Update GC at 14

Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update GC at 14

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Yes, it was about 2 weeks before we got the notice and the appointment was about 2 weeks after that - the one we couldn't go to.

Little PF and I just returned from EU last weekend and her current GC was fine. So, not worried about waiting for the other one to arrive in about a year.
Did appointment letter come from DHS?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Did appointment letter come from DHS?
I don't have it in front of me but I think yes. You'll see something on the website along the lines of we have sent you a notice of action or something like that.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:51 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters arrived some point in June this year, we applied when she turned 14 in March 2016. She travelled, several times, on her existing Green Card with no issues.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the notification that sons biometrics appointment is 2pm on Sept 15th. He was most miffed that it is not in the morning and he can get to school late until I said I would need to pick him up from school early to get him to the new USCIS office in Charleston. I'm going to leave it as long as possible to tell him that he can't use his cell phone while we are waiting. Being a 14 year old boy he's probably not going to take that piece of news well.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the notification that sons biometrics appointment is 2pm on Sept 15th. He was most miffed that it is not in the morning and he can get to school late until I said I would need to pick him up from school early to get him to the new USCIS office in Charleston. I'm going to leave it as long as possible to tell him that he can't use his cell phone while we are waiting.
You may be able to do a drop in appointment and just turn up at another time.

Being a 14 year old boy he's probably not going to take that piece of news well.
Well he can either like it or lump it.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tom169

Well he can either like it or lump it.
He ended up reading the interview notice and saw the no cell phones line. He sighed and said, well I guess I can do some homework while we wait. (I don't see that happening myself)
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

my son saw the notice on the door and asked how long would he have to wait... (ie how long would he be without cell phone). I said I didn't know but usually not too long. He sat down, closed his eyes and went to sleep for the 20 minutes we waited.

How do they do that???
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I hand woman at desk my sons appointment letter and GC, and the have following conversation with her:

Her: (looking at his GC) His GC is valid.
Me: Yes.
Her: There's nothing wrong with it?
Me: No.
Her: Why are you here? Why have you completed an I-90?
Me: Because he's 14 and he needs a new GC.
Her: No he doesn't.
Me: Yes he does.
Her: No he doesn't.
Me: (Getting irritated now) Yes he does. (I can hear my Scottish accent coming out)
Her: No he doesn't. This is valid and not damaged.
Me: Then why does it say on the USCIS website that you need to get a new GC when you turn 14.
Her:
Me: (I just stare at her)
Her: One moment. (And she goes to speak to the immigration officer on duty. She then comes back a few minutes later to the desk and...) Please fill this form out and return it back to me.
Me: (restrain myself from banging my head on desk, smile, and say...) Ok.

Before we left I had conversation with the immigration officer about what we should do when my daughter turns 14, as her birthday is only a few months before we will apply for citizenship, and I don't see the point of spending close to $100 for a new GC she'll not need because she'll most likely be a US citizen when it arrives. Turns out we will still have to update her GC, pay for biometrics, have her get her photo and fingerprints taken again, and then return the GC when we get it. To say I think this is stupid and a waste of time and money would be an understatement.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Before we left I had conversation with the immigration officer about what we should do when my daughter turns 14, as her birthday is only a few months before we will apply for citizenship, and I don't see the point of spending close to $100 for a new GC she'll not need because she'll most likely be a US citizen when it arrives. Turns out we will still have to update her GC, pay for biometrics, have her get her photo and fingerprints taken again, and then return the GC when we get it. To say I think this is stupid and a waste of time and money would be an understatement.
Her status will remain the same regardless of whether she applies for an updated / photo green card but on the off chance that naturalization is reverting back to taking one year or longer to adjudicate, $100 is a small amount of money for peace of mind. Let's face it, we piss away $100 on trivial things. Plus you the biometrics take her prints and photo, you don't do it separately as you indicate.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just had the notification that my son's new GC has been produced and USCIS are completing their final review.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had her biometrics appointment this week, about a month after the application went in. And now we no doubt wait maaaaany months for the actual card.