Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Vaccine requirement for 27 yr old British Citizen

UK Vaccine requirement for 27 yr old British Citizen

Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: UK Vaccine requirement for 27 yr old British Citizen

Originally Posted by Smaug
Hello,

As an I-129F applicant, I'm trying to arrange my jabs from my local surgery, hopefully free of charge. However my surgery are being somewhat difficult about it, and don't seem to understand the concept of 'immigrant' instead of 'holiday'.

I've furnished the receptionist with a printout of a medical report from a company called MASTA (as the same receptionist referred me to them to gain proof of what I needed for my 'holiday' jabs). I've also shown them the printout from the website of US Embassy (London) which details what ages require what vaccines.

She's booked me in for the nurse on 31st Dec 2004 and asked me to bring my documents there.

Can anyone confirm, from experience, what vaccines are required for an intending immigrant born in 1977? From what I can see, I need Tetanus, Adult(?) Diptheria and MMR. I've already had a recent flu jab.

The receptionist said that she's not sure if I can receive the MMR, and mentioned something about not being licensed for it.

My Interview at the Embassy is Jan 13th 2005, so I want to be certain I can get the jabs from my own surgery prior to refusing them during my medical exam on the 13th Jan.

Thanks!
Smaug
HI there
I am a few years older than you but not that much so we come under the same requirements for the 'jabs' these are the ones I got:

Td
chickenpox
tb skin test (if positive result x-rays are needed)
mmr
and I was advised to get the Hep B shots too...not needed but they said it is a good idea to get them...

I had all mine at the same time too...and the shots here don't hurt any where as much as I remember them doing back in england...dunno if the english nurses are a little more violent or something...LOL...not wanting to offend any english persons in the medical field...

Good luck with it...and if you do run into probs in ol' blighty, go to a local clinic here, they are pretty cheap anywhere from $10 a piece and they will do them on a walk in basis in most cases...but take id with you, and get them to either give you a shot record or if u have one add them to the one u already have.

J
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
HI there
I am a few years older than you but not that much so we come under the same requirements for the 'jabs' these are the ones I got:

Td
chickenpox
tb skin test (if positive result x-rays are needed)
mmr
and I was advised to get the Hep B shots too...not needed but they said it is a good idea to get them...

I had all mine at the same time too...and the shots here don't hurt any where as much as I remember them doing back in england...dunno if the english nurses are a little more violent or something...LOL...not wanting to offend any english persons in the medical field...

Good luck with it...and if you do run into probs in ol' blighty, go to a local clinic here, they are pretty cheap anywhere from $10 a piece and they will do them on a walk in basis in most cases...but take id with you, and get them to either give you a shot record or if u have one add them to the one u already have.

J
Fortunately I've had a TB shot when I was 13-ish, but I'm not sure if that was recorded. They do it at school here, and it hurts like a b****! Since then, I've considered all other shots to be mild.
My cousin is an English nurse, so I think I'll avoid comments regarding their violent tendencies, hehe
I was anticipating the worst, I think, with US clinics. Knowing how the US healthcare systems work, I was anticipating paying a 3 figure sum for a jab, but $10 is nothing
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:49 am
Jason

if I remember correctly I think the MMR jab was fifty bucks? It was a
hassle getting it done in England and with the move out here I just
plain ran out of time! I literally walked in off the street when I got
here and they gave it to me straight away.

The only trouble you might have is obtaining the vaccination supplement
for the AOS application. As you'll have already had an official INS
medical you don't need another one so you don't send in a medical
report with your application. Reading recent posts - a lot of doctors
don't seem to like signing just the vaccination form without doing any
sort of medical and I experienced this as well. They think that every
immigrant who walks through the door needs a big medical and trying to
explain that that's *NOT* the case was a little tiresome - especially
as my local INS doctor didn't speak very good english! But there is a
fee for the vaccination supplement so just start waving that under
their noses (possibly a bit more if they're super difficult) and you
should walk out with a signed and sealed piece of paper ;-))