Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US citizenship through grand parent

US citizenship through grand parent

Old May 12th 2018, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Jbg03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US citizenship through grand parent

My grand father was US citizen through naturalization. He served US Coast Guard on his early years. He had my mother before he came to US. My mother was never been to US and was not a US citizen. They’re both passed away already. I’m on my 70’s now and wondering if I can get US citizenship through my grand father. Thank you!
Old May 12th 2018, 8:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizenship through grand parent

You cannot derive US Citizenship from your Grandfather directly. If your mother was not a US Citizen and never lived in the US, she would have needed to gain USC herself, then meet the presence test, in order to pass it to you.
Old May 12th 2018, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your answer.
Old May 12th 2018, 9:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jbg03
My grand father was US citizen through naturalization. He served US Coast Guard on his early years. He had my mother before he came to US. My mother was never been to US and was not a US citizen. They’re both passed away already. I’m on my 70’s now and wondering if I can get US citizenship through my grand father. Thank you!
How old was your mother when your grandfather naturalized?
Old May 12th 2018, 9:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn’t matter, she couldn’t pass on citizenship as she never lived in the US.
Old May 12th 2018, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It doesn’t matter, she couldn’t pass on citizenship as she never lived in the US.
I thought there was a way to get citizenship from a grandparent? I've certainly seen it mentioned on the forum before, I noticed as my grandmother was a USC, although as I have no interest in US citizenship I didn't really pay any attention to the details or requirements.
Old May 12th 2018, 1:40 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I thought there was a way to get citizenship from a grandparent? I've certainly seen it mentioned on the forum before, I noticed as my grandmother was a USC, although as I have no interest in US citizenship I didn't really pay any attention to the details or requirements.
The INA doesn't directly address the question, but this website does:

Old May 12th 2018, 1:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The subject is covered indepth on a lengthy thread found here: Anyone done N600K recently?

If you were to get US Citizenship through a grandparent at your current age (70), what purpose would it serve you? Were you planning on moving to the US permanently and/or to purchase a retirement home and live in the US for a winter months, etc. Are you fully aware of the costly healthcare you will have to purchase at your age in order to live in the US as you would not be entitled to US social security medicare when you first arrive. As a US Citizen, yes, in some states you might be able to get state healthcare at a smaller cost or even be eligible for free Medicaid healthcare but that is state dependent and not available in all states.

I'm entitled to German citizenship and passport but have not applied simply because I cannot afford to pay for healthcare to live in Germany. Yes, a German passport would simplify traveling and living for a few months in countries in the EU but US Citizenship is only good for living in the US and doesn't extend to other countries. I don't believe you would be able to pass US Citizenship on to your children and/or grandchildren as you never lived in the US for the required amount of time before and after the age of 14.
Old May 12th 2018, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The INA doesn't directly address the question, but this website does:
That website completely contradicts the website in the link Rete has given though......curiouser and curiouser.
Old May 12th 2018, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
How old was your mother when your grandfather naturalized?
she was around 6 years old that time
Old May 13th 2018, 2:06 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jbg03

she was around 6 years old that time
Obviously we are going back some way into the past when laws may have been different. Under current rules if her father naturalized when she was 6 and she was in his legal custody at the time then she naturalised too. Maybe it was different then.

Old May 13th 2018, 2:10 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The subject is covered indepth on a lengthy thread found here: Anyone done N600K recently?

If you were to get US Citizenship through a grandparent at your current age (70), what purpose would it serve you?
Maybe he just wants to vote?
Old May 13th 2018, 2:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Maybe he just wants to vote?
. . . and be liable for taxation on worldwide income?
Old May 13th 2018, 4:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
. . . and be liable for taxation on worldwide income?
Indeed! Everyone wants the benefits but doesn’t want to know of the responsibilities!
Old May 13th 2018, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 daughters born in Canada...for whom I chose not to file a record of live birth, by the age deadline, with the U.S. embassy. Now..the only path to citizenship for them would be to apply for a green card like other immigrants and follow the same rules. So you have no chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.