Wikiposts

US Visa advice

Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:52 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa advice

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Technically yes of course. But if she wants her husband with her, she will have to prove domicile or intent of (re) establishing. It may be mere semantics, but crucial.

She has been out of the US a long time. Plus we don't know what supporting documentation she has. No recent tax returns by the sound of. A voting record? An up to date drivers licence? To think of just 3 things....

Having been in this very situation, it can be difficult.
I understand what you are saying. And that may have been why Ian commented about her traveling ahead.

I got the impression the OP was worried there would be a problem with HER return. Perhaps I was wrong.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I understand what you are saying. And that may have been why Ian commented about her traveling ahead.

I got the impression the OP was worried there would be a problem with HER return. Perhaps I was wrong.
I took it the other way. Perhaps the OP can clarify? In any case, the real issue here is the length of time outside the US and the re-establishment of domicile (or the intent too).

The USC will have to work hard to prove that.

If she has been out of the country for 10 years from what it sounds like, we don't know what type of ties she still has to the US, could be a lot, or none. By ties I mean bank accounts, voting records etc. If the OP advises, we can better advise him.....
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghstppl
It's not that she is physically unable to travel without me, the wife and I agreed that because of all the co-ordination required over here, as well as getting the house ready to sell etc we thought it would be better suited to us to travel together when the time is ready.

We have planned out what we need to get sorted right now while we are preparing the house for sale, which for us to move to the US is essential.

We looked at what we can do right away, so the early plan is for me to get my relevant medical shots from my local GP, and get the animals their rabies shots and chipped, then discuss the Pet passport with the Vet at the same time.

The plan is to hopefully have the house ready for sale as early as possible and at the time the house goes up for sale we will start the visa in motion.

My own experience over here with the sale of a house is that even once a buyer is found it takes at least 2 months to go through, and if by a miracle we find a buyer straight away and sell the house before the application is approved we will rent somewhere which maybe will help our case proving the wife had no intention of perminently settling in the UK

Your dog doesn't require a Pet's PP to enter the US. It's only required by the UK authorities when entering the UK. Saying that it would be useful to have just in case you want to return to the UK with your pet...but you would have to keep it up to date for it to remain valid.

Your dog will need to be examined by a vet prior to leaving the UK and certify that the pet is in good condition to fly. If you wish your UK vet to vaccinate the dog check what the requirements are for your state....some require live vaccine. I think I'm correct in saying you can have your pet vaccinated at the US port of entry.

There are companies that will handle all aspects of the transportation of your pet. It will cost more than DIY but it takes a lot of the hassle out of it.

There are plenty of past threads in the main US forum on this subject.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 11th 2010 at 9:07 am.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

ghstppl is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife renewed her driving license a few years ago, but it has since expired again within that time, and she was told at the time she could only renew it online once. Her US passport is due to expire later this year and is due to be renewed. The ties she has in the US is non-financial (son, family etc). It wasn't an issue of worrying if she would be summitted back in the US, but was allowing me to reside there too.

We are going to contact the IRS tomorrow and discuss the tax filing, from what we have read it shouldn't be an issue because of she hasn't earned enough over here.

On being able to establish US financial ties, I was thinking we could look at opening a US bank account. Not sure of the logistics of it are from over here, but going try and do some research on that. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks for the advice on the pets, didn't realise it was specifically for UK only.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I figured you meant how best to get you there. Ill be honest with you, and say right now you have some work to do, and certainly starting with the IRS is a good place. Read my domicile guide which Im told has been helpful.

What I would do if I was you, is take a few visits out there in the meantime, and get the ball rolling. When you get out there, open a bank account, deposit funds etc. Start building credit. Get your wife to start reestablishing a life out there. There are lots of threads about US bank accounts, but realistically, much easier to do when you are there.

I really wouldnt get bogged down in stuff like pets as you are a long way off yet. Is 18 months do-able in your situation, yes, but you (or rather your wife) do need to start making ties back to the US.

Has she voted absent since she was here?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

She hasn't voted since she has been here no. I think like you said, for now we will focus on getting her taxes submitted, trying to re-establish some ties back in the US. Getting my medical shots is not a urgent thing, but it's something else to cross off the list.

My travelling back and forth to the US in the meantime is not really an option due to the financial and work commitments I have at the moment.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She hasn't voted since she has been here no. I think like you said, for now we will focus on getting her taxes submitted, trying to re-establish some ties back in the US. Getting my medical shots is not a urgent thing, but it's something else to cross off the list.

My travelling back and forth to the US in the meantime is not really an option due to the financial and work commitments I have at the moment.
It's not that your wife has to show "financial" ties to the USA. She has to prove that she has intent to domicile (live in) the USA again after such a long time abroad. She has kept no ties to the USA (financial or otherwise), so it will take some work to prove intent to domicile.

Here are some ideas which may or may not apply to you guys:
1. Proof that she is selling any property/land/house that you have in the UK by a certain date.
2. Proof that she is apartment/house hunting in the USA.
3. Children leaving school in the UK and being registered in school in the USA.
4. Proof that she is job hunting in the USA.
5. Proof of acceptance at school in the USA (herself).
6. Current US ID (drivers license, state ID).
7. Current voter registration.
8. Current bank account in USA.

Etc, etc, etc.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud of

(Sorry, I replied at the same time as Noorah, so some of this is duplicate info. )

At my husbands visa interview last week - we were asked "Have you done anything with regards to moving back to the US?"

