Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Immigration with dual canadian/uk

US Immigration with dual canadian/uk

Old May 19th 2014, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Yankee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Immigration with dual canadian/uk

As Im reading through previous post the opportunities look grim to say the least but I want to confirm the suspicions.

My partner and I are looking to move to the US (not married/heterosexual) and we are not finding much in our options to do so. I am an American citizen, she has dual citizenship as Canadian/British. She is currently finishing a certificate to be able to teach (primary school) in Australia (where we currently reside - myself on a 457 business visa and her on a student visa). I don't believe that her education/experience would validate a visa or have any bearing on the TN NAFTA professionals route. We are not engaged and no plans at the moment to be. Her student visa expires early next year and sponsorship as a teacher in Australia isn't a real possibility - which means she will be leaving at the expiration of her visa.

Are there any real possibilities for her to immigrate to the US with me?
Old May 19th 2014, 4:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Immigration with dual canadian/uk

Originally Posted by Yankee
As Im reading through previous post the opportunities look grim to say the least but I want to confirm the suspicions.

My partner and I are looking to move to the US (not married/heterosexual) and we are not finding much in our options to do so. I am an American citizen, she has dual citizenship as Canadian/British. She is currently finishing a certificate to be able to teach (primary school) in Australia (where we currently reside - myself on a 457 business visa and her on a student visa). I don't believe that her education/experience would validate a visa or have any bearing on the TN NAFTA professionals route. We are not engaged and no plans at the moment to be. Her student visa expires early next year and sponsorship as a teacher in Australia isn't a real possibility - which means she will be leaving at the expiration of her visa.

Are there any real possibilities for her to immigrate to the US with me?
Most likely only if you are willing to marry.

Rene
Old May 19th 2014, 10:15 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the above, she seems to have little to no chance based on her employment etc - which means marriage is the best/only option.
Old May 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yankee
We are not engaged and no plans at the moment to be.
I expect that's going to change very quickly! You need to know that a visa based on marriage is going to take 8-10 months to process, so if you're planning on returning to the US next year, then plan accordingly.

Ian
Old May 19th 2014, 1:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Most likely only if you are willing to marry. ....
She might be eligible for a cohabiting domestic partner B2, but that assumes you can prove you meet the prescribed cohabitation visa requirements, and she would not be able to work, at all.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
She might be eligible for a cohabiting domestic partner B2, but that assumes you can prove you meet the prescribed cohabitation visa requirements, and she would not be able to work, at all.
That only works when neither partner is a USC.

Rene
Old May 19th 2014, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That only works when neither partner is a USC. .....
Weird. I did not know that, so I learned something today.

It seems like a prejudical inconsistency in the processing of immigration visas that I am surprised that the executive branch hasn't implemented one of their end runs around.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. Three choices...

1. Get married.
2. Stay where you are.
3. Split up!

Sorry, but them's the facts.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

That only works when neither partner is a USC.

Rene
I didn't know that. [Actually, there is a limited circumstance where cohabiting partner of an AmCit can come on a B-2].
Old May 20th 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I didn't know that. [Actually, there is a limited circumstance where cohabiting partner of an AmCit can come on a B-2].
Ah, thanks. I did not know THAT! LOL

Rene
Old May 20th 2014, 12:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know THAT! LOL
I didn't know that either... so, it's been a good day since we've all learned something.

Ian
Old May 20th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Can you elaborate or point to some document since after about an hour of searching on the internet, I can only find indications that the B-2 cohabitating visa can be used in conjunction with other visas.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Can you elaborate or point to some document since after about an hour of searching on the internet, I can only find indications that the B-2 cohabitating visa can be used in conjunction with other visas.
It took me 5 minutes. There is a search program called "Google" which might be of assistance. That is what I used just now to confirm that I was right.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It took me 5 minutes. There is a search program called "Google" which might be of assistance. That is what I used just now to confirm that I was right.
Maybe my search engine or brain is faulty since I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone else find the reference?
Old May 20th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe my search engine or brain is faulty since I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone else find the reference?
I wouldn't know where to begin.

I suspect that Mr. F was successful with his Google search because he knew the right thing to search for ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.