Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Passport for child born in UK - now living in USA

US Passport for child born in UK - now living in USA

Old Nov 18th 2021, 12:00 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport for child born in UK - now living in USA

Originally Posted by tht
I thought “by descent” was the UK term. While the US rules are similar in some ways (and the intent) it is not the same.
I was using it in a general sense. It wasn’t to imply that the law was the same.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 8:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport for child born in UK - now living in USA

Originally Posted by tht
If you were “King” you would not be in charge in the US… but if you were Secretary of Homeland Security and appointed by a President who had the house and 60+ senators why not issue a document that would allow said USC to travel… sure it would be nice for a USC to have proof of citizenship… but if you are giving up a document that allows you to travel for one that does not it would only be half the solution…. May the most practical would be a stamp in the foreign passport allowing travel for 6 months to give the USC time to get a US passport. Would solve a lot of issues if they did the same at the Oath ceremony…
The "if I was king" is a figure of speech I picked up in a Consular Officer discussion group I was a member of. I kind of liked it.

There are a lot of weird things in immigration law that are a result of history and administrative inertia.

On instant acquisition/naturalization upon admission as an LPR, the government already exempts such immigrants from the affidavit of support requirements. It is not a big jump to alter the admission documentation IMHO.

As a matter of history, it used to be that a naturalization applicant could file an ancillary application for issuance of a certificate of citizenship upon naturalization of the parents. It was a short form and the filing fee was pretty nominal. No idea why this sensible procedure was eliminated.