We were not ever asked if I had a US license, US bank account, or voted.

While you MAY be asked for those things, they have been asking the above question more often with regards to domicile. (from what I can tell)

They are asking about things like
- job offers, or, printouts showing you are looking and applying for jobs
- leases, or relocation agents, or something to show you will have somewhere to live (emails to estate agents?)
- school applications for children
-moving quotes
- health insurance quotes
-ect ect - dont know what specifically applies to you, but think of ANYTHING you can do in advance, do it, and get paperwork to proove it.

another couple the same morning as our interview left with the blue form (instead of a visa) because she had US bank statements ect but nothing with regards to actually moving. They are becoming stricter about this requirement from what I can tell.

Since you have a long time between now and when you want to move, there is a long time to gather this kind of evidence.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice guys, trying not to get myself stressed out with everything!! We won't be able to go over there until the house is sold anyway, so at least we have the proof that the house is currently up for sale or sold by the time the domicile application is submitted.

We will get a bank account over there before we go hopefully within the next couple of weeks, and if we ship a lot of our furniture over there prior to the application wouldn't that also be concrete proof of intention to reside?

If at worse for whatever reason are turned down for lack of proof to reside there(even though we intend to), would I be able to travel over there as tourist, but not come back to the uk and apply for a visa from there?

Alternatively, even though I won't apply for any jobs until we are actually there, will they take into account my qualifications and job (BSc IT, IT systems developer in Local Government) because from the various IT newsletters I read, this is still a high demand for these type of jobs.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:29 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Hj,

Of course one will not be asked for specific items, at least not initially. Every person's situation is different, every person may have done different things in a different sequence to re-establish their US domicile. There is no fixed list of what is required.

If one answers the question with a blank stare and a "huh?", then one may be given specific examples as the interviewing consular officer attempts to pry a meaningful answer out of a cluless USC.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Hellojulie
At my husbands visa interview last week - we were asked "Have you done anything with regards to moving back to the US?"

We were not ever asked if I had a US license, US bank account, or voted.

While you MAY be asked for those things, they have been asking the above question more often with regards to domicile. (from what I can tell)
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:33 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

gp,

We will get a bank account over there before we go hopefully within the next couple of weeks,
Get and start using.

and if we ship a lot of our furniture over there prior to the application wouldn't that also be concrete proof of intention to reside?
Yes

If at worse for whatever reason are turned down for lack of proof to reside there(even though we intend to), would I be able to travel over there as tourist, but not come back to the uk and apply for a visa from there?
No. Think about it - the purpose of a visa is to go to a country's POE and request to be allowed in. If one is already in there is no need for a visa.

Alternatively, even though I won't apply for any jobs until we are actually there, will they take into account my qualifications and job (BSc IT, IT systems developer in Local Government) because from the various IT newsletters I read, this is still a high demand for these type of jobs.
No. Birds in the hand are safe, birds in the bush get eaten by the neighbor's roaming cat.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

I like the bird in the bush comment, never heard of that before. Will focus on getting sorted what we can right now, as we still have a house to prepare for sale which in the current market will not be easy.

Thank you everyone for all the advice up until now, it has been educational and somewhat daunting but I am thankfull for everyone's honest input, at least I will be going into it with my eyes wide open. My attitude has always been if you want something really bad enough you have to work at it, and this certainly proves that.

For right now we are filing the wife's tax returns, arranging with the in-laws on getting a bank account opened up over there for us, getting my injections sorted out with my GP.

I will keep everyone informed on the progress of any events that occur!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud ofHellojulie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Hj,

Of course one will not be asked for specific items, at least not initially. Every person's situation is different, every person may have done different things in a different sequence to re-establish their US domicile. There is no fixed list of what is required.

If one answers the question with a blank stare and a "huh?", then one may be given specific examples as the interviewing consular officer attempts to pry a meaningful answer out of a cluless USC.

Regards, JEff
Sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly. Having the bank accounts and drivers license and voting record were not enough for another couple that left the SAME morning as our interview date with a blue slip. They were asked the exact same question we were, and left without a visa.

I realise what people will have will be diffierent - ie not everyone will have children to register in school.

My point was bank accounts ect aren't enough anymore. They want to see that you have actively done things to prepare for your move. I have had a us bank account, drivers license, and voting record the 5 years I've lived in the UK - it doesn't prove anything. it used to be enough and now it's not. If that is all a couple came prepared with it likely wouldn't be enough.

I am saying that while it is wise to have those things, they want to see more.

Last edited by Hellojulie; Apr 12th 2010 at 8:05 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

For right now we are filing the wife's tax returns, arranging with the in-laws on getting a bank account opened up over there for us, getting my injections sorted out with my GP.
I just wanted to point out, in case you weren't aware, that the issue of domicile for your wife will disappear the moment she enters the US ahead of you. This is one of the reasons for the suggestion that she travel to the US ahead of you. Domicile becomes a moot issue once she returns to the US. For families who are unsure whether they can prove domicle or the intent to domicile, having the USC travel to the US ahead of the non-USC spouse's interview removes that burden.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Apr 13th 2010 at 1:09 am.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:16 am

I guess I didn't make my point clearly either.

You said in your post,
"At my husbands visa interview last week - we were asked "Have you done anything with regards to moving back to the US?"

We were not ever asked if I had a US license, US bank account, or voted."

What one has is not important, it's what one has done.

I think we're essentially in agreement, just expressing ourselves differently.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Hellojulie
Sorry, I don't think I made my point clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.