UK to USA words...

Old May 12th 2002, 5:20 am
Tim

Default UK to USA words...

Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
arriving with her 14 year old son on June 27.

I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang words Brits
use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a few that I can come
up with....

Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
Telephone Brill = Excelent Knakered = Very tired Rubber = Pencil Eraser Fag =
Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
Jelly = Jello Dip = Turn off your high beams Dynamo = Electric Generator Fish
Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French Fries
Nappy = Diaper

Any more?????

Old May 12th 2002, 5:20 am
Brian Denuyl

Default Re: UK to USA words...

Lift=Elevator Boring=This Thread

On Sun, 12 May 2002 04:08:13 GMT, "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
    >arriving with her 14 year old son on June 27.
    >
    >I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang words Brits
    >use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a few that I can
    >come up with....
    >
    >Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
    >Telephone Brill = Excelent Knakered = Very tired Rubber = Pencil Eraser Fag =
    >Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
    >Jelly = Jello Dip = Turn off your high beams Dynamo = Electric Generator Fish
    >Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French Fries
    >Nappy = Diaper
    >
    >Any more?????

Old May 12th 2002, 6:20 am
Gene E. McClune

crisps = potato chips

In article <[email protected]>, Tim
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
    > arriving with her 14 year old son on June 27.
    >
    > I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang words Brits
    > use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a few that I can
    > come up with....
    >
    > Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
    > Telephone Brill = Excelent Knakered = Very tired Rubber = Pencil Eraser Fag =
    > Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
    > Jelly = Jello Dip = Turn off your high beams Dynamo = Electric Generator Fish
    > Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French
    > Fries Nappy = Diaper
    >
    > Any more?????

Old May 12th 2002, 6:20 am
Null

fanny

"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
    >
    > I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang
words
    > Brits use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a
few
    > that I can come up with....
    >
    > Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
    > Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
    > Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French
    > Fries Nappy = Diaper
    >
    > Any more?????
    >

Old May 12th 2002, 10:20 am
Rick

"null" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<oknD8.33225$WR1.25375@sccrnsc01>...
    > fanny
    >
    > "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
    > > arriving with her 14 year old son on June 27.
    > >
    > > I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang
    > words
    > > Brits use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a
    > few
    > > that I can come up with....
    > >
    > > Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
    > > Telephone Brill = Excelent Knakered = Very tired Rubber = Pencil Eraser Fag =
    > > Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
    > > Jelly = Jello Dip = Turn off your high beams Dynamo = Electric Generator Fish
    > > Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French
    > > Fries Nappy = Diaper
    > >
    > > Any more?????
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
How about:

Plaster = bandaid Bob's your uncle = that's it done Pram = stroller Road = pavement
Pavement = sidewalk Ground floor = first floor Clothes peg = clothes pin Char = tea
Dosh = money Roundabout = traffic island

Rick

Old May 12th 2002, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I just keep up the Britspeak, and insist that my children do likewise making them bilingual.
Old May 12th 2002, 12:20 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Are we allowed to start using Scottish words too. This may seem a stupid post...but
when you think about it, for all us Brits going to the States.....sometimes it will
be like learning a new language...I know when I first went to the US I didn't have a
clue what Ya'll were saying. God knows what they thought I was saying in the
Glaswegian accent. So maybe a language course is a wise post to read....especially if
you are emigrating out into the sticks somewhere. American English versus Queens
English...a bit of light relief for those in a stressful process. Life is for fun
too.....visa process or not.

Bairn.....child Wean...child Sprog...child Bumper...fender Trousers...pants
Pants...undies Stockings...pantyhose Dear...expensive Wee...small Garden...yard
MPV...SUV Dobber...idiot Nutter...fruitcake Pavement...sidewalk Promenade...boardwalk
Puggy...slots Ginger...pop Juice...pop Irn Bru...........hell no equivalent lol
Sweeties...candy

Tim <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang
words
    > Brits use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a
few
    > that I can come up with....
    >
    > Fries Nappy = Diaper
    >
    > Any more?????
    >

Old May 12th 2002, 12:20 pm
Grahame And Lau

LOL. I met this girl from Kentucky once, while I was travelling around Europe. She
said that while she was travelling around Australia she made the mistake of telling
some local guys there that she exercises her fanny every day.....she said the men
were so friendly....

