Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK visitor ESTA. Leave country for period after 90 days?

UK visitor ESTA. Leave country for period after 90 days?

Old Sep 6th 2018, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Craigmcb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK visitor ESTA. Leave country for period after 90 days?

Hi there.

I was wondering if as a UK citizen who has a valid ESTA, if I stay in USA for my allocated 90 days, am I able to leave the country for a few days, then return again with the same valid ESTA. Or do I need to be out of the country for a certain period of time before returning?

Cannot seem to find this answer on google

Many Thanks,
Craig
Old Sep 6th 2018, 5:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK visitor ESTA. Leave country for period after 90 days?

General rule is to stay out of the country as long as you were in - so if you spent 85 days (never a good idea to go right up to 90 days in case of flight delays etc!) in the US, then spend at leat 85 out of the country before trying to return.

HTH.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 5:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA approval is valid for 2 years, so you won't need a new ESTA until your current one expires.

However, back to back trips like that are not usually successful because it looks like you are trying to live in the USA as a visitor, which is not allowed. Also kind of difficult to fund such long trips, and difficult to be away from work for such a long time.

General rule of thumb is to be outside the USA longer than you were inside.

Also never stay the full 90 days, just in case something happens on that last day and you can't make the flight. Best to stay 88 days or so.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2018, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Oh really? I have never heard that at all, okay perfect, thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it :-)
Old Sep 6th 2018, 6:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General rule: overstay the 90 day admission, even by one day, the ESTA is no longer valid.

General rule #2: departure into an adjoining country [e.g. Canada or Mexico] are an "adjacent island" for a short trip is essentially treated as not having left at all. It does NOT "reset the clock" so to speak.

General rule #3: refusal of admission on an ESTA does not, per se, count as a removal.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:03 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

The VWP is for tourism and occasional visits here, not for living here in 90-day installments with brief trips to the U.K. in between. You absolutely cannot work as a visitor. Not many people are able to take multiple 90-day holidays back-to-back and the US government deems 90 days to be enough for a visitor.

Seems you are desperate to stay here, based on your previous posts?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
The VWP is for tourism and occasional visits here, not for living here in 90-day installments with brief trips to the U.K. in between. You absolutely cannot work as a visitor. Not many people are able to take multiple 90-day holidays back-to-back and the US government deems 90 days to be enough for a visitor.

Seems you are desperate to stay here, based on your previous posts?
Okay no problem I understand. And yeah just kinda want to travel and experience as much as I can while I am still young. And I have seen all of UK and a lot of Europe. And USA is amazing so I would love to travel more of it
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:21 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Yea sure.

Is that the same kind of speech you gave when going to Australia before you commited fraud and worked illegally?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yea sure.

Is that the same kind of speech you gave when going to Australia before you commited fraud and worked illegally?
I only worked in Australia on my first year, which I had a working holiday visa granted for, so get your facts right <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Rule 1, name calling removed
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:53 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigmcb

I only worked in Australia on my first year, which I had a working holiday visa granted for, so get your facts right <snip>
You are the one who gave false information in order to work. Then you post a stupid question asking can you do back to back ESTA visits, when a 5 second Google would have given you your answer.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Rule 1, name calling removed
Old Sep 7th 2018, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

You are the one who gave false information in order to work. Then you post a stupid question asking can you do back to back ESTA visits, when a 5 second Google would have given you your answer.

Looks like you are the idiot.
i googled it and I couldn’t see the answer. And isn’t that what these forums are for? Don’t be jealous of me coz I’m young and travelling the world having the time of my life...and you are a <snip> who is trying to call people out over a forum haha

Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

i googled it and I couldn’t see the answer. And isn’t that what these forums are for? Don’t be jealous of me coz I’m young and travelling the world having the time of my life...and you are a <snip> who is trying to call people out over a forum haha
...and you're going the right way to get a ban from BE as well as from Australia....

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Editing quoted post
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:03 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting you call him a <snip>, yet you use a high school level insult and show clear insecurities. I suggest you both don't get in to this even further. Sure the mods will have something to say.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Editing quoted post
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Interesting you call him a <snip>, yet you use a high school level insult and show clear insecurities. I suggest you both don't get in to this even further. Sure the mods will have something to say.
Yeah very interesting isn’t it� ���� I also have nothing to be insecure about trust me lol. I came on here to get an answer and have you <snip> commenting on my stuff...after some very helpful people have already assisted me and helped me solve my problem by giving me the answer ☺️

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 7th 2018 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Site Rule 1. Again.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 2:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I only worked in Australia on my first year, which I had a working holiday visa granted for, so get your facts right idiot
Maybe, but you're the one who said "I was running out of time, and I had been offered a job working on the rails and just chanced my luck by providing false information(which I obviously now regret). So I used my friends ABN number, and I got caught going back in." source. Providing false information to immigration sounds a lot like fraud to me. (And Australian immigration apparently seeing how you were given the heave ho from Australia.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.