Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Uk Citizen, now dual national, effect on ESTA

Uk Citizen, now dual national, effect on ESTA

Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

sammy54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Citizen, now dual national, effect on ESTA

My esta expires 2018.

I have recently become an Irish citizen. esta was originally done under my UK passport.

I would like to have my Irish passport as my main travel document for the US.

I assume I need to redo esta due to the change in circumstance.

This being correct, is my best option is to do a new esta with the UK passport as the main one (to stop my having two active estas with different passports), wait for that esta to expire, then change to my Irish passport in 2019?
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Citizen, now dual national, effect on ESTA

Originally Posted by sammy54
I assume I need to redo esta due to the change in circumstance.
If you continue using your current UK passport, then you do not need to redo ESTA. If, however, you want to use your Irish passport for travel to the US, then you'll need a new ESTA in that passport.

... is my best option is to do a new esta with the UK passport as the main one (to stop my having two active estas with different passports), wait for that esta to expire, then change to my Irish passport in 2019?
What's "best" is what works for you. To my knowledge, you can have only one valid ESTA, so if you apply using your Irish passport, then your existing ESTA will become invalid.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask why you prefer to travel under your Irish passport as opposed to your British passport?

You aren't accorded any special privileges using one over the other.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If ...
So continue using the UK passport esta, when the esta expires switch to Irish.

I was under the impression that any major change in esta, such as adding a nationality (or joining an online forum - which seems to be the latest question added to esta) would invalidate the esta.

Social Media (Optional)

Please enter information associated with your online presence.

Provider / Platform Social Media Identifier
Old Jan 4th 2017, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that any major change in esta, such as adding a nationality...
I'm pretty sure the question mentions a change of citizenship which isn't the same as acquiring a new citizenship. You haven't changed citizenship... you're still a UKC. ESTA is currently linked to your UK passport and that hasn't changed.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2017, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi

thanks for the reply, questions of concern where the answers have changed are

Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country? *

Help for this one is

"If you have never been issued any one of these documents by any other country answer "No" to this question. If you have been issued one of these documents from another country, but you do not remember the passport number or national identification card number and the year of expiration answer "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and four zeros "0000" in the year of expiration field.'"

and

Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?*

"If Yes, select the country first, then select how you acquired the citizenship/nationality."

As i (sadly) keep all previous stuff like this, my answers were originally

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ISSUED A PASSPORT OR NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD FOR TRAVEL BY ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No

OTHER CITIZENSHIP/NATIONALITY

ARE YOU NOW, A CITIZEN OR NATIONAL OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A CITIZEN OR NATIONAL OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thanks for the reply, questions of concern where the answers have changed are

Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country? *

Help for this one is

"If you have never been issued any one of these documents by any other country answer "No" to this question. If you have been issued one of these documents from another country, but you do not remember the passport number or national identification card number and the year of expiration answer "UNKNOWN" in the passport number field and four zeros "0000" in the year of expiration field.'"

and

Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?*

"If Yes, select the country first, then select how you acquired the citizenship/nationality."

As i (sadly) keep all previous stuff like this, my answers were originally

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ISSUED A PASSPORT OR NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD FOR TRAVEL BY ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No

OTHER CITIZENSHIP/NATIONALITY

ARE YOU NOW, A CITIZEN OR NATIONAL OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A CITIZEN OR NATIONAL OF ANY OTHER COUNTRY? No

I have an Irish passport and British Passport. I used the UK passport for every interaction with the US. I never even mentioned the Irish passport on any visa, AOS or naturalization (I now have a US passport).

Do not complicate things and just let sleeping dogs lie.

I've never used the Irish passport for anything. The passport was available from the 1998 good friday agreement so I applied.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?
I suppose this depends on whether or not you have recently naturalized as an Irish citizen... or whether you've always been an Irish citizen and have just now realized it. If the latter then, as noted earlier, nothing has actually changed.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

I went through foreign births registration as my grandfather was born in Ireland.

I think the sleeping dog may have to be left to snooze.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a lot of people have done this, applied for an Irish passport since the Brexit so as to keep freedom of movement within the EU. In fact, you could have applied for an Irish passport before the Good Friday Agreement.
I would keep using the UK passport, just my thought.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

I worked in France in the days when you needed a carte de sejour, the process of obtaining Irish citizenship was a lot less painful than getting that document. They had me running through hoops.