Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Wikiposts

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:02 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

c,

No.

Yes.

No.

Regards, JEff

After thought, from reading Tonyuk's post - are you and your wife going to be living with her parents? That would affect my answers. I was assuming that you and your wife would be living apart from her parents, if not immediately then in short order.

Again, you can figure it out easily for yourself by simply looking over I-864 and reading its instructions.

Originally Posted by colin2496
Ok it is as I thought then just the inlaws in the house hold count then?

Does my wife have to enter an I-864 as she clearly doesn't meet the requirement?

If My wife doesn't need to file returns for the 2 missing years lets change tack and say, would it be beneficial to our cause even if it is not a requirement?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Apr 1st 2010 at 8:13 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

Ok thanks tony,
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

Ok now i'm confused?!
My inlaws are the co-sponsor and my wife is the main sponsor. Who files which forms someone please explain? Do they not both use the I-864

My wife is here in the UK and not living with the inlaws in the USA, have i talk myself stupid again this does sometimes happen (lol).
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyuk
We just wrote a letter saying my wife was not working for last 3 years and didnt need to file tax returns, this was enough for the embassy although my wife had been working here in england.
Tony, are you saying you wrote a letter saying that your wife had not been working, even though she had been?

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:15 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my!

The only thing worse than messing with Mother Nature is messing with both the IRS and immigration.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Tony, are you saying you wrote a letter saying that your wife had not been working, even though she had been?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok now i'm confused?!
My inlaws are the co-sponsor and my wife is the main sponsor. Who files which forms someone please explain? Do they not both use the I-864
Your wife needs to fill out an I-864, even though she does not qualify financially, yes.

If one of your in-laws, let's say father in law, makes enough on his own to be your joint sponsor, then he fills out an I-864 and that's it.

If mother in law has income, and father in law needs mother in law's income to qualify (he doesn't earn enough on his own), then father in law fills out an I-864 and includes mother in law's income on it. Mother in law also fills out an I-864a as a contributing household member.

My wife is here in the UK and not living with the inlaws in the USA, have i talk myself stupid again this does sometimes happen (lol).
I think JEff was asking if you guys *will be* living with your in laws after you arrive in the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:19 am

your wife is the main sponsor even though she has no income....
There's actually no such thing as "main" sponsor. There is only "sponsor" and "joint sponsor" and "contributing household member". So Colin's wife is the sponsor.

...so she fills out the i864,
This is correct.

... the inlaws will each fill out and i864a.
This is incorrect. The joint sponsor will fill out a separate I-864. If there will someone else in the household contributing income to the joint sponsor, that person will fill out an I-864a.

... if anyone else lives at the address they can fil out the i864a but i wouldnt bother if the inlaws cover the pov guidelines, good luck
I am not sure how many I-864a's there can be.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We just wrote a letter saying my wife was not working for last 3 years and didnt need to file tax returns, this was enough for the embassy although my wife had been working here in england.

Then why did your wife lie? Her worldwide income must be reported to the IRS and that means her earnings in the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Yes we will be living with them when we arrive and whilst we find jobs etc. Father in-law shouldn't need the mother in-law income.

So are we included on the house count or not? I have studied the form and have come up with no and it just them right?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

I was answering his question as to they only ask you for a letter explaining why you didnt file tax returns. My wife worked in KFC i dont see why i need to inform the IRS of this as they can not get ahold of that information from our government. It would mean extra months waiting on the visa which is why we chose not to. But as his wife has not worked he will be telling the truth, and just needs to put it in writing for the consulate. Also as main sponsor i was referring to his wife which is the only person who can sponsor him, everyone else is just a co sponsor, she is still the head honcho of the i864, no need to split hairs.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:37 am

Wow.

I was answering his question as to they only ask you for a letter explaining why you didnt file tax returns.
It's good that you answered his question, but you should have added that the letter needs to be truthful. Yours was not.

My wife worked in KFC i dont see why i need to inform the IRS of this...
Uhhhh because it's the law? USC's are required to report worldwide income, period, even if that income is earned at KFC.

It would mean extra months waiting on the visa which is why we chose not to.
Oh, OK....so lying was OK to make the visa process faster then. Fine for you, don't suggest it to others, though, please.

Also as main sponsor i was referring to his wife which is the only person who can sponsor him, everyone else is just a co sponsor, she is still the head honcho of the i864, no need to split hairs.
Sometimes using the correct terminology is important, and we try to correct incorrect terminology here. For example, there is no "co sponsor" on an I-864. The correct term is "joint sponsor". Not belittling you, just correcting incorrect terminology.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 1st 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Well sorry to cause problems guys!!
Could someone give a definate answer on the number of people in the household as I am going to call the inlaws in a bit and they have asked for the figure I need.

Please guys.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:41 am

c,

Will you please look at the I-864 and read its instructionS?

I know you're a guy, and we guys don't like to read instructions, but sometimes it does save an awful lot of trouble.

Regards, JEff

Ok now i'm confused?!
My inlaws are the co-sponsor and my wife is the main sponsor. Who files which forms someone please explain? Do they not both use the I-864.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:42 am

Yes, thanks Rene. That's exactly what I asked. I looked back at my post and I did use future tense.

Regards, JEff

I think JEff was asking if you guys *will be* living with your in laws after you arrive in the USA.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:45 am

As many as there are contributing household members. There is no specified limit.

Regards, JEff

I am not sure how many I-864a's there can be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.