 13213477)
Are you sure? I thought LPRs can only sponsor children if they are unmarried?

Ah, you may be right, apologies if I got that wrong. I know they can sponsor adult children, but not sure if it works if they're married. Either way it's a heck of a long route and I'm guessing not feasible for the OP. Still intrigued as to their 'unqualified teacher', and if that might be a route in, but depends on what they mean by that.

Ling_Noi Sep 4th 2023 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 13212293)
Note: If one spouse is a native of NI (or other waiver country) then what is called cross-chart ability cranks in.

The couple can also apply twice if they can cross-charge. Nobody told me this until I was on my fifth DV entry :'(

Pulaski Sep 5th 2023 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi (Post 13213574)
The couple can also apply twice if they can cross-charge. ...

Just to clarify, nobody is doing anything twice. .... Cross-charging means: "Both halves of a couple can apply separately, even if only one is qualified to apply".

Ling_Noi Sep 5th 2023 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13213739)
Just to clarify, nobody is doing anything twice. .... Cross-charging means: "Both halves of a couple can apply separately, even if only one is qualified to apply".

Sure if you want to be pedantic.

Pulaski Sep 5th 2023 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi (Post 13213743)
Sure if you want to be pedantic.

With visa applications, the key is in the details. Maybe half all the questions posted here on BE concern the precise meaning of words and how to respond, and many people who get themselves in a pickle did so because of poor attention to detail.

Call it pedantic if you want to, but the precise use of words is essential in matters of visa applications.

Ling_Noi Sep 5th 2023 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13213748)
With visa applications, the key is in the details. Maybe half all the questions posted here on BE concern the precise meaning of words and how to respond, and many people who get themselves in a pickle did so because of poor attention to detail.

Call it pedantic if you want to, but the precise use of words is essential in matters of visa applications.

👍🏻

To clarify. One member of the couple applies as the primary applicant and the other applies as the primary applicant. So two applications.

The one that wasn’t born in a DV eligible country can select their spouses country under the eligibility section “cross-charging”. Both halves of the couple need to meet the rest of the criteria to be primary applicants.