unsure?!

Old Jul 21st 2002, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

hoosier wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unsure?!

Hey everyone..........

here is my story: Basically I found the love of my life who happens to live out in Indiana and im over in the UK. Ive met her twice and have been engaged for around 7 months. Im 21 and shes 20. We are due to be married around the 28th June 2003 in Illinois. Im also due to goto Indiana for a month thins yr just for a holiday (whihc i am so excited about)...... just to sort our wedding plans out and to eat as much mexican food as i possibly can.

I know im going to sound completly dorky when i say this but im so confused with paperwork, the set up, the things i need and generally the immagration needs. Ive looked on here for a week and im picking up useful information but id really like someone to break things down for me.

I know i need a k1 visa but i honselty dont have the first clue about anything. If there is someone out there who is kind enough to take me under their wing id really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading and i hope someone will hear my cries!

Kindest regards
Shaun
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: unsure?!

Hi, I can't help you much with the fiancee visa forms (I think it's an I-129) I'm married so mine was an I-130
However you can start by (if you have a printer) down loading
form G-325A (you will see that there are 4 almost identical pages)
and also form DS- 230 (part 1)
You can start familirizing yourself with these, as you will definately need to submit them.
No doubt someone will follow me on here and help you more with
the fiancee situation.

Good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

mrpilock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shaun and welcome aboard,
I am in the same boat as Roger but i would sugest the first thing you do which will help you is to get your police certificate and your immunisations sorted out this will save you time later and if you get any jabs you need at your local doctors (free) will save you some money too, To get your police certificate you have to ring your local police station and tell them you want to apply for a police certificate because you wish to emigrate and they will send you a form that you fill in and send off with the fee of £10.

Are you intending to go and live together in the states?
What is your age?

Kind regards

Keith

P.s Just keep posting questions you will get very good help on here.
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 10:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The fiancee visa is the way to go since your wedding plans are in the distant future. Posted below is the FAQ for that visa. Read it and familiarize yourself with the process and then ask away. Someone here will be happy to assist you with the many questions you are bound to have.

The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Rete
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hey everyone, first of all id like to thankyou all for your valuable comments and swift replies.

im still a little unsure, mainly worried at the prospect of being 'turned' down. Ive heard this is the easiest visa to obtain but obtaining a visa in general is a pain in the butt. I have NO convictions....... but i may be picked up on my medical condition..... which i assure you im getting better. What is the chance that 'if' everything runs smoothly i will be accepted early next yr.

Also, depending on when i wanna get married, when should i start the ball rolling? if im planning may/june nxt yr id like to be in America by march?! grrrrrrrrrrr i have no clue.

As you can see, im clueless, but i just printed of 34 pages on k1 visa's which should prove to be helpfull, thanks for that Rete!

Thanks again everybody...... your attitude towards ppl are one in a million, your advice is fantastic and im thankfull i stumbled across this forum!

Shaun
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Shaun,
possibly without going into too much detail, you may need to put
on here what your medical condition you have that you feel may cause you a problem.
I can't give you any advice, but someone else will surely ask, so that they may help you.
Again others will help, but timing is very important, for example
you must leave the UK within 6 months of the visa being granted and you must marry within 90 days of arriving in the US.
Keep posting, and watching for reply's, there are some extremely knowledgable and helpful people on here.

Good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ok ok, not to go into details (because there isnt really any) i have had an exploratory operation on each knee. I had my last one a month ago. I still cant do cartwheels but im walking just about fine, enough to walk into the embassy and obtain a visa anywayz. So i guess im wrong in sayin i have a condition but i wanna be honest so i can get as much advise as possible.

So if i get my visa tomorrow say, i need to leave England within 6 months and be married within 90 days of landing in America?! Also, how do they know if this happens? ive heard of ppl from the INS or equivalent visitng you at your address in America, is this true?

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 3:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mrpilock
To get your police certificate you have to ring your local police station and tell them you want to apply for a police certificate because you wish to emigrate and they will send you a form that you fill in and send off with the fee of £10.

[/B]
Ask the police for a "data protection form" - that is what they call it because you are actually asking for their computer records that they have to disclose to you under the Data Protection Act. Also the fee will be £11.75 as they add VAT to the cost.

If a K1 visa is a fiancé (?) visa then you do know that you have to get married within 6 months of arriving, don't you?

Your fiancée will also need an income of at least the poverty level for two adults to "sponsor" your visa application.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

cbernard is an unknown quantity at this point

just another vote here that you should go with the fiancee visa if you want to get here more quickly. My wife and I are in a tangled mess with no answers because we're going for the K1 / K3 (we married last October and are still apart)

Don't worry about the knees, I'm an American and I've had 6 knee operations myself

-Court
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 4:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with your knees is not an issue with the US Consulate and the K-1. Nor will it be an issue with future adjustment of status after marriage. Any medical problem that is an issue would be an issue regardless of how or when you opted to marry your USC and adjust status to become a resident of the US. The diseases in question are ones such as STD's and life threatening diseases that would render you unable to work and therefore you might become a burden to the US taxpayers.

