Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

US Canada border crossing Niagara Falls

US Canada border crossing Niagara Falls

Old Feb 14th 2010, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice
Default Re: US Canada border crossing Niagara Falls

Ian,

With all due sincere respect for your experience and knowledge, I know for a fact that the US CBP at times may actually be stopping and searching cars exiting the US.
Of course, the CBP/Border Patrol have the judicial powers to do so within 100 miles of any land border, port or airport handling commercial/passenger traffic.
A recent case in point is the experience of Canadian SF author Dr Peter Watts, who experienced such an exit check this last December when exiting the US by car at the Canadian border. This case is now being discussed all over the Internet,
Whether the subsequent behaviour of Dr Watts was unwise or not is another question altogether.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
CBP/Border Patrol have the judicial powers to do so within 100 miles of any land border, port or airport handling commercial/passenger traffic.
CBP has absolutely no jurisdiction on the Canadian side of the border, although they can ask (nicely and politely) for the Canadian authorities to get involved. They can, of course, do whatever they want as long as they're still on the US side of the border!

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
Ian,

With all due sincere respect for your experience and knowledge, I know for a fact that the US CBP at times may actually be stopping and searching cars exiting the US.
Of course, the CBP/Border Patrol have the judicial powers to do so within 100 miles of any land border, port or airport handling commercial/passenger traffic.
A recent case in point is the experience of Canadian SF author Dr Peter Watts, who experienced such an exit check this last December when exiting the US by car at the Canadian border. This case is now being discussed all over the Internet,
Whether the subsequent behaviour of Dr Watts was unwise or not is another question altogether.
That is not the same thing as exit controls.

You must have something much worse than immigrant intent on your record if you're spending your time discussing this stuff online!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

AnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to allAnjLeicestershire is a name known to all

Did cross the border from NY to Canada without any problems. I was asked the following questions upon entering Canada (I love Canada!! it is so British it made me miss home (---) :- (1) Where do I live - (2) Where do I work - (3) From which state did I rent the car - and that was all.

Coming back to US after 2 days. i was asked (1) Why did i go to Canada - (2) How long i stayed in Canada (3) Where do I live and work.
and that was it. No new entry cards no stamps. All good.

Thanks you all for your pre-advise.

Cheers
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Glad to hear that you had such uneventful crossings both ways, especially going back into the US.
You must have been quite exceptionally lucky as for the US CBP agent manning "your" booth...
Good for you!
And yes, Canada (obviously excepting Quebec) does feel quite charmingly British in many, often rather subtle ways. I do love Canada, too.