Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

UK Based US Immigration Lawyer Recommendation?

UK Based US Immigration Lawyer Recommendation?

Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Bing and Lem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Based US Immigration Lawyer Recommendation?

Hi all,

Hoping anyone out there could be helpful enough to point me in the right direction as to recommend an Immigration Lawyer that they have used, with smooth dealings ultimate success.
I'm just staring out with this long journey, and have no idea who to seek some initial advise from to point me in the direction of what Visa i can and can't apply for based on my story etc etc.

can anyone happily help me

Drew
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Based US Immigration Lawyer Recommendation?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can search the forum to find lawyers that have been recommended previously (they don't need to be in the UK, it can all be done remotely usually), but in all honesty, the forum members here will be able to advise you on your visa options for free. There are a lot of very knowledgeable forum members who will be only too happy to help if you want to avail yourself of their advice.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You can search the forum to find lawyers that have been recommended previously (they don't need to be in the UK, it can all be done remotely usually), but in all honesty, the forum members here will be able to advise you on your visa options for free. There are a lot of very knowledgeable forum members who will be only too happy to help if you want to avail yourself of their advice.

HTH, good luck.
Thank you for the speedy response.

where do i locate the lawyer recommendations please as am a bit lost on this site as its so new to me, can you point me please?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bing and Lem

where do i locate the lawyer recommendations please as am a bit lost on this site as its so new to me, can you point me please?
The search bar is on the top right of each forum, it will bring up relevant threads for you. The FAQ may be useful - British Expats - FAQ: General Forum Usage

And in case you've not discovered it yet, our excellent 'Pulaskis Ways' articles outlines all the possible visa routes for the US, so grab a cuppa and have a read of that, once you've identified which visa route you may be eligible (if any - do be prepared to not find one, the US is notorious as one of the toughest countries to move to), then you can ask our fab forum members about it. Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH, best of luck.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

nelson2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would highly recommend Steven Heller of SDH immigration as I have used his services. Just google his details. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

perfect, i'll get reading then
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nelson2
I would highly recommend Steven Heller of SDH immigration as I have used his services. Just google his details. Hope this helps.
Thats great, very useful, thank you
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:55 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to share why you think you need a lawyer instead of asking for help on here?

Thats no fun.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

perfect, i'll get reading then
Before you leap in and run up a hefty legal bill, would you be willing to share a few details as to what you think qualifies you for a US visa? Then we can give you a few pointers, and at least help you have an informed conversation with a lawyer.

Or do you just fancy a change of scenery and think that Orlando would be a cool place to live because of your children?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by az2014
Not going to share why you think you need a lawyer instead of asking for help on here?

Thats no fun.
US Immigration Lawyer in the UK

Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Before you leap in and run up a hefty legal bill, would you be willing to share a few details as to what you think qualifies you for a US visa? Then we can give you a few pointers, and at least help you have an informed conversation