Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Citizen apply for parents and siblings

US Citizen apply for parents and siblings

Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Bhinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen apply for parents and siblings

HI everybody,

I' m currently a green card holder and will be citizen after a short while.
I have some questions??? My parents and siblings are still in INDIA and i need to apply for them. So, on my applications for parents , can my brother/sister come along with them?
or, i've to apply for them differnently?
Thanks
Manmeet
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen apply for parents and siblings

You can apply for your parents and if you are a USC they are eligible for immediate relative visas (after the I-130 and US Consulate processing and approval). However, your siblings will not receive derivative visas from your parents. You can apply for them but the wait for them is 12 plus years.

Originally Posted by Bhinder
HI everybody,

I have some questions??? My parents and siblings are still in INDIA and i need to apply for them. So, on my applications for parents , can my brother/sister come along with them?
Thanks
Manmeet
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

HI everybody,

Thanks
Manmeet
Separate applications for siblings. And they'll have a long wait.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You can apply for your parents and if you are a USC they are eligible for immediate relative visas (after the I-130 and US Consulate processing and approval). However, your siblings will not receive derivative visas from your parents. You can apply for them but the wait for them is 12 plus years.
Thanks Rete.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Separate applications for siblings. And they'll have a long wait.
If the children are under 21 unmarried...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

No difference still a long wait and have to be filed seperately
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No difference. There is no derivative benefits for a USC in filing for parents and siblings. You can if you are a resident only but that defeats the purpose as well since they have to remain unmarried, etc. and the wait is still very long for their quota to become current.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My parents and siblings are still in INDIA and i need to apply for them.
Since no one specifically mentioned it, you can not file for any of them until you are a USC.

Ian
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:41 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since no one specifically mentioned it, you can not file for any of them until you are a USC.

Ian

No need to as he said he is to become a USC shortly.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:48 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

No difference. There is no derivative benefits for a USC in filing for parents and siblings. You can if you are a resident only but that defeats the purpose as well since they have to remain unmarried, etc. and the wait is still very long for their quota to become current.
And rightly so. Tough enough to get into the US on your own merits IMHO.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No need to as he said he is to become a USC shortly.
Umm... likely not so soon! Two weeks ago, he didn't even have a green card! So unless his GC arrived in the last 2 weeks, he's still got at least 3 years to wait before he's even eligible for citizenship. If he's still waiting for a GC, it could be many years more.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433907

Ian
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... likely not so soon! Two weeks ago, he didn't even have a green card! So unless his GC arrived in the last 2 weeks, he's still got at least 3 years to wait before he's even eligible for citizenship. If he's still waiting for a GC, it could be many years more.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433907

Ian
Ah - and he never bothered to say thank-you for the useful advice he got last time...