US job offer and visa confusion!

Old May 24th 2012, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US job offer and visa confusion!

Originally Posted by gemmabl
I was on an H-4 visa for several years, and it didn't stop me from going to school - two years of high school, and a year of university.
I'm guessing you weren't the spouse of a USC at the time.

Ian
Old May 24th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm guessing you weren't the spouse of a USC at the time.

Ian
I thought you were allowed to study on an H4, because I was thinking of doing an online course.... is that not the case
Old May 24th 2012, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would the H-4 restrictions vary from person to person?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Not only may you study on H-4, but you could qualify for reduced "resident" fees, lower than the foreign student fees you'd pay on F-1.
Old May 24th 2012, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I thought you were allowed to study on an H4, because I was thinking of doing an online course.... is that not the case
Oops... my bad! I just double checked and you're right - you can study on an H-4 visa.

Sorry!

Ian
Old May 24th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oops... my bad! I just double checked and you're right - you can study on an H-4 visa.

Sorry!

Ian
No apology necessary Ian, you are seldom wrong in what you post here, I just nearly had a heart attack
Old May 24th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by henryh
Not only may you study on H-4, but you could qualify for reduced "resident" fees, lower than the foreign student fees you'd pay on F-1.
Without hijacking this thread, could I ask a quick question?? Can my daughter, on an H4 visa, train/study to become a hairdresser in a salon. She has just got her license but needs training in order for her to become a confident stylist. Is this a grey area or is it black and white. If a salon allowed her to train with them for free, would that be classed as her taking a position from an American and be illegal?? Sorry if this is a daft question, I'm just trying to see if there's anything that she can do, at 18 years old, she is so depressed being stuck in here with me
Old May 24th 2012, 5:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Without hijacking this thread, could I ask a quick question?? Can my daughter, on an H4 visa, train/study to become a hairdresser in a salon. She has just got her license but needs training in order for her to become a confident stylist. Is this a grey area or is it black and white. If a salon allowed her to train with them for free, would that be classed as her taking a position from an American and be illegal?? Sorry if this is a daft question, I'm just trying to see if there's anything that she can do, at 18 years old, she is so depressed being stuck in here with me
She could study, yes. She could train if that's part of her study curriculum and she doesn't get paid for it, and it's a training thing that every student does as part of the course. She can volunteer for a salon if NO ONE EVER gets paid for that position. She cannot do a job for free, that someone else would have gotten paid for. She cannot be "paid" by any other means, either, such as gift cards, reimbursement of her own expenses, meals, etc.

Rene
Old May 24th 2012, 5:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How about volunteering to do hair at a homeless or women's shelter?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She could study, yes. She could train if that's part of her study curriculum and she doesn't get paid for it, and it's a training thing that every student does as part of the course. She can volunteer for a salon if NO ONE EVER gets paid for that position. She cannot do a job for free, that someone else would have gotten paid for. She cannot be "paid" by any other means, either, such as gift cards, reimbursement of her own expenses, meals, etc.

Rene
What about tips?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What about tips?
No tips! Tips are considered income.

Rene
Old May 24th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No tips! Tips are considered income.

Rene
You know, I can just about handle being stuck in the house 24/7, and I'm seriously thinking about volunteering and doing a course of study, but I feel really sorry for my daughter, she is so bored. Now that she's qualified and licensed, she cannot progress and I feel really bad putting her in that position. I'm going to see if there's any local nursing homes that maybe the residents would like their hair done for free, just so that she doesn't lose any of the skills she's learned. This has to be the biggest downside of being here as we all love living where we are and I didn't realise or think much about the impact of her being stuck in here with her old fogey of a mother and on hindsight, we should have fought with the school to take her instead of just accepting the situation, another learning curve Sorry for going off topic
Old May 24th 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

This varies a lot from school to school. My university wouldn't let me pay anything but the international student rate until I had my green card. My brother's college (which was less than 20 miles from mine) let him have in-state tuition on his H-4.
Old May 25th 2012, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But the trade off would not being able to work part time on campus, that a F1 would be able to do.