On Sun, 12 May 2002 05:45:56 GMT, "null" <[email protected]> wrote:

>fanny
    >
    >"Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi all, My fiance and I are scheduled to get our interview for K-1 May 29. She's
    >> arriving with her 14 year old son on June 27.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of unique words/slang
    >words
    >> Brits use and what the equivilent word in the US. Thse words are just a
    >few
    >> that I can come up with....
    >>
    >> Jab = Shot Boot = Trunk of car bonnet = Hood of car Sprog = Baby Dog and Bone =
    >> Telephone Brill = Excelent Knakered = Very tired Rubber = Pencil Eraser Fag =
    >> Cigarette All of a twitter = nervous Bit of fluff = a pretty young single woman
    >> Jelly = Jello Dip = Turn off your high beams Dynamo = Electric Generator Fish
    >> Fingers = Fish Sticks Flannel = Wash cloth Chemist = Drug Store Chips = French
    >> Fries Nappy = Diaper
    >>
    >> Any more?????
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >

Grahame and Laura

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.

Old May 12th 2002, 1:20 pm
Steve & Lisa

You could just go to the site: http://www.effingpot.com/index.html

He has a dictionary of them that you can purchase, has been around for quite some
time now.(He lived in the US for a time, now lives back in the UK.)

This online dictionary will convert them for you.......
http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/dict.html

Go here for British - American cooking terms:
http://www.billingtons.co.uk/BRITISH.htm

--
Lisa www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

Old May 12th 2002, 1:20 pm
Gavin.McCormack

Totally agree....my partners two young kids are picking up Glaswegian just
fine....even understand when I say things are too dear...or say wee instead of
little....haha, bet their teachers hate me. G

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I just keep up the Britspeak, and insist that my children do likewise making them
    > bilingual.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ameriscot.com/i130
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 12th 2002, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gavin, I guess if you keep the "parliamo Glesga" to the verbal kind, you'll be fine (actually, cute or quaint is how it will be described). Don't try to salute anyone though - that might not be welcomed.

My advice to new immigrants is to change as little as possible - there are far more advantages than drawbacks to being foreign.
Old May 12th 2002, 4:20 pm
janesays

"gavin.mccormack" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Trousers...pants

you forgot breeks

> Irn Bru...........hell no equivalent lol

I will miss my irn bru too.....I always take over a few bottles when I visit

BUT Coca-Cola company make stuff called Inca Cola, which is kind of similar, not the
same but close enough after a few weeks without our other national drink it is good
enough. Its in a gold can and it seems to be popular in shops frequented by Mexicans,
some of the supermarkets also have it in their International Foods aisle, along with
the Oatcakes!

Old May 12th 2002, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Grahame And Lau
she made the mistake of telling
some local guys there that she exercises her fanny every day
Now what's wrong with this? Any one who has had a baby will know the importance...
Old May 12th 2002, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by janesays
[B
I will miss my irn bru too.....I always take over a few bottles when I visit

[/B]
Irn Bru is available right here in Cincinnati, along with Virgin Cola, Lilt and Fanta. When you pay $1.50 a can for it, though, you wonder what you really liked about it.

Saying that, I do buy Ribena and Orange Barley Water for my kids. Although their culinary standards have gone well south since we came here, I'm glad to say they haven't gone so low as to contemplate drinking grape juice, Koolaid or punch.
Old May 12th 2002, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, on topic, all my neighbours have a porch in front of their houses. We have a veranda. They have a yard, but we have a garden.

They drink Bud Light on their porches while enjoying their yards while counting the lightning bugs and talk about baseball and the latest sale at the mall. We drink French wine on our veranda surveying our garden while counting fireflies and talk about world politics and economic policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.