Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen, Canadian PR (pending): Visiting my girlfriend in the US.

UK Citizen, Canadian PR (pending): Visiting my girlfriend in the US.

Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Citizen, Canadian PR (pending): Visiting my girlfriend in the US.

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. Excuse the crudity of bullet points, but I just thought it would be easier for you all to skim read!

- I am English by birth.

- I am applying for Canadian Permanent Residency (which I hope will be approved by the end of 2015).

- My girlfriend lives in Pittsburgh, PA.

- I am planning on flying to Vancouver in March/April 2016 to land and activate my PR.

- Shortly after, I plan to fly to Pittsburgh, and stay with my girlfriend. Ideally for 5-6 months, but this is negotiable.

- I will have around £12,000 in savings, £5,000 of which would be used to cover the costs of this trip.

- I will be unemployed at the time, and will not have a job lined up. I plan on sorting this out once I get back to Canada after my trip (hence the decent amount of savings).

- I travelled to Pittsburgh for 2 weeks in May 2015 and 1 week in July 2015. I had no issues at immigration for either trip. I am also planning a trip for 2-3 weeks in November 2015 (a week in Florida, followed by 1/2 weeks in Pittsburgh).

1. Do I need a B2 visa, or is that just for UK residents travelling to the US from the UK?

2. Can I travel using my Canadian residency? I believe Canadians can enter the US for up to 182 days, but is that for Canadian Citizens, or Residents also?

3. I am prepared for the questions likely to be asked by US immigration officers. Is it unlikely that I will be admitted for 5-6 months, despite having decent savings, due to the fact that I don't have any ties to Canada, other than having just been granted Permanent Residency? (I figured that spending a load of money and time on PR for Canada would be a pretty good incentive to return to Canada after my trip?)

4. Is there any general advice that anyone can give regarding this? I plan on being honest with the immigration officer, but I understand that they are bound to be suspicious. I don't intend on marrying my girlfriend whilst in the States (we haven't discussed anything of the sort yet, we only met in May) and do not plan on working (my savings should mean I have sufficient cash that I don't need to - something I hope will help convince the US border officer.)
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen, Canadian PR (pending): Visiting my girlfriend in the US.

I think you may have issues. PR can only stay 90 days, you have to be a citizen to benefit for longer stay.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:04 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen, Canadian PR (pending): Visiting my girlfriend in the US.

There is no advantage to being landed in Canada when it comes to entry to the US. They will process you as a UK citizen. That would most likely be a VWP entry for 90 days.

Prior to March 17th of 2003, a citizen of the UK or any other commonwealth country (Pakistan, Nigeria, India, Jamaica, Australia etc) who was landed in Canada was passport, visa and I-94 exempt and could be admitted simply by making a verbal declaration. Legally, they could be admitted without any ID, but the border guards would require ID at their discretion.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks CRG. I wasn't trying to gain advantage by being landed in Canada, it was just easier logistically than me flying trans-Atlantic twice.

I've since found out that a rejected B-2 visa can invalidate your VWP forever, meaning you need to apply for a visa each and every time. Seems ridiculously harsh considering that you can easily be rejected for a B-2 for simply not having sufficient ties to your home country.

Is this just panic button stuff? Or is it really that hard to get a B-2 visa without substantial ties? I'd like to go for 6 months, but at the moment, it looks as though I'm going to limit it to less than 90 days, and save myself the potential hassle (all for the sake of 3 months).
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed very hard to get a B2 visa if you are eligible to use the VWP. Simply wanting to spend more time in the USA is not a good enough reason for needing a B2. Sightseeing and visiting friends (including girlfriends) can be done on 2 separate VWP trips.

If the B2 is denied, it doesn't invalidate ESTA approval forever, but it usually means a denied ESTA for the next 6 to 12 months.

Most visitors to the USA are unable to take so much time off work, or have the funds to sustain such a long visit without working, so B2 visa applications look fishy from the start (to a ConOff).

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
I've since found out that a rejected B-2 visa can invalidate your VWP forever, meaning you need to apply for a visa each and every time.
No, it doesn't... and whoever told you that, or wherever you read that, it's simply wrong.

