Wikiposts

Unwilling to face the truth...

Old May 14th 2004, 3:00 am
Just Joined

bujuburge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unwilling to face the truth...

I think I already know the answer to this one, but I'm unwilling to face the consequences.

I came on a K-1 visa, had my SSN within two weeks, and a good job within three weeks. Everything was going smoothly, and we had a wonderful wedding this Saturday just gone.

However (and I should have seen this coming) now it comes to the AOS, I will lose my work authorisation, for 90-150 days. And my K-1 expires in 5 days.

I'm going to have to quit my job .... aren't I?
Any help VERY much appreciated.
Old May 14th 2004, 3:02 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unwilling to face the truth...

buju,

This question is best asked of your employer. When you ask, you may want to re-phrase it in a positive way.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by bujuburge
I think I already know the answer to this one, but I'm unwilling to face the consequences.

I came on a K-1 visa, had my SSN within two weeks, and a good job within three weeks. Everything was going smoothly, and we had a wonderful wedding this Saturday just gone.

However (and I should have seen this coming) now it comes to the AOS, I will lose my work authorisation, for 90-150 days. And my K-1 expires in 5 days.

I'm going to have to quit my job .... aren't I?
Any help VERY much appreciated.
Old May 14th 2004, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
buju,

This question is best asked of your employer. When you ask, you may want to re-phrase it in a positive way.

Regards, JEff
My husband's first employer never asked. Maybe they just forgot, I don't know. He didn't bring it up until he had his one year card, but if the job had been something permanent, he probably would have cared enough to mention it to them. As it was, they were not concerned about the gap when he presented the one year card.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Polaris_x
Go get an extension on your work permit. Get the paperwork filed TODAY!

One cannot get an "extension" on a temporary work permit.
Old May 14th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

bujuburge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Polaris_x
My bad.
I took Jeffrey's advice and spoke very nicely to my employer, who agreed! This is modern-day America I guess... 'flexible' employment and so on.

The other poster was right, though - I wouldn't risk it for a more important job
Old May 16th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sureyya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bujuburge
However (and I should have seen this coming) now it comes to the AOS, I will lose my work authorisation, for 90-150 days.
Why will you lose your work authorization for 90-150 days due to AOS??
Old May 17th 2004, 3:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sureyya,

She is not losing her employment authorization due to AOS. She is losing her employment authorization due to loss of K1 status. Now she needs to apply for new employment authorization, which she will do when she applies for adjustment of status.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Sureyya
Why will you lose your work authorization for 90-150 days due to AOS??