British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   UK NURSE TO USA TEXAS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/uk-nurse-usa-texas-937078/)

sarhamed Feb 10th 2021 9:52 pm

UK NURSE TO USA TEXAS

Hi everyone,
I really need advice. I am a newly qualified adult nurse and I want to relocate to the USA texas precisely. I've been told I just need to do my NCLEX. Does anyone know any successful agencies that take UK nurses to the USA and also the timeframe. I have been trying to find a job that would sponsor me to go but don't know how to. Can I go as a newly qualified nurse?

SanDiegogirl Feb 11th 2021 1:26 am

Re: UK NURSE TO USA TEXAS

Does it have to be Texas? Why Texas?

If you want to move to the US then getting a job anywhere gives you more scope

Google How to work as Nurse in the US and several 'agencies' come up.

christmasoompa Feb 11th 2021 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sarhamed (Post 12970422)
Hi everyone,
I really need advice. I am a newly qualified adult nurse and I want to relocate to the USA texas precisely. I've been told I just need to do my NCLEX. Does anyone know any successful agencies that take UK nurses to the USA and also the timeframe. I have been trying to find a job that would sponsor me to go but don't know how to. Can I go as a newly qualified nurse?

Visas used to be impossible for nurses, but I think now it's possible, although rare - and as a newly qualified nurse it would be even trickier.

But you wouldn't get to pick where you go from my understanding, we have a nurse on the forum who had been told she was going to Louisiana, that changed to Arizona a couple of weeks before their move date, then just a few days before they left she was told it was going to be Texas! So you would just have to go wherever the agency places you. Why Texas, is there a specific reason, a love interest maybe?

It took the nurse in question a couple of years I think, but have a search of the forum for info and you'll find relevant threads - her username is 'sarasotachic' IIRC.

Good luck.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 11th 2021 2:27 pm

It is the other way around, there used to be a specific visa for Nurses, I know someone who came on a H1b but not applicable in the OP's case

Usual deal is an EB3 the sponsor requires you to give them so much blood presumably ar sub normal wages in less than attractive locations. OP's main issues is that they need to meet US qualifications which has been discussed on here more times than I care to remember.

Lanyu Feb 12th 2021 2:16 am

Hi everyone,

We found job listing in the RCN bulletin originally. As a newly qualified nurse the agencies may not accept you but it's going to take you probably 2 years to get approved study for and sit the NCLEX before the agency can file to get your priority date so that you can join the queue.

Scott33 Feb 12th 2021 3:31 am

Hi everyone,

The US don't have separate RN degrees for adult / paeds / MH / learning disabilities. As such, you will need to show proof of theory AND clinical time for all of those specialties in your transcripts, in order to sit for the NCLEX. I'm not sure of the hours required, but I assume it would be equally weighted for each specialty. I remember when I sat the NCLEX in 2006, that it was quite heavy on mental health nursing. I have heard others say that theirs had a ridiculous amount of pediatrics. The NCLEX will always be completely random in what you are tested on, so think more 'general' nursing than 'specialized' and you will see why many UK-trained nurses face problems in transferring.

As mentioned, there are plenty of posts in the archives that has covered this topic.