Is this just panic button stuff?
No... and you're simply processing incorrect information.

Ian
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:13 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a foreign residence makes it tough to be a visitor. So abandoning the foreign residence, landing in Canada and then immediately attempting to take long "visits" could be a problem. You're supposed to have a dwelling place outside of the US or you don't fit the visitor category.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice/insight everyone.

Thanks for the clarification, Ian. I did think that was a bit ridiculous. Hard to know what is right and wrong when it comes to these things.

Just further to the above - when travelling on the VWP, and trying to enter the US for 3 months (less than 90 days), am I likely to experience the same issues with regard to not having a job/abode in Vancouver? I assume they will be more strict when approving a B-2 visa, and I guess it all depends on who you get. The last few times I travelled to the US, I don't remember getting asked much more than "when are you leaving?" and "what is the purpose of your trip?"

The main things I'm expecting they'll ask will be:
"What is the purpose of your trip?" Visiting friends in Pittsburgh.
"When will you be leaving the US?" I'll give the date and present return flight info if they require it.
"How can you take 3 months off work?" I am currently unemployed due to recently relocating to Canada to reside there permanently. Although my main occupation for the past 3 years was as a contracted worker in the finance industry. I'll be continuing this in Canada. So I often get the opportunity to switch contracts and/or take time off if desired. (That's true, I haven't made that up.)
"How will you support yourself in the US?" Savings (will show them balances if required).

I plan on registering with temp agencies before I go, so that I can get employment sorted as soon as I return to Vancouver. I also have a pending soccer coaching role lined up (based on me returning to Vancouver), although admittedly this is voluntary. I will be able to give an address in Vancouver if required, although I won't own property (although not many people in Vancouver do!)

I feel like I'm worrying about this unnecessarily? (Although I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared).
Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I'm worrying about this unnecessarily?
I think you are, yes.

Although I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
True - but not if it causes you to worry unnecessarily!

Don't try to rehearse the answers. Why? What if they ask you a question you hadn't yet thought of? Will you hum and haw about it until you come up with something you think will suffice? Here's a hint: Do not try to get inside the officer's head. You won't win. Just tell the truth, as simply as you can... without embellishment or comment.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2015, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think you are, yes.

True - but not if it causes you to worry unnecessarily!

Don't try to rehearse the answers. Why? What if they ask you a question you hadn't yet thought of? Will you hum and haw about it until you come up with something you think will suffice? Here's a hint: Do not try to get inside the officer's head. You won't win. Just tell the truth, as simply as you can... without embellishment or comment.

Ian
Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:42 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice/insight everyone.

Thanks for the clarification, Ian. I did think that was a bit ridiculous. Hard to know what is right and wrong when it comes to these things.

Just further to the above - when travelling on the VWP, and trying to enter the US for 3 months (less than 90 days), am I likely to experience the same issues with regard to not having a job/abode in Vancouver? I assume they will be more strict when approving a B-2 visa, and I guess it all depends on who you get. The last few times I travelled to the US, I don't remember getting asked much more than "when are you leaving?" and "what is the purpose of your trip?"

The main things I'm expecting they'll ask will be:
"What is the purpose of your trip?" Visiting friends in Pittsburgh.
"When will you be leaving the US?" I'll give the date and present return flight info if they require it.
"How can you take 3 months off work?" I am currently unemployed due to recently relocating to Canada to reside there permanently. Although my main occupation for the past 3 years was as a contracted worker in the finance industry. I'll be continuing this in Canada. So I often get the opportunity to switch contracts and/or take time off if desired. (That's true, I haven't made that up.)
"How will you support yourself in the US?" Savings (will show them balances if required).

I plan on registering with temp agencies before I go, so that I can get employment sorted as soon as I return to Vancouver. I also have a pending soccer coaching role lined up (based on me returning to Vancouver), although admittedly this is voluntary. I will be able to give an address in Vancouver if required, although I won't own property (although not many people in Vancouver do!)

I feel like I'm worrying about this unnecessarily? (Although I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared).
You could simplify your answers a bit.

Purpose for visiting? Pleasure.
Length of stay? X weeks/months
How can you take the time off? In between contracting jobs.

No need to go into detail unless they ask.