Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

earpini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Government reviewing policy to UK Cautions

When will the February transcript be available? My attorney claims that the Embassy are now working through these cases but I am skeptical
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

aswales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hopeful8288
So the attorney has advised him to not travel to the US at this point. He basically advised to be patient and wait it out as there is no other option. He was confident that the visa will be granted- just not sure when.

It seems as though some people have been waiting for the decision on this matter since early Fall? Hopefully that means it will be resolved soon...
I was in the USA before christmas on a L1 visa, I lost it and had to go to the embassy when I came back after christmas (6th Jan Interview) to find that it was as simple as just replacing the visa. I am now still waiting to see if the visa will be approved.

I have a caution from 13 years ago.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aswales
I was in the USA before christmas on a L1 visa, I lost it and had to go to the embassy when I came back after christmas (6th Jan Interview) to find that it was as simple as just replacing the visa. I am now still waiting to see if the visa will be approved.

I have a caution from 13 years ago.
***Wasn't*** as simple!

Hopefully we hear something soon...
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

February transcript now uploaded. No change in the situation.

Q: Hello, I was just wondering if their were any updates with regards to the ongoing reviews for UK police cautions? O have applied for a B2 non-immigrant visa to travel on a family holiday in May this year, I went for my interview in December last year and have still yet to hear anything, is there any news on this or updates? Thanks in advance.

A: U.S. Government policy regarding criminal cautions in the United Kingdom remains under review at this time. If you have been advised that further action in your visa application is awaiting the completion of the review, you will be contacted directly once the outcome is known.
Q: Hello, I was just wondering if there was any updates regarding the us government review of UK police cautions, and their bearing on obtaining a non-immigrant visa? I went for my interview nearly 3 months ago and still havent heard anything. Is there any time frame on this or is it still being looked into? There must be quite a backlog of applicants waiting to hear now. Thanks in advance any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

A: There is no set period of time that the review may take. Please check our answer to a question about cautions earlier in this webchat for more information.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
February transcript now uploaded. No change in the situation.
I also found this. Dont know if it helps anyone?

February 25, 2014: New policy on cautions
Although a formal statement has yet to be released, it appears that the US government has completed reviewing its policy on UK cautions and has decided that cautions received for crimes involving moral turpitude or drugs-related offences will be treated as convictions for US immigration purposes. If this decision is finalised, visa applicants with such cautions would require a waiver of ineligibility, even if previous visa applications had been approved without a waiver. Waivers of ineligibility are currently taking 18 to 20 weeks from the day of visa application and consular officer’s recommendation. Please see our articles A Crime Involving Moral Turpitude! What in the World is That? and Washington, We Have a Problem! Ineligibilities and Waivers for additional information. We will report further updates on this matter when available.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Although a formal statement has yet to be released, it appears that the US government has completed reviewing its policy on UK cautions and has decided that cautions received for crimes involving moral turpitude or drugs-related offences will be treated as convictions for US immigration purposes. If this decision is finalised, visa applicants with such cautions would require a waiver of ineligibility, even if previous visa applications had been approved without a waiver. Waivers of ineligibility are currently taking 18 to 20 weeks from the day of visa application and consular officer’s recommendation. Please see our articles A Crime Involving Moral Turpitude! What in the World is That? and Washington, We Have a Problem! Ineligibilities and Waivers for additional information. We will report further updates on this matter when available.
If this were to be the case, one assumes that the workload, and therefore the length of time for a decision, would increase dramatically.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

n1cholas90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Looks like it's bad news then!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by n1cholas90
Wow. Looks like it's bad news then!
Unfortunately yes, but to be honest any new is welcome right now!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

earpini is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that speculation (if true) has to be considered good news. At least there is some sort of timeline. In all honesty whether approved or rejected, it's the in limbo situation which is really getting me down.

From those comments I'm hoping to receive a letter and then a recommendation for a waiver. If that takes 20 weeks and results in an approval - I'd take it all day long.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by earpini
I think that speculation (if true) has to be considered good news. At least there is some sort of timeline. In all honesty whether approved or rejected, it's the in limbo situation which is really getting me down.

From those comments I'm hoping to receive a letter and then a recommendation for a waiver. If that takes 20 weeks and results in an approval - I'd take it all day long.
Me too, i'm still paying rent and have clothes in the house in the USA.

My company is just waiting to get me back out there. It's crazy how a caution from 13 years ago can affect your life now!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

True! I was just, as i'm sure we all were, hoping for news that a waiver still would not be needed!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:41 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a link to that?

Anyone know if there is a penalty with a caution such as a fine, fee, or any other costs?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:44 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A caution is in itself a punishment - no further fine etc is attached and it never goes before a court.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

A caution is recorded on the person's record at a police station and no further action taken.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
A caution is in itself a punishment - no further fine etc is attached and it never goes before a court.
Isn't it a form of expedited, police-administered justice?
The police get their "conviction" and the person accused can go home, avoiding court/prison (which may never have been a serious prospect anyway) but with a criminal record, even if they don't understand it at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.