UK to Canada to US?

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

jonobaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK to Canada to US?

My wife and I really want to emmigrate to the States. I'm a journalist (36) and my wife's in marketing (32). I have a brother who's a US citizen, and I know using him as a sponsor is going to take anything between 10 and 15 years to get a visa. I had heard that if you emmigrate to Canada (we seem to meet the points system) after about four years you can then apply for US immigration and it's a lot quicker. Does anybody know anything about doing this? We're planning to holiday in Vancouver next spring and who knows, we may like it enough to move there permanently.
If I take the long route using my brother am I right in thinking it would be a permanent residency visa and my wife could also work?
Many thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 6:39 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Canada to US?

Originally Posted by jonobaker
My wife and I really want to emmigrate to the States. I'm a journalist (36) and my wife's in marketing (32). I have a brother who's a US citizen, and I know using him as a sponsor is going to take anything between 10 and 15 years to get a visa. I had heard that if you emmigrate to Canada (we seem to meet the points system) after about four years you can then apply for US immigration and it's a lot quicker. Does anybody know anything about doing this? We're planning to holiday in Vancouver next spring and who knows, we may like it enough to move there permanently.
If I take the long route using my brother am I right in thinking it would be a permanent residency visa and my wife could also work?
Many thanks
Canadians don't get any break when it comes to immigrating to the U.S. They do qualify for NAFTA temporary work visas. Those are for professionals, so someone in sales and journalism may not qualify. If only one of you qualified for a NAFTA visa, the other could not work. NAFTA doesn't lead directly to a green card or citizenship, has to be renewed each year, and requires the holder to maintain a separate foreign residence to return to in the event that they lose their job. Once their children outgrow the dependant status they must leave the United States.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonobaker
Many thanks
I must admit I can not get my head around doing something that would take so long to come to fruition.

As I understand it Yes, the US Embassy site is pretty good and I would have a read up on that.

BUT That applies for now, nobody knows what the future could be, certainly so far.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:22 pm
Stuart Brook

jonobaker wrote:
    > My wife and I really want to emmigrate to the States. I'm a journalist
    > (36) and my wife's in marketing (32). I have a brother who's a US citiz-
    > en, and I know using him as a sponsor is going to take anything between
    > 10 and 15 years to get a visa. I had heard that if you emmigrate to Can-
    > ada (we seem to meet the points system) after about four years you can
    > then apply for US immigration and it's a lot quicker. Does anybody know
    > anything about doing this? We're planning to holiday in Vancouver next
    > spring and who knows, we may like it enough to move there permanently.
    > If I take the long route using my brother am I right in thinking it wou-
    > ld be a permanent residency visa and my wife could also work?
    > Many thanks
    >

It's no quicker than doing it as a Brit. There is no advantage to come
as a Canadian to the US.

Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:42 am
Mickey

It's an 'old wives tale', sorry.

"jonobaker" <member28592@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > My wife and I really want to emmigrate to the States. I'm a journalist
    > (36) and my wife's in marketing (32). I have a brother who's a US citiz-
    > en, and I know using him as a sponsor is going to take anything between
    > 10 and 15 years to get a visa. I had heard that if you emmigrate to Can-
    > ada (we seem to meet the points system) after about four years you can
    > then apply for US immigration and it's a lot quicker. Does anybody know
    > anything about doing this? We're planning to holiday in Vancouver next
    > spring and who knows, we may like it enough to move there permanently.
    > If I take the long route using my brother am I right in thinking it wou-
    > ld be a permanent residency visa and my wife could also work?
    > Many thanks
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com