Rete
Old Jul 22nd 2002, 6:20 pm
Mjones

Shaun, Man, if you think you think that stuff they sell in Indiana is mexican food,
you gotta lot more to learn about than just K1 stuff. But like Rita said, some (not
all) info is here: The K1 FAQ http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm Mike San
Antonio, Texas

"hoosier wannabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey everyone..........
    >
    > here is my story: Basically I found the love of my life who happens to live out in
    > Indiana and im over in the UK. Ive met her twice and have been engaged for around 7
    > months. Im 21 and shes 20. We are due to be married around the 28th June 2003 in
    > Illinois. Im also due to goto Indiana for a month thins yr just for a holiday
    > (whihc i am so excited about)...... just to sort our wedding plans out and to eat
    > as much mexican food as i possibly can.
    >
    > I know im going to sound completly dorky when i say this but im so confused with
    > paperwork, the set up, the things i need and generally the immagration needs. Ive
    > looked on here for a week and im picking up useful information but id really like
    > someone to break things down for me.
    >
    > I know i need a k1 visa but i honselty dont have the first clue about anything. If
    > there is someone out there who is kind enough to take me under their wing id really
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks for reading and i hope someone will hear my cries!
    >
    > Kindest regards Shaun
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > hoosier gonabe
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 25th 2002, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, thanks again for everything pppl! I tried getting one of those 'data protection forms' but they fobbed me off so im going in personally to pick one up.......... just one question though...... i cant find anywhere on how to obtain the K-1 Visa forms...... I know my fiance needs to get them but well neither of us has a clue. can she write and ask for them..... her nearest INS office is Indianapolis.

thanks for the medical advice too. I got a little worried about it. Do i need to have a few jabs before leaving England?! like mmr and hepatitus ?!

Thanks again........... i feel safer in the knowledge that im not the first and wont be the last to go through this and to eventually live in the promiseland...... with mexican food!

Shaun
Old Jul 25th 2002, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

ladymcbride is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shaun,

I too am going through the process and haven't sent any forms in as of yet. Here is the site where you can download the petetion your fiancee needs to fill out, this is the first step and i do have a number to call but not at my fingertips. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web.../visaforms.htm
I believe you can print out the forms you need and use them.

I am from Maine, USA and my fiance is from England. I have gathered up the information to send in the 1-129 plus the money and will send it in this week. I hope to talk to my fiance later tonight and will ask him to reply also since he is going through the same thing you are. I do know that he has already gotten the paperwork in advance by calling london so maybe he can advise you better on that end.

Good Luck....

Robin
Old Jul 25th 2002, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

the fox is an unknown quantity at this point

hi shaun

well i think i can help you i am half way through the fiance visa and am up on the procedure and whats needed, if you have an email address then email it to me at [email protected] and i will go through it with you step by step i have a check list i did for myself and my fiancee giving evrything you need.

hope to hear from you soon, and dont worry its not that bad once you break itdown. i am hoping to be with my finacee by the end of the year and move to americas to be with her.

all the best stu.
Old Jul 26th 2002, 2:31 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
If a K1 visa is a fiancé (?) visa then you do know that you have to get married within 6 months of arriving, don't you?

This is NOT correct. Once you get the K1 visa, you have 6 months to enter the United States using that visa. Once you ARRIVE the United States, you have 90 DAYS to get married.

Originally posted by Pulaski
Your fiancée will also need an income of at least the poverty level for two adults to "sponsor" your visa application.

This is kinda-sorta right. The USC needs to have an income which is at least 125% (not 100%) of the US government's poverty level guidelines, which vary according to the size of the family unit. Assuming your "family unit" will consist of only you and your fiancée, that means -- as your sponsor -- she has to earn at least $14,925 per year.

She may also use assets (bonds, stocks, etc.) to meet the $14,925 minimum. However, the rules regarding using assets are slightly different than only using income to meet the 125%; other people know more than I do about that.

If she doesn't earn/have that much, then a co-sponsor is needed. The co-sponsor has to be a USC and also earn/have a certain minimum. The co-sponsor DOES NOT have to be related to the USC.

(The good news is, the US goverment only cares how much money your fiancée HAS, not how much she OWES -- so even if she owes $10,000 in student loans or credit card debt, as long as she can somehow meet the 125% minimum, you're ok. Weird, isn't it?)

Anyway, just wanted to clear up those misconceptions; hopefully I haven't just added to your confusion!! lol

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.