Urgent Green Card Renewal

Old Feb 8th 2020, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Urgent Green Card Renewal

I completely forgot about renewing my green card that expires end April and I have to travel to Europe in May and then again in July.

Has anyone had any luck expediting the renewal process. I am in NJ

Can I get a I551 stamp in my passport and use that instead of the green card?

Thank you
Old Feb 8th 2020, 3:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Green Card Renewal

I would say your best bet is to get the I-551 stamp.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2020, 3:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The worst case scenario, if you travel without your green card, as I did once, is that you get sent to secondary on arrival in the US. The nice immigration officer at JFK told me he needed to, but actually didn't send me to secondary "because I don't fit the profile".
Old Feb 8th 2020, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The worst case scenario, if you travel without your green card, as I did once, is that you get sent to secondary on arrival in the US. The nice immigration officer at JFK told me he needed to, but actually didn't send me to secondary "because I don't fit the profile".
What did you use to get on the plane?
Old Feb 8th 2020, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
What did you use to get on the plane?
Not sure - probably the visa in my passport. .... Actually, that's a good point, because the incident I described above was pre-ESTA.
Old Feb 8th 2020, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Fret not.
Expired 10yr cards are valid for boarding a carrier to the US (carrier guide page 28: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...%20ENGLISH.pdf )
Old Feb 10th 2020, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Thank you for your responses. I called USCIS today and they say travelling with an expired 10 year green card and a receipt of the I 90 renewal application is good for entry into the USA. I guess the question is do the airlines know this and will they still let me board the plane. Has anyone successfully traveled like this to the USA?

On another note USCIS told me the current wait time for the new green card is 11 months so if you have a green card that is expiring in the near future get your applications in ahead of time
Old Feb 10th 2020, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

I did my renewal last March, just got notified on Friday that my new card was produced and will be sent to me. So just 3 weeks shy of a year for it to be processed, I did get an extension added to my expired car and was able to travel out of the country and back using that during the past year.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Britexmom
I did my renewal last March, just got notified on Friday that my new card was produced and will be sent to me. So just 3 weeks shy of a year for it to be processed, I did get an extension added to my expired car and was able to travel out of the country and back using that during the past year.
May I ask how you got an extension on your green card
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
Thank you for your responses. I called USCIS today and they say travelling with an expired 10 year green card and a receipt of the I 90 renewal application is good for entry into the USA. I guess the question is do the airlines know this and will they still let me board the plane. Has anyone successfully traveled like this to the USA?
Yes - it should be listed on airlines internal systems when they do a document/visa check. And on the rare occasions someone is clueless/ can't read, that is what the RCLG is for.

FYI: An expired 10yr card is good for travel even without an I-90 renewal receipt (or even having been applied for), largely due to the card being proof of status, and not the status itself.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
May I ask how you got an extension on your green card
the extension sticker was put on at the barometric appointment, I got notified of the appt 2 weeks after I submitted the online application and the actual appt was for a week after that. The lady who processed my application said everyone was getting the 12 month extension due to the delays.
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Britexmom
the extension sticker was put on at the barometric appointment, ....
Were you under a lot of pressure?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 5:59 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Old Feb 12th 2020, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Oops 😜 but yes I was def under pressure 🤣