Upcoming O1 & O3 visa interview

Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Boswortha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upcoming O1 & O3 visa interview

Hello,

Myself and my husband have our O1 and O3 joint visa interview coming up this week.

I have read a lot of advice already on these forums and as far as I am aware, I should bring along the following documents:
- Passports
- My I-797 form
- Our DS-160 confirmations
- Marriage certificate
- US visa-sized photographs

Do I need to bring along anything else?

My lawyer mentioned that they may ask us "How do we know you will return after the 3 years your visa is valid for?". She advised I should think of something I am leaving behind, such as a car or proof of a savings bank account.
I don't have a car or own a house here but can show a smallish amount of savings. Has anyone actually been asked this before? It seems like quite an odd question.

Will they ask me for a permanent address in the US? I don't know this yet as we plan to stay in an airbnb apartment for the first month.

I'll be sure to report back after the interview as I know this kind of feedback is super helpful to others in the same boat

D.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming O1 & O3 visa interview

Originally Posted by Boswortha
I don't think so, but perhaps someone else might notice something missing.

My lawyer mentioned that they may ask us "How do we know you will return after the 3 years your visa is valid for?".
I believe the requirement is to demonstrate your intent to leave the US... not to necessarily return to where you started. IMO, that changes the formula for what you might need.

It seems like quite an odd question.
I agree... it is.

Will they ask me for a permanent address in the US?
They might, but it's okay not to have one at this point in time. If that's the truth, tell them so.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2016, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Myself and my husband have our O1 and O3 joint visa interview coming up this week.

I have read a lot of advice already on these forums and as far as I am aware, I should bring along the following documents:
- Passports
- My I-797 form
- Our DS-160 confirmations
- Marriage certificate
- US visa-sized photographs

My lawyer mentioned that they may ask us "How do we know you will return after the 3 years your visa is valid for?". She advised I should think of something I am leaving behind, such as a car or proof of a savings bank account.
I don't have a car or own a house here but can show a smallish amount of savings. Has anyone actually been asked this before? It seems like quite an odd question.

Will they ask me for a permanent address in the US? I don't know this yet as we plan to stay in an airbnb apartment for the first month.

I'll be sure to report back after the interview as I know this kind of feedback is super helpful to others in the same boat

D.
There's no requirement to show something left behind. Seems a very strange and crazy thing to mention to you. You can renew the O-1 indefinitely and it does not preclude immigrant intent. Documents look good. When I last went, they didn't like my photos as my hair slightly covered my forehead so I had to have them redone there. Pain in the butt! Give them the address of the rental. No address is ever permanent! My OH gave his work address for his first visa application on a H-1B.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

My lawyer warned me about this, but it was phrased differently. It was more like "When do you plan to return to the UK." And I in my interview I was actually asked that question - my answer was, "I'll be going back when my visa runs out, or earlier if the job doesn't work out." That seemed to make them happy, there was no need to prove I was maintaining an address in the UK, or had something specific to go back to.

HTH
Chris
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone.

And is it acceptable to say we don't have a permanent address yet?
We are deciding between two airbnb apartments and obviously can't confirm one until I have my visa in hand!

I do have a friend that lives there and I could give this address however I'd feel better being honest..

Also, will they ask my husband, how are you planning on supporting yourself financially (I am the one with the O1 and he'll have an O3) - what is OK to respond with?
Obviously I'll be supporting both of us until he can find a job/sponsor for his own o1 but are we even allowed to admit he'll look for work?

Thanks again.

Dree.

Last edited by Boswortha; Apr 27th 2016 at 7:30 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

You are supporting your husband financially.

I would not get into a conversation about him looking for work. On an O3 he cannot work.

It's been said a million times before - just answer the question asked as simply and clearly as possible. Do not offer additional information. If they ask, "Do you know what time it is?" The correct answer is either "yes" or "no!"
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And is it acceptable to say we don't have a permanent address yet?
If it's the truth - then yes, absolutely.

Also, will they ask my husband, how are you planning on supporting yourself financially (I am the one with the O1 and he'll have an O3) - what is OK to respond with?
The only acceptable answer is the truth... he won't be supporting himself, you'll be supporting him.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Just to update incase this is helpful to anyone..
Had my visa interview this morning and my O1 and my husband's O3 have been approved!
We arrived 15 minutes early and queued outside the embassy for about 20 minutes. (We arrived at 8.15 for an 8.30 appointment and were out by 9.45am)
Once inside and seated we waited another 30 minutes to be called to counter where they just took our finger prints and checked we had all the documents.
We were then asked to go to another counter and the IO officer just asked:
Have you been to the US before?
What is your job title?
How long have you been at current job?
How long have you been married?
All very pleasant and quick and then she said your visas have been approved and your passports will be ready for collection in 3-5 working days!

As a side note, my husband was very amused by the fact that none other than Danny Willett, golfer and recent winner of the Masters tournament was in front of us in the queue throughout the morning! Made the idle waiting a little more fun
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Had my visa interview this morning and my O1 and my husband's O3 have been approved!
Excellent! Well done.

Ian
Old May 1st 2016, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Hello!

My visa was approved at the US embassy on Thursday however my case status on the USCIS website still says "Case was approved.. We will mail you your approval notice" etc which it has said since my petition was approved a few weeks ago. Should it have changed to "Administative processing" by now?

Will I get an email to let me know my passport is ready for collection?

Also, will they hand me back the I-797 form when I pick up the passports so I have this for the initial POE?

Sorry, I must have been too excited to ask these questions to the IO when I was approved!

Last edited by Boswortha; May 1st 2016 at 9:34 am.
Old May 1st 2016, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Mine sat for ages like that on the US side, if I check it probably still says that, 6 weeks later. The USCIS system is not in real time. They have nothing further to do with your application.

Either the consulate or the courier will email you when the passports are ready. The Approval notice comes back with the passports.