UK to US flights

Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US flights

Hello all,

Just looking into flights here, and all of the one way trips I've found (opodo, bmi, ebookers, cheapflights, lastminute) are coming in at £500-£600 from Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow to St. Louis. Whilst my fiance is of course worth it, these are sooooo expensive.

Has anyone found a good (ie. cheap!) provider of one way flights?

Thanks.

Peace,

D.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

gracejilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default airfare

My Fiance has been flying KLM mostly and has been paying between 275 and 350 pounds (don't have the symbol on my keyboard). But he is flying Edinburgh to Amsterdam to JFK.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:22 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi D,

book a return flight with a saturday stay, you don't have to come back on it but it will save you £250 at least. I keep checking flights on lastminute.com, opodo,cheapestflights.com and thomascook.com and they are all of a muchness if you get a return. If you don't use the return what are the airline gonna do, serve you horrible food!

Patrick
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point

i have tried USAirways.com, they are pretty good, i could have gotten a flight from the UK to Charlotte for $327 all the way to christmas, its defintely worth a look.. it sometimes is cheaper to book a flight direct through an airline rather than a company, because you dont have to add their fees to your flight....good luck
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

We found that too, to book through the airline was cheaper (most times).

If you book through the airline, but you book online through their website it is usually a little cheaper also.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

PeteJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to US flights

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by dazeychain
Hello all,

Just looking into flights here, and all of the one way trips I've found (opodo, bmi, ebookers, cheapflights, lastminute) are coming in at £500-£600 from Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow to St. Louis. Whilst my fiance is of course worth it, these are sooooo expensive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I discovered a really good site that has got the cheapest flights that I can find..... www.unijet.com - then go to the Flight only and then scheduled flights page and put in your request. Sometimes it is cheaper to put LONDON as starting point to your destination and pick up a seperate flight from Scotland to London.. i have done this many times from Newcastle and never even bother putting newcastle into the search now....

i have found return flights in the last few months from London - North Carolina for £225 including tax then with a £60 add-on from Newcastle to London.

I always avoid the Amsterdam with KLM route...sometimes a little bit cheaper but VERY long, indirect and particularly uncomfortable in my experience!!

Hope this helps!

Pete
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Pete,

Then he must really love me, he's been across at least 16 or 17 times in the last 2 1/2 years.

I went to Scotland last Christmas via KLM, and agree, it is very very long.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a good service and pretty cheap flights from e-bookers.com. It is almost invariably cheaper to book a return flight than a one way.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 11:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazeychain
Hello all,

Has anyone found a good (ie. cheap!) provider of one way flights?

Thanks.

Peace,

D.
All the above suggestions were pretty good speaking as a travel agent. I would add though that booking direct with the airlines is fine IF they are having a sale.USAirways is trying to drum up some biz since they have been having a TOUGH time financially. Unfortunately St Louis is one of those markets that doesn't have the best deals and flying from Newcastle compounds the problem. You would do best with a return flight, booked with a wholesaler AND if possible fly out of London. I know it's a pain, but it's cheaper for me most of the time to fly into London from the US and take a train to Birmingham to see my husband then to fly right into him. Also from where I live (Savannah), it's cheaper to fly from Atlanta, or even to get cheap flights from New York etc. Just a suggestion...Might be cheaper to book a return to an east coast POE and then another return on a different carrier to St Louis.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone...that's given me plenty of work to do this afternoon :-)

Peace,

D.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance Pete takes a train or bus to Gatwick from Cardiff and then catches a flight to Altanta, where I am. He books on expedia.com and has been fortunate with their bargain fares. His flight for December is only 200 pounds round trip. You could travel to London, catch a cheap flight to Atlanta and then another cheap flight out of Atlanta to St Louis. One of the bargain air companies out of Atlanta is AirTran, try them to St. Louis.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 11th 2002, 12:58 pm
ScarlettHill

i got my flights through ebookers and one way was definitely cheaper than two-way. £542 for myself and two kids from manchester to dallas with continental - and that includes airport tax. my flight on its own was less than £200. the price would have been the same out of london, they told me, but manchester is much closer to me.

continental seem to be one of the few who actually charge you half-price for a child and less money for going one way. meals are free. worth checking.

also ebooker have done a u-turn and given me medical insurance for a whole month, despite the fact that i'm going one-way and intending to stay. £70-ish for myself and two kids.

you have to pay £10 more to book over phone instead of the net but their operators are really worth talking to. mine got me extra stop-over time at newark because i need to process my paperwork.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 11th 2002, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

jsv888 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're under 26, www.statravel.co..uk has super cheap flights. You have to get one of their travel cards, but they only cost 7 quid.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 4:18 pm

You should be able to get it for 200GBP from London.
So, find a cheap way to LGW or LHR. (Gatwick or Heathrow)
For info, you can also ask the people at rec.travel.air.

dazeychain wrote:
    >
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Just looking into flights here, and all of the one way trips I've found
    > (opodo, bmi, ebookers, cheapflights, lastminute) are coming in at
    > £500-£600 from Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow to St. Louis. Whilst my
    > fiance is of course worth it, these are sooooo expensive.
    >
    > Has anyone found a good (ie. cheap!) provider of one way flights?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peace,
    >
    > D.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 11th 2002, 4:19 pm
Steve And Lisa

We have a list we collected here:
http://www.britsintheus.com/travel.htm

Flying here Thanksgiving to New Years is always expensive, so you'll just
have to do what you've been doing, shop around.

We did book a flight through a local agent in Derby for Steve's brother this
past summer that saved us around £150. It was on continental which is a
direct flight from London Gatwick to Cleveland Hopkins. (Summer prices are
outrageous as well...cheap if you fly here from Jan - early May
though.......lol). A couple years ago we got his Mum a great RT flight for
£187 during Christmas time on ebookers.

Problem for us is we are not really near a major BIG city. (Cleveland is a
little city compared to NYC or Chicago.)

Good Luck in finding a reasonable flight.

--
Lisa
Our INS Journey from I-130 to N-400 thus far..............
www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

"dazeychain" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    > Just looking into flights here, and all of the one way trips I've found
    > (opodo, bmi, ebookers, cheapflights, lastminute) are coming in at
    > £500-£600 from Manchester/Newcastle/Glasgow to St. Louis. Whilst my
    > fiance is of course worth it, these are sooooo expensive.
    > Has anyone found a good (ie. cheap!) provider of one way flights?
    > Thanks.
    > Peace,
    > D.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.