Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US passport application for 17 year old of Naturalized parents

Thank you so much everyone. I'm been totally freaking out. I shall make an appointment asap.... I'm guessing I can do this through the embassy website?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.. both parents and the son have to go in person, so just take all the papers and they'll get it figured out.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Thank you so much everyone. I'm been totally freaking out. I shall make an appointment asap.... I'm guessing I can do this through the embassy website?
Don't freak out about it...you have to do what you have to do to get his PP...just take it in your stride. Good luck.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't freak out about it...you have to do what you have to do to get his PP...just take it in your stride. Good luck.
I do know that you need to have your marriage certificate and his birth certificate as well as your original naturalization certificates.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 10:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
We managed to get the US passports for 4 of us before leaving the USA however due to the problem I explained in my post above, we had no choice to leave without our 17 year olds passport. We could not apply for the N-600 as we would have needed to remain in the US until after a certificate of cit'ship was issued and we had to return to the UK.
You still need to file the N-600. There is a DHS field office in London that may help?

Why? Because if your son ever loses his US passport, he will be left without proof of citizenship (bad situation) and proving things from scratch in 15-20 years may be difficult/impossible.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You still need to file the N-600. There is a DHS field office in London that may help?

Why? Because if your son ever loses his US passport, he will be left without proof of citizenship (bad situation) and proving things from scratch in 15-20 years may be difficult/impossible.
Hi:

When given a choice, I have preferred getting a passport. Historically, the passport records of the State Department have been better than the records of the former DHS.

However, in a belts and braces approach, it is not a bad idea to file an N-600.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

When given a choice, I have preferred getting a passport. Historically, the passport records of the State Department have been better than the records of the former DHS.

However, in a belts and braces approach, it is not a bad idea to file an N-600.
It is always important to have a separate stand-alone proof of citizenship.

A born USC has a US birth certificate, those with USC parents normally have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and naturalized USCs have a certificate.

Those who become USC by a process of law are in a potentially vulnerable position if they cannot prove that process of law actually occurred. Yes, State Dept has passport records but it's never recommended to rely on one source if there is an alternative.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is always important to have a separate stand-alone proof of citizenship.

A born USC has a US birth certificate, those with USC parents normally have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and naturalized USCs have a certificate.

Those who become USC by a process of law are in a potentially vulnerable position if they cannot prove that process of law actually occurred. Yes, State Dept has passport records but it's never recommended to rely on one source if there is an alternative.
Hi:

Then we are in total agreement.