Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Under 18 Permanent Resident Stuck in the UK - Pandemic

Under 18 Permanent Resident Stuck in the UK - Pandemic

Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:25 am
Just Joined

roadtocali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Under 18 Permanent Resident Stuck in the UK - Pandemic

My 2 year old became a permanent resident last year but we have not relocated him due to the pandemic and travel concerns. He is approaching 1 year outside of the states. What are our options as I'm not ready to fly with my little one until summer next year?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 11:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Under 18 Permanent Resident Stuck in the UK - Pandemic

I'm not quite understanding your situation. In your other thread, you wrote about applying for your own10-year GC renewal too early, so I assumed you were inside the USA.

Now it sounds like you and your son are NOT in the USA. How did your son become a US PR last year? Are you yourself in the USA right now, or are you outside the USA with your son?

How is it that you've been in the USA for 10 years as a PR, but your son just became a PR last year, at age 1? Did you give birth outside the USA and then bring him to the USA at age 1, then leave the USA again right away?

How is it that your son is approaching 1 year outside the USA, but you are not?

Please elaborate.

Thanks,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 25th 2020 at 11:31 am.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Noorah101, Thanks for your response,

We're currently outside the US - I applied for my GC renewal online. My son was born outside the US. Last year he entered with me and was granted PR on arrival - we left the US months later.

How is it that your son is approaching 1 year outside the USA, but you are not? I have travelled without my son while my parents cared for him.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Tough one. Flights are operating and there are no restrictions on LPRs traveling to the US. Is it just a fear of flying at this time or is the child extremely clinically vulnerable and medics have told you not to take him on a plane?
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roadtocali
Hi Noorah101, Thanks for your response,

We're currently outside the US - I applied for my GC renewal online. My son was born outside the US. Last year he entered with me and was granted PR on arrival - we left the US months later.
So you yourself have also been outside the USA for nearly a year? What are you doing to maintain ties to the USA? Property, work, filing US tax return, etc? I assume you have a US address that they will send your 10- year GC to? And that you'll go to the USA if you get a biometrics appointment... which would also go to your US address.

I would be more concerned about your own status rather than your sons.

Rene
Old Nov 25th 2020, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Rene with her concerns. It sounds like you might have abandoned your residency having been outside the US for so long and so often. Just popping in for a fly through doesn't constitute a show of residency.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I have a property in the US, family ties and I file US taxes. Hopefully I get a biometrics appointment
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by roadtocali
Yes, I have a property in the US, family ties and I file US taxes. Hopefully I get a biometrics appointment
Hopefully you get a biometrics appointment before the 1 year mark outside the USA, then you and your son can at least return for that before 1 year is up.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2020, 1:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So no reentry permit?
Old Nov 26th 2020, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
So no reentry permit?
No, but I accept that I should have applied for a re-entry permit.