Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Wikiposts

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
As many as there are contributing household members. There is no specified limit.

Regards, JEff
Thanks, I never thought about that question before.

Colin, I haven't read the I-864 instructions for quite a while, and I know "household member" definition changed recently, so I'm sorry, I can't help you on that one right now.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:51 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

colin,

Originally Posted by colin2496
Yes we will be living with them when we arrive and whilst we find jobs etc. Father in-law shouldn't need the mother in-law income.
In which case, unless the consular officer you deal with has a preference that they instruct you to follow, your wife has a choice of either using her father as a joint sponsor or as a contributing household member.

So are we included on the house count or not? I have studied the form and have come up with no and it just them right?
You appear to have missed item 21.A in your studies. It might help if you would stop thinking "we" and think 'me (immigrant)' and 'her'.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

Ok as I thought 2, as they have no dependants under 21 and no one else lives there.

Thanks all
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

NO!

Ok as I thought 2, as they have no dependants under 21 and no one else lives there.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
Father in law = 1
Mother in law = 1

But you have to count yourself (the intending immigrant) as well = 1 more

So at least 3, if your wife does not need to be counted (I'm not assuming anything, since I didn't read the instructions). But I DO know that YOU need to be counted.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

OK well thank you for the answer, sorry to appear thick there is a lot going on right now as you appreiciate.
Just found it under how to use this form, I was looking under How Do I Count Household Size? Silly me.

Thanks all
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyuk
I was answering his question as to they only ask you for a letter explaining why you didnt file tax returns. My wife worked in KFC i dont see why i need to inform the IRS of this as they can not get ahold of that information from our government. It would mean extra months waiting on the visa which is why we chose not to. But as his wife has not worked he will be telling the truth, and just needs to put it in writing for the consulate. Also as main sponsor i was referring to his wife which is the only person who can sponsor him, everyone else is just a co sponsor, she is still the head honcho of the i864, no need to split hairs.

Where did you get your information from? Certainly not from the IRS and not from anyone here. Why would truthfully putting down earned income from the UK delay your visa by a couple of months. All she had to show is that the tax forms were filed. Not wait to see if they were approved or denied.

Personally, I think your reasons is crappy and were solely for your convenience.

There is no main sponsor or co-sponsor.

There is only a sponsor and a joint sponsor.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 1st 2010 at 10:10 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:15 am

Tuk,

Your wife is the USC?

You do not need to inform the IRS of anything. She does. Why? Because it's the law.

Remember, they didn't get the notorious gangster Al Capone for all of his illegal businesses and all the people he had killed. They put him in jail for income tax evasion.

Regards, JEff

My wife worked in KFC i dont see why i need to inform the IRS of this as they can not get ahold of that information from our government.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Where did you get your information from? Certainly not from the IRS and not from anyone here. Why would truthfully putting down earned income from the UK delay your visa by a couple of months. All she had to show is that the tax forms were filed. Not wait to see if they were approved or denied.

Personally, I think your reasons is crappy and were solely for your convenience.

There is no main sponsor or co-sponsor.

There is only a sponsor and a joint sponsor.

What happens with HMRC stays with HMRC. We dont request stuff like that when US Citizens apply to come over here so why should we share the same. My wife wanted both her grandmothers to see our kids but it took a year for them to sort out the visa, by which time they had passed away. Yet when my wife applied for her marriage visa for UK it arrived 2 weeks after we mailed the paperwork to the british embassy at houston. So as theyre so obviously busy why add more paperwork for them to go through. HMRC is run by our government so i dont see why were inclined to share any of that information with anyone. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:56 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
And if you are going to advocate breaking the law, don't post here. Our argument should really be with the US citizen; she's the one who needed to follow the US laws. Unfortunately, you've exposed *yourself* to a laundry list of possible troubles.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 6:58 am

What happens with HMRC stays with HMRC. We dont request stuff like that when US Citizens apply to come over here so why should we share the same. My wife wanted both her grandmothers to see our kids but it took a year for them to sort out the visa, by which time they had passed away. Yet when my wife applied for her marriage visa for UK it arrived 2 weeks after we mailed the paperwork to the british embassy at houston. So as theyre so obviously busy why add more paperwork for them to go through. HMRC is run by our government so i dont see why were inclined to share any of that information with anyone. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
You can't compare US immigration requirements with UK immigration requirements. Two totally separate governments, requirements, and processes.

Your wife might have been working under HMRC (I probably said that wrong), but she was still a USC and still needed to abide by her own government's laws. It might be different for other countries, but the USA requires all USC's to report worldwide income.

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey it is your wife who failed to complete her duties as a US Citizen and it is you who were aiding her. I don't care one way or the other.

And it is not the fault of the USCIS that her grandmothers did not see their grandchildren. Nothing stopped her from buying a plane ticket and bringing them to the US for a visit. I'm sorry for them for as a grandmother myself there is nothing more loving and important in your life than to hold your grandchild.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:46 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And it is not the fault of the USCIS that her grandmothers did not see their grandchildren.
Great grand-children.... I think....

Anyway, Tony, it's bad form to break the law, worse form to encourage someone else to do it.