British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   US Tourist Visa for Canadian PR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/us-tourist-visa-canadian-pr-848347/)

sherry9oct Dec 6th 2014 10:40 pm

US Tourist Visa for Canadian PR

I am currently living in Canada Vancouver and want to apply for US tourist visa B-2 I have a few Questions.

1. I am holding a Pakistani manual passport not machine readable will that be a problem?

2. I am new in Canada came 6 months ago from Australia. I am Australian PR as well. Will that cause any problem.

3. How much money do i need to show for a family of three me my wife and a son?

4. My son is holding an Australian passport do I need to apply for his visa if not what should I do just got to border and show passport.

5. Will my job work as connect with Canada?

ian-mstm Dec 7th 2014 12:20 am

Re: US Tourist Visa for Canadian PR

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 11494873)
1. I am holding a Pakistani manual passport not machine readable will that be a problem?

It could be, yes.

2. I am new in Canada came 6 months ago from Australia. I am Australian PR as well. Will that cause any problem.
No.

3. How much money do i need to show for a family of three me my wife and a son?
There's no specific amount needed to apply for the visa. When you enter the US, however, the CBP officer may want to know... and at that point, you'll likely need access to sufficient funds for 3 people for as long as you intend to stay in the US.

4. My son is holding an Australian passport do I need to apply for his visa if not what should I do just got to border and show passport.
Your son is eligible to enter the US on the VWP. He does not need a visa. His visit, however, will be limited to 90-days.

5. Will my job work as connect with Canada?
Probably, yes.

Ian

sherry9oct Dec 7th 2014 5:52 am

Thanks

So I cant apply for US visa with manual passport.

ian-mstm Dec 7th 2014 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 11494986)

Why don't you contact them and find out for sure?

Ian

JAJ Jan 1st 2015 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 11494986)

A manual passport is acceptable as a travel document to the United States, as long as the issuing country continues to accept it as valid. Although it is not acceptable for travel under the Visa Waiver Program, it may be used in conjunction with a valid U.S. visa.

However, you should be aware that there's an international agreement to end the use of manual passports after November 24, 2015. For example:
Pakistan Embassy in Beijing

Even if your passport has an expiry date after November 24, you need to obtain a new machine readable passport if you want to travel internationally after that date.

augigi Jan 2nd 2015 2:08 am

Originally Posted by sherry9oct (Post 11494873)
I am currently living in Canada Vancouver

How are you still an Australian PR if you are "living in Canada"?

Dorothy Jan 2nd 2015 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 11518981)
How are you still an Australian PR if you are "living in Canada"?

Because an Australian pr visa is just that...Permanent. It's only the travel portion that expires.

crg Jan 2nd 2015 4:59 pm

The consulate may be concerned about the short time in Canada and you may have to go though administrative processing.

augigi Jan 3rd 2015 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11519382)
Because an Australian pr visa is just that...Permanent. It's only the travel portion that expires.

I would have thought it was also the second portion - for residents. I guess it looks like you have to stay out for 5 years or more to lose it.

ian-mstm Jan 3rd 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 11520016)
I guess it looks like you have to stay out for 5 years or more to lose it.

Such differences also make it possible to be both a US PR and a CDN PR at the same time.

Ian