US Visa Lottery Help Needed

Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

caz26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Visa Lottery Help Needed

Hi all

New to the forum, hope someone out there can help.

My husband and I are planning to submit an application for the US Visa Lottery to obtain Green Cards to the US (not long left!!)

He was born in Nigeria, and I in the UK. I understand that he can submit an application based on being from an eligible country. I believe that I can submit an application under chargeability, claiming his country of birth. (And he would need to be eligible and arrive in the US with me if successful)

However, on the guidance notes it states that it is not possible to submit two applications, although it does say that a husband or wife can apply.

My question is, can both of us apply, as follows:
1. My husband under eligible country, with me added as a derivative AND
2. Me under spouse's country of origin, with him added as a derivative

Or does this count as two entries from us?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa Lottery Help Needed

Originally Posted by caz26
I understand that he can submit an application based on being from an eligible country.
Correct.

I believe that I can submit an application under chargeability, claiming his country of birth.
Also correct.

1. My husband under eligible country, with me added as a derivative AND
2. Me under spouse's country of origin, with him added as a derivative
Your plan to submit one application for your husband and a second application for you is just fine! Good luck.

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

caz26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, that's great - thankyou.

Sorry if it seemed an obvious question, just wanted to make sure we didn't get caught out on semantics! Honestly, all these supporting guidelines seem to be somewhat contradictory rather than helpful, at times
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely worth a try. And you can submit two applications, as you say. Do be aware that a LOT of people apply from Nigeria so your chances of winning aren't as high as those of applicants from other countries. So you might try to think about alternative ways of getting to the US, depending on how much of a priority it is for you.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caz26
Sorry if it seemed an obvious question, just wanted to make sure we didn't get caught out on semantics!
If you're from NI, you can submit 4 applications - 2 based on country of birth for each of you, and another 2 based on cross-chargeability for each of you.

Ian