Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Senate pushing biometric ID cards.

US Senate pushing biometric ID cards.

Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:55 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Senate pushing biometric ID cards.

Originally Posted by Rete
Can't be much different than the chip in the new passports. I'm not paranoid because I already believe that our Big Lazy-Arse Brother with the large pockets and winged feet already know things about me I never told my mother.
You don't get your passport scanned at Target when you return faulty items. They do that for driver's licenses, and they'll do that for a Federal ID card. So every time some idiot bought you a shirt that doesn't fit, some dumbass at customer service will have you scanning the palm of your hand just to return it.

You'd be better off living in Albania.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:10 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's one of those subjects where many find common ground. I'm in 100% agreement with Chartreuse's posts so far.
I'm fairly sure we've agreed before. Probably something to do with personal finance. That or calling somebody a twat.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
You don't get your passport scanned at Target when you return faulty items. They do that for driver's licenses, and they'll do that for a Federal ID card. So every time some idiot bought you a shirt that doesn't fit, some dumbass at customer service will have you scanning the palm of your hand just to return it.

You'd be better off living in Albania.

I've never had my driver's license scanned in any department store.

And with the recent influx of Albanians in my neighborhood, I probably will be little in Little Albania soon rather than in Little Ireland.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

And with the recent influx of Albanians in my neighborhood, I probably will be little in Little Albania soon rather than in Little Ireland.
I have had my license asked for in multiple places when returning items. I think I've even been asked for it at Wal-mart.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

It's becoming very common when doing returns.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:10 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It is. It started off with them just asking for ZIP codes, then it became full address and phone number, now it's driver's license. My wife returned something to Anne Taylor once, and they asked for her DL. She refused. They insisted. She got them to call management. Management insisted. Eventually they relented, but not after desperately trying to convince her that they can't take it back without the license. Apparently they can, but only the manager can override the system, and you can't do it without the ZIP code.

Now if we're asked for ZIP code, we either say no, or give a false one. If asked for a DL, we say we don't have one, no matter how much they insist it's not used for anything, we don't give it to them. If they don't use it, they don't need it. If I didn't need to provide a DL to purchase the item, I shouldn't need one to return it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

It is. It started off with them just asking for ZIP codes, then it became full address and phone number, now it's driver's license. My wife returned something to Anne Taylor once, and they asked for her DL. She refused. They insisted. She got them to call management. Management insisted. Eventually they relented, but not after desperately trying to convince her that they can't take it back without the license. Apparently they can, but only the manager can override the system, and you can't do it without the ZIP code.

Now if we're asked for ZIP code, we either say no, or give a false one. If asked for a DL, we say we don't have one, no matter how much they insist it's not used for anything, we don't give it to them. If they don't use it, they don't need it. If I didn't need to provide a DL to purchase the item, I shouldn't need one to return it.
Hmm... so what exactly are you hiding?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Now if we're asked for ZIP code, we either say no, or give a false one. If asked for a DL, we say we don't have one, no matter how much they insist it's not used for anything, we don't give it to them.
I just give them my old UK post code and UK driving license and tell them I am visiting.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:31 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by zargof
Hmm... so what exactly are you hiding?

I'm hiding from: piles and piles of junk mail specifically targeted to my prior purchases.

I'm specifically trying to keep as much of my life away from the eyes of these evil bastards.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:31 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by lansbury
I just give them my old UK post code and UK driving license and tell them I am visiting.
I've done that, too. No UKDL, though.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Yep they are tracking returns. My missus has been returning loads to Target of late from her various baby showers - mostly without receipts. She went to return something a few weeks ago and they said she couldn't return any more items without a receipt.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:39 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy: just shop at Amazon.com.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
It's easy: just shop at Amazon.com.
But you're not biased are you?

But yeah, they want licenses to track returns because if you return too much too often without receipts they begin to think you're stealing the items.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:54 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
But you're not biased are you?
Could be, Zaphod, only could be...
But yeah, they want licenses to track returns because if you return too much too often without receipts they begin to think you're stealing the items.
That's the real reason: it's to stop people getting free rentals, nothing to do with identification.

BTW, if you want an outstanding, unbeatable return policy, try Zappos...
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nettlebed
BTW, if you want an outstanding, unbeatable return policy, try Zappos...
Wonder why you recommend them, eh?

But oh yes, I'm very familiar with Zappos and their great return policy. Their FC is only a 30min drive away too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.