US Visa

Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Harryv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Visa

Hi - I have a situation here:

I got ILR a week ago. And my office will be moved to USA in a years time and I have to go as well.

Now if I got my USA visa stamped on my current passport, and when I get my Red Passport in a years time, is there a way that this USA Visa be transferred to my UK passport

Thanks.
Harry
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Visa

Originally Posted by Harryv
Hi - I have a situation here:

I got ILR a week ago. And my office will be moved to USA in a years time and I have to go as well.

Now if I got my USA visa stamped on my current passport, and when I get my Red Passport in a years time, is there a way that this USA Visa be transferred to my UK passport

Thanks.
Harry
Welcome to BE

What country's passport do you currently have?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The visa does not need to be "transferred". It stands alone.

Some background explanation about the "current" and "Red" passports would be interesting, however.

Regards, JEff
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The visa does not need to be "transferred". It stands alone. ...
Agreed. The visa is for you not the passport.

I am not sure what the situation might be if you gave up your "other" passport, or were stripped of your citizenship by the "other" country, but as long as you retain that you will certainly be OK, and in any case the UK does not require it's citizens to travel only on a British passport, unlike the US, so you could still use your "other" passport, so long as it is still valid of course, and even if the passport expires (goes past its expiry date), the visa will still be valid.

BTW. The US DHS Immigration officers will be the ultimate arbiters of whether you "have" to go when your office relocates to the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 15th 2013 at 3:14 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

"I have to go as well. "

They're forcing you?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are transferred, you and your employer will go through the visa process much closer to your departure date. You will probably only apply for the visa itself a month (or possibly less) before you plan to leave. As such, you will probably have your UK passport by that time. If not, then the above advice applies.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Welcome to BE

What country's passport do you currently have?
I have Indian Passport and I have to return it when I get British passport...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The visa does not need to be "transferred". It stands alone.

Some background explanation about the "current" and "Red" passports would be interesting, however.

Regards, JEff
My Current Passport is Indian, Red Passport is British Passport.

I have to return my Indian passport when I get British passport...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. The visa is for you not the passport.

I am not sure what the situation might be if you gave up your "other" passport, or were stripped of your citizenship by the "other" country, but as long as you retain that you will certainly be OK, and in any case the UK does not require it's citizens to travel only on a British passport, unlike the US, so you could still use your "other" passport, so long as it is still valid of course, and even if the passport expires (goes past its expiry date), the visa will still be valid.

BTW. The US DHS Immigration officers will be the ultimate arbiters of whether you "have" to go when your office relocates to the US.
I have Indian Citizen ship right now with Indian Passport. In due course when I get British Passport, I have to submit my Indian Passport to Indian Embassy/consulate and the Citizen ship will be gone with the passport as well.

So the difficulty is if the US Visa is on Indian passport is there anything which can done to transfer or request US Immigration to transfer the Visa to British Passport.

Probably no as I have changed my citizen ship. But is there a way ???
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot
"I have to go as well. "

They're forcing you?
No no they aren't forcing me...
Its my choice to move to US along with the company.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by retzie
If you are transferred, you and your employer will go through the visa process much closer to your departure date. You will probably only apply for the visa itself a month (or possibly less) before you plan to leave. As such, you will probably have your UK passport by that time. If not, then the above advice applies.
The thing is I can't ask them to postpone the travel date as my office closes in UK by Dec 2014. And my British Passport will not be in my hand even after Feb 2015...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:47 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is I can't ask them to postpone the travel date as my office closes in UK by Dec 2014. And my British Passport will not be in my hand even after Feb 2015...
Ok:

1. Your office is moving to the US in December 2014.
2. You don't have to return your Indian passport until you get your British passport
3. You can't get your British passport until at least Feburary 2015

Surely then your visa will be in your Indian passport and you'll use this to enter the US?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I have to return my Indian passport when I get British passport...
Not directly related to your question, but (i) does the Indian government know you have a British passport? And if so, how? (ii) Assuming they do know, how do they force you to return your Indian passport? Is there a division of the Indian secret service roaming the globe looking for Indians who have acquired another citizenship? (iii) What would happen if you decided to keep your Indian passport?

Related to all of f the above, you DO need to keep your Indian passport so long as you are dependent on the visa in it.

And just out of curiosity, what visa is your employer using to move you to the US?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 19th 2013 at 12:18 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the consular section in London, I expect that the procedure to replace a visa in a lost or stolen passport can be used in this situation.

It seems that you do not yet have the visa? This might be a good issue to discuss when you have your interview.

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify: when OP becomes a British citizen, he will automatically lose Indian citizenship, and his Indian passport will cease to be a valid document.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.