British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   US greencard without a degree? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/us-greencard-without-degree-657855/)

EricK Mar 5th 2010 12:30 am

US greencard without a degree?

I left Uni before completing my degree - in the UK it hasn't held me back in my career in any way, however now I am over here in the US on an L1A visa I will at some point soon need to think about a green card. Is there a requirement for a green card applicant to have a degree?

tonrob Mar 5th 2010 12:46 am

Re: US greencard without a degree?

Originally Posted by EricK (Post 8395022)
I left Uni before completing my degree - in the UK it hasn't held me back in my career in any way, however now I am over here in the US on an L1A visa I will at some point soon need to think about a green card. Is there a requirement for a green card applicant to have a degree?

No.

fatbrit Mar 5th 2010 1:15 am

Nope!

sangiano Mar 5th 2010 1:27 am

To give you more than a no answer.

Depending on category, experience can be counted rather than the qualification (I can't remember the formula).

In simple terms,

EB3 requires a Bachelors degree.

EB2 requires a Masters or Bachelors + 5 years experience.

EB1A & EB1B usually have PhD although not a formal requirement.

EB1C has no formal requirement. It is the place in the organization and duties that count.

The natural progression from L1A is to EB1C.

It's a bit of a simple explanation, but I hope it helps.

EricK Mar 5th 2010 1:34 am

That's excellent, many thanks for the replies.

S Folinsky Mar 5th 2010 3:16 am

Originally Posted by sangiano (Post 8395123)
EB3 requires a Bachelors degree.
EB2 requires a Masters or Bachelors + 5 years experience.

You left out three words. Regarding EB-3, you omitted the words "does not" before "require." On EB-2, you left out the word "progressive" between "years" and "experience." Advice is given nor intended.

MsElui Mar 5th 2010 3:34 am

my husband was an L1A. He has an HND but no degree. He has a lot of work experience though. he had no issue getting his visa in 2007 or his Greencard earlier last year.

nettlebed Mar 5th 2010 3:38 am

What hasn't been pointed out yet, is that the easy way to do it is to marry a USC (but not for the sole reason of gaining a green card).

Day77 Mar 5th 2010 3:59 am

mselui what is a HND but no degree.???

just wondered is all!

thanks!

nettlebed Mar 5th 2010 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Day77 (Post 8395368)
mselui what is a HND but no degree.???

just wondered is all!

thanks!

HND is a Higher National Diploma. In the UK it is considered equivalent to the beginning of a degree course, but is not equivalent to a full degree. I guess the equivalent in the US would be an Associate's Degree.

Day77 Mar 5th 2010 4:13 am

Hey Nettlebed

thanks for the heads up!!! :rofl:

not sure if its the same but i have AN NVQ (national Vocation Qualification) Level 2 in retail. probably not..lol

nettlebed Mar 5th 2010 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Day77 (Post 8395387)
not sure if its the same but i have AN NVQ (national Vocation Qualification) Level 2 in retail. probably not..lol

Not, I'm afraid: an NVQ is a work-based qualification, not an educational certificate.

sangiano Mar 5th 2010 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 8395300)
You left out three words. Regarding EB-3, you omitted the words "does not" before "require." On EB-2, you left out the word "progressive" between "years" and "experience." Advice is given nor intended.

Absolutely agree Mr. F.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the "progressive" experience is an important addition. My bad.

It was, as stated, a very simplified explanation, sufficient, I think, for the OPs initial question. It probably reasonably accurately reflects what would "more often than not" be needed to get a PERM approved at this time.

I agree it could have been phrased better.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 5th 2010 2:03 pm

Advice is given nor intended

A not mising. Possibly also a comma and a full stop.

What are the legal ramifications?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

S Folinsky Mar 5th 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 8396409)

A not mising. Possibly also a comma and a full stop.

What are the legal ramifications?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Mea culpa. "No advice given nor intended." Thank you!