UK Citizen seeking Green Card

Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:06 am
Just Joined

CA90210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen seeking Green Card

I’m a UK citizen and I want to live in the USA. I have my own businesses and whilst I am successful, $1 Million is not an insignificant amount to me to spend for an Investment Green Card. I’m wondering, if I set up a company in the US (regardless of the investment) and then sponsor myself for a Green Card, could that be a possibility? If this is, would there be any restrictions or problems? Like would I only be able to work for that company and be confined to that set area, and would there be other restriction that a GC Holder would not normally have? I’m not looking to take an American job, but I would like the freedom to further my own business interests and so on.

Thanks for your views.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 5th 2011 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Moved to Imm forum
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen seeking Green Card

Originally Posted by CA90210
I’m a UK citizen and I want to live in the USA. I have my own businesses and whilst I am successful, $1 Million is not an insignificant amount to me to spend for an Investment Green Card. I’m wondering, if I set up a company in the US (regardless of the investment) and then sponsor myself for a Green Card, could that be a possibility? If this is, would there be any restrictions or problems? Like would I only be able to work for that company and be confined to that set area, and would there be other restriction that a GC Holder would not normally have? I’m not looking to take an American job, but I would like the freedom to further my own business interests and so on.

Thanks for your views.
You might get more answers if you post this question in the Immigration forum - but you might not get the answers you want.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own businesses and whilst I am successful, $1 Million is not an insignificant amount to me to spend for an Investment Green Card.
Consider it the cost of doing business.

I’m wondering, if I set up a company in the US (regardless of the investment) and then sponsor myself for a Green Card, could that be a possibility?
Are you suggesting opening a US branch of your current business? If so, your existing company could sponsor you for an L-1A visa and, once in the US, the company could sponsor you for a change of status to Permanent Resident (= green card). The trick here, is that the existing business must remain in operation throughout.

In theory it sounds easy, but there's quite a bit of paperwork involved... and it's neither a "slam dunk" nor a DIY project. You will want to engage an experienced immigration attorney (not service) to assist.

Perhaps a moderator can move this to a more suitable forum.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:47 am
Just Joined

CA90210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Consider it the cost of doing business.

Are you suggesting opening a US branch of your current business? If so, your existing company could sponsor you for an L-1A visa and, once in the US, the company could sponsor you for a change of status to Permanent Resident (= green card). The trick here, is that the existing business must remain in operation throughout.

In theory it sounds easy, but there's quite a bit of paperwork involved... and it's neither a "slam dunk" nor a DIY project. You will want to engage an experienced immigration attorney (not service) to assist.

Perhaps a moderator can move this to a more suitable forum.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I'm very aware I will need an experience immigration attorney to complete the formalities, but I need to make my plan first.

When I said $1M is not an insignificant amount to me, I was leaning towards it's not something I could likely come up with soon as my industry is very much more in the US and most of the business I do now is directed towards the US because that's where the market is, so I really need to be there to make the millions, but it's catch 22 in that sense.

I'm not sure whether suggesting opening a US branch of my current business or opening a new business entirely in the US. Would either be viable routes for a Green Card, and either a better route?

Back to my original question, what kind of requirements and restrictions would this situation pose if any? As it's my company would that be allowed for me to in effect sponsor myself, and would it be okay that it's not the $1M investment because it's not the Investment Green Card (are there requirements for the company in the L-1A Visa, for example investment, turnover, time of establishment, etc?)?
And in addition, would this type of GC have more restrictions than others, like not being able to work for any other company or conduct any other business activities or be confined to that said area?

There's some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here as I've studied these forums, I hope some will be able to shed some light.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I'm very aware I will need an experience immigration attorney to complete the formalities, but I need to make my plan first.

When I said $1M is not an insignificant amount to me, I was leaning towards it's not something I could likely come up with soon as my industry is very much more in the US and most of the business I do now is directed towards the US because that's where the market is, so I really need to be there to make the millions, but it's catch 22 in that sense.

I'm not sure whether suggesting opening a US branch of my current business or opening a new business entirely in the US. Would either be viable routes for a Green Card, and either a better route?

Back to my original question, what kind of requirements and restrictions would this situation pose if any? As it's my company would that be allowed for me to in effect sponsor myself, and would it be okay that it's not the $1M investment because it's not the Investment Green Card (are there requirements for the company in the L-1A Visa, for example investment, turnover, time of establishment, etc?)?
And in addition, would this type of GC have more restrictions than others, like not being able to work for any other company or conduct any other business activities or be confined to that said area?

There's some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here as I've studied these forums, I hope some will be able to shed some light.

Thanks
How big is the UK business, how many employees, turnover.

What field of operation are you considering.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

the L1A fits you well IF you can demonstrate that the UK company can and will continue to operate with you in the US. Its harder with solely owned entities -are you the 100% shareholder in the UK ?

if you can get past this then you dont need to invest $1m

you will need to set up a start up company in the US as a subsidiary of the UK one and show a plan for growth AND employment of US citizens withing the year you will get your visa for. Oh and need an office etc.

once ensconced you can then persue the GC

oh and you must have 'worked' for the UK company for at least a year in the past 3 .
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your views.
why not go for the $500k alternative then
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

I think we are suggesting you have that part backward. Consulting with a lawyer is HOW you make your plan. They know a lot more about immigration than you and can point out options you may have missed.

You will do yourself a disservice if you think the lawyer is just filling in forms for you.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

Why not go for the EB-5 visa and invest 500K?

You can then live wherever you want and start your own company, without any restrictions.

Porvera
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

AMBASSODOR is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your views.
hmmm.. send me a pm, im sure we can talk
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AMBASSODOR
hmmm.. send me a pm, im sure we can talk
If you've got something to add, this is the place!
Welcome to BritishExpats, where we discourage discussion of immigration matters in private message and email.

You never know who's on the other side of the screen, y'know?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

AMBASSODOR is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm your right like you don't know who's behind this screen lol whoever is curious enough feel free to pm with a yahoo chat account specifically yahoo then we might be able to get to know eachother lol
awesome forum by the way!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by AMBASSODOR
hmm your right like you don't know who's behind this screen lol whoever is curious enough feel free to pm with a yahoo chat account specifically yahoo then we might be able to get to know eachother lol
awesome forum by the way!!!!
What I'm getting at actually, is that it's very strange for someone to post a message like yours as their first. It looks like soliciting business; I'm sure a quick review of the site rules will help you stay on the right side of not soliciting here.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice

meauxna, don't you know it's inappropriate to speak to dignitaries such as an "AMBASSODOR" in such a manor? Perhaps you haven't checked your email in a while, but there are many AMBASSODORS who are seeking the help to move large sums of money in exchange for handsome commissions!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:45 am
Just Joined

vcns is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your views.
L1A visa is applied for by the british company, as long as you have been with them for at least a year. Even if you are the owner you can move yourself to USA to open a branch (although it doent have to be the same industry as the UK parent) Then once there you can, under dual intent, apply for an adjustment of status to permanent residence (green card!)

as a ps if you wne t doewn the eb5 investment visa route you wouldnt need $1mil as most states now have a limit of 500k for a struggling economy. You can invest e.g. in Texas but live in florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.