US job offer and visa confusion!

Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

hoping2go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US job offer and visa confusion!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They have to apply for it. And as Bob said, if it's a H1B, they cannot apply until 1st April, for an October start.

You'd be on a H4, so would be unable to work on that visa. Have a good hunt around the forum for things to ask for in the contract/relocation package - the main one would be to get in writing that they'll apply for green cards for you by a certain date, in case you decide you want to make the move a permanent one.

HTH, good luck.

Thank you
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

hoping2go is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry..me again.
Just re-reading the visa details. Hubby doesny have a degree but has vast experience and I see the following in the h1b visa requirements:
; An evaluation from an official who has authority to grant credit for the training and/or experience the employee has undertaken;
Any idea where we would go to to get this sort of thing written up and accredited? I'm assumed we need some sort of professional?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoping2go
Sorry..me again.
Just re-reading the visa details. Hubby doesny have a degree but has vast experience and I see the following in the h1b visa requirements:
; An evaluation from an official who has authority to grant credit for the training and/or experience the employee has undertaken;
Any idea where we would go to to get this sort of thing written up and accredited? I'm assumed we need some sort of professional?
The company lawyer will get his career progression, like I said, of 12 years of career growth and responsibilities.

They might even use a agency to evaluate the experiences towards a degree, such as WES.

It's not something you need to worry about or do, except get in touch with all previous employers to state what career growths and responsibilities were and how they grew with time.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:03 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The job needs to be of a type generally requiring a degree. You haven't stated what it is. Your spouse, for example, might be a wizard at rebuilding Porsche 911 engines and can do it blindfolded, but this would not lead to an H1b visa.
Lol- we have a friend who got an "O" visa becasue of his knowledge of rally car engine technology. He works for one of the NASCAR teams. Supermodels can also get H-1Bs.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
Supermodels can also get H-1Bs.
Really? How exactly does being a supermodel require a degree?!?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:12 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

It doesn't. But it does/can get you an H-1B.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would certainly give her one.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Lol- we have a friend who got an "O" visa becasue of his knowledge of rally car engine technology. He works for one of the NASCAR teams. Supermodels can also get H-1Bs.
Yep -- in my time looking at immigration I've also heard of people taking advantage of their prowess at doll house building and fish frying to claim status -- no idea how successful they were.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:19 pm
Waiting for GC

They have to apply for it. And as Bob said, if it's a H1B, they cannot apply until 1st April, for an October start.

You'd be on a H4, so would be unable to work on that visa. Have a good hunt around the forum for things to ask for in the contract/relocation package - the main one would be to get in writing that they'll apply for green cards for you by a certain date, in case you decide you want to make the move a permanent one.

HTH, good luck.

:#
and be prepared for a long #currently 8 years for UK born) wait once your green card application has been approved.
I'm on H4 via husbands H-1B , but have an approved GC petition from 2008 for a RN job I was offered. Still have 2-3 years to wait.
Meanwhile husband is applying for GC EB2. Hopefully the application won't get audited by DOL and I might ctually be able to work again.
Bummer when you have 25 years exp and a Bachelors in a shortage occupation that makes a difference.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:22 pm
Waiting for GC

Originally Posted by Boiler
Guess if you're into skinny women with no boobs or bums
Mind Katy Price doesn't fit that description, she's just ugly!
Guess that's how she got to live here, unless she has a degree of course.
Although she's a glamor model, not supermodel
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't. But it does/can get you an H-1B.
Really not sure how even the best immigration lawyer would put a case forward saying that a degree is required for modelling!

and be prepared for a long #currently 8 years for UK born) wait once your green card application has been approved.
Doesn't it depend on the category you've filed under? EB1 and EB2 are current aren't they, so not everybody would have to wait 8 years.

Mind Katy Price doesn't fit that description, she's just ugly!
Guess that's how she got to live here, unless she has a degree of course.
Although she's a glamor model, not supermodel
Which would be brilliant logic, if only she did actually live in the US. She lives in Sussex.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

They can. It's one of the exceptions.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They can. It's one of the exceptions.
So is it that USCIS think being a model requires a degree, or that the normal 'job needing a degree' requirement is waived for models? Mind you, in the US every job seems to need a degree, so I guess it does make sense after all!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:00 pm
Septicity

So is it that USCIS think being a model requires a degree, or that the normal 'job needing a degree' requirement is waived for models? Mind you, in the US every job seems to need a degree, so I guess it does make sense after all!
Often they tack stuff onto the existing structure rather than creating a special visa. Sometimes they do it another way. For example, Singapore was honoured with a special allocation of H1b visas. When Bush wanted to get into bed with Australia as well, they invented the new E3 visa. Inconsistency is the only consistency in US immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.