British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Urgent passport re-newel question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/urgent-passport-re-newel-question-497565/)

USAGypsies Dec 3rd 2007 4:53 am

Urgent passport re-newel question

As Christmas get's closer we are feeling the pull. I told my Husband that loads of people on ex-pat's are going home for Christmas and that I am very jealous. Now, after all we said, we are seriously considering going home for a trip... only not for Christmas day itself but flying out on boxing day and staying 10 nights. Partly because we want to 'test' our feelings and partly because we haven't seen family for waaaaay to long and my OH's ailing Mother has not even met her grand daughter yet but mostly because if I don't get a Tesco's Luxury Christmas Pudding and at least 1 box of 6 Marks and Spencers Mince pies to myself this year I'm really going to lose it.

Here's my panic... my passport expired last May. If I make a mad dash over to CVS tomorrow and get passport photos and get my application completed ( I already have it half filled out in the kitchen drawer), and I pop a print out of the flight I am hoping to book with virgin - I saved the itinary on my computer for the dates/times we want but can't actually book for a week yet), and mailed it all to the British Consulate in DC (maybe with a pathetic begging note attached), do you think I'll get the passport back in time? Last minute panic's are my forte but I'm not sure how far I'm pushing this one.

Serenity Dec 3rd 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Urgent passport re-newel question

This is the info from the British Embassy FAQ:

The Summer and the Winter holidays are the busiest periods of the year for issuing passports. We aim to process straightforward applications in 10 working days. First time applications, and those which do not contain all the supporting documents or the correct fee, will inevitably take longer. If you have a date by which you need the passport to travel, please enter this on page 1 of the passport form. The overall time taken to process a passport can be reduced by sending your application through an express mail company.

Dave_Was Dec 3rd 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 5628058)
This is the info from the British Embassy FAQ:

The Summer and the Winter holidays are the busiest periods of the year for issuing passports. We aim to process straightforward applications in 10 working days. First time applications, and those which do not contain all the supporting documents or the correct fee, will inevitably take longer. If you have a date by which you need the passport to travel, please enter this on page 1 of the passport form. The overall time taken to process a passport can be reduced by sending your application through an express mail company.

When I applied for my wife's UK visa in the states last year, they quoted a 5 day turn around time and in fact it took 4 weeks. The answer I consistently got, was it was a busy time.

I'd wait till you got it back before booking the trip.

USAGypsies Dec 3rd 2007 5:13 pm

I have tried to call the Consilate this morning and was on hold and ended up with no more information than when I started. They say to call the 1 900 285 7277 number to get passport information but I keep getting a message telling me the call can not be completed as dialed. I've dialed with the 1 and without the 1.... am I doing something wrong?

Dave_Was Dec 3rd 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5628302)
I have tried to call the Consilate this morning and was on hold and ended up with no more information than when I started. They say to call the 1 900 285 7277 number to get passport information but I keep getting a message telling me the call can not be completed as dialed. I've dialed with the 1 and without the 1.... am I doing something wrong?

Sometimes those 900 numbers are blocked by the phone company and you have to request to have them unblocked.

Did you try calling the freephone number and pay with the credit card?

The number is 1-800 630 3332 but remember it's $2.49 per minute.

From http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25310

USAGypsies Dec 3rd 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_Was (Post 5628742)
Sometimes those 900 numbers are blocked by the phone company and you have to request to have them unblocked.

Did you try calling the freephone number and pay with the credit card?

The number is 1-800 630 3332 but remember it's $2.49 per minute.

From http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25310

Hello - yes - thanks so much dave-was, I called that number.
This is what I was told for anyone else who may find this useful. I was told to submit a covering letter with my application explaining my travel plans and the urgency due to timing etc... as well as the usual completed application, 2 photographs, expired passport and payment $265.00.
I was told that currently they are on a 10 business day turn-around for straightforward re-newel's, (as it said on the website).

The blocked 900 number makes perfect sense as I recently changed to another phone company but prior to this I know I called the 1-900 number and it went through. I just didn't think aboutthat in my panic! :D

I REALLY want to book the flights to secure the current availability & fare as I don't know if the seats will sell out or the price will change as we get closer to the time of travel, but how can I book when I don't have my passport in hand?!?!?! A rough calculation means that if I wait for the passport first it will be only a week before we hope to travel.

What would others do... wait for the passports to arrive and then book or just book and hope that the passport showed up in time?

Serenity Dec 4th 2007 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5629008)

What would others do... wait for the passports to arrive and then book or just book and hope that the passport showed up in time?

Assuming such a good deal has terms where you would lose the money... how much can you afford to lose the money if the passport doesn't arrive in time? Personally, if I could afford it (and afford is subjective really!) I'd take the gamble!

USAGypsies Dec 5th 2007 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 5631780)
Assuming such a good deal has terms where you would lose the money... how much can you afford to lose the money if the passport doesn't arrive in time? Personally, if I could afford it (and afford is subjective really!) I'd take the gamble!

I see what you are saying about being able to afford but would anyone want to risk losing $3,500 though.

I shall post how it all ends up :)

Serenity Dec 5th 2007 3:15 am

Originally Posted by USAGypsies (Post 5634016)
I see what you are saying about being able to afford but would anyone want to risk losing $3,500 though.

Not me! But it's all relative :D