Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:10 am
Just Joined

i_york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

Finally, after much trial and tribulation, I have got to the stage where my company are sponsoring me for an L1-A under their blanket L visa. My embassy appointment is now booked for Friday (29/10).

My employer's basis for the L1-A application is that I am a functional manager, managing an important technical function.

What can I expect to be asked at the interview in London? I was told by an operator on the rip-off £1.30/minute phone number you're forced to dial, that the whole process should take approx. 3-4 hours... does this sound realistic?

Will I be told on the day if my application has been approved or denied, or will I have to wait until I get my passport back in the post?

My mother was previously married to an Arabic guy (years ago), so I've had to state her arabic surname as a previous surname on the forms... I hope that doesn't qualify my application for 'additional processing'!

On the DS-156, there is a field for 'National Identification Number'. Should I leave this blank, or should I insert my National Insurance Number?

Thanks for any advice guys!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:41 am
L D Jones

Default Re: Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

i_york wrote:

[...]
    > On the DS-156, there is a field for 'National Identification
    > Number'. Should I leave this blank, or should I insert my National
    > Insurance Number?

Leave it blank (some would caution never to leave any item blank and use
"N/A" or similar). On her immigrant visa application my wife left it
blank and had no problem. I did some research on the web and could never
find what "National Identification Number" is or was.

Old Oct 26th 2004, 11:04 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

Originally Posted by i_york
Finally, after much trial and tribulation, I have got to the stage where my company are sponsoring me for an L1-A under their blanket L visa. My embassy appointment is now booked for Friday (29/10).

My employer's basis for the L1-A application is that I am a functional manager, managing an important technical function.

What can I expect to be asked at the interview in London? I was told by an operator on the rip-off £1.30/minute phone number you're forced to dial, that the whole process should take approx. 3-4 hours... does this sound realistic?

Will I be told on the day if my application has been approved or denied, or will I have to wait until I get my passport back in the post?

My mother was previously married to an Arabic guy (years ago), so I've had to state her arabic surname as a previous surname on the forms... I hope that doesn't qualify my application for 'additional processing'!

On the DS-156, there is a field for 'National Identification Number'. Should I leave this blank, or should I insert my National Insurance Number?

Thanks for any advice guys!
It will take 3-4 hours because they give about 50 people the same appointment time! Also, unless you have the first interview slot of the day, there may be 200-300 people waiting in the room - you are given a number and have to wait for it to be called - it's really annoying when you see people who arrived an hour later than yourself getting their interview before you do! The actual interview will be 5 minutes (10 at most). If the Consular official is satisfied that you fulfill the requirements to be issued with an L1-A you will probably be told so at the interview. Your passport will be retained if the visa is approved and will be returned by post and you will normally get it back 5-7 days later depending on how many applications they have to process (you must provide a Special Delivery pre-paid self-addressed envelope; buy one at any Post Office before your interview).

Take a drink, something to read and a sandwich. However if your number is called and you're in the loo, you go to the back of the queue again!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 5:51 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming L1-A interview at US Embassy in London

Originally Posted by Englishmum
you must provide a Special Delivery pre-paid self-addressed envelope; buy one at any Post Office before your interview).
You now get the envelope from a Courier company who have a desk in the Embassy.. Its £10 I believe.. you should get it delivered to you in 1-2 days.