Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Wikiposts

Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice
Default Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Hi,

I am unemployed as is my (USC) wife and we are worried that this will effect our visa outcome. We do however have her parents co-sponsoring me and they meet the 864P criteria.

Also she has not filed a tax return for the last 2 yrs as she was living off of me and her income was £0.00. She was advised to do this by a friend in the US and now I think we need them for the interview in London

WHAT TO DO???
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployed and the effect on IR-1 in london

Originally Posted by colin2496
Hi,

I am unemployed as is my (USC) wife and we are worried that this will effect our visa outcome. We do however have her parents co-sponsoring me and they meet the 864P criteria.

Also she has not filed a tax return for the last 2 yrs as she was living off of me and her income was £0.00. She was advised to do this by a friend in the US and now I think we need them for the interview in London

WHAT TO DO???
Back file them at the IRS unit at American Citizen Services at the Embassy.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

Hi,

WHAT TO DO???
thats exactly my situation last year in london. wife was overstaying her visa here and i was unemployed but my parent in laws met the criteria of the 864 so it was all fine and no questions asked.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

colin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nicecolin2496 is just really nice

Ok thanks guys sounds like I have an answer. Can the IRS stuff be done online at london?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks guys sounds like I have an answer. Can the IRS stuff be done online at london?
Not sure if it can be done online, but the US Embassy in London has an IRS Dept which is very helpful. You can ask them how it's done from there.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene.

Also with regard to 864P the number of people in the household does that include us when we live there or just those living there presently?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Just to be sure my wife still has to file a tax return even though her earnings were £0.00??
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be sure my wife still has to file a tax return even though her earnings were £0.00??
Yes.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Snowbunny is that yes to the tax question or the I-864p question or both?

Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:44 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, she does not.

But she does have to explain to the immigration folks why she was not required by the IRS to file a tax return. From what you've posted she seems to have a valid explanation.

Regards, JEff

Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:47 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the I-864, the answer should quickly become clear. It goes step by step to determine household size.

Regards, JEff

Also with regard to 864P the number of people in the household does that include us when we live there or just those living there presently?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

We just wrote a letter saying my wife was not working for last 3 years and didnt need to file tax returns, this was enough for the embassy although my wife had been working here in england.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Jeff,

Ok it is as I thought then just the inlaws in the house hold count then?

Does my wife have to enter an I-864 as she clearly doesn't meet the requirement?

If My wife doesn't need to file returns for the 2 missing years lets change tack and say, would it be beneficial to our cause even if it is not a requirement?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks tonyuk
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

your wife is the main sponsor even though she has no income so she fills out the i864, the inlaws will each fill out and i864a. if anyone else lives at the address they can fil out the i864a but i wouldnt bother if the inlaws cover the pov guidelines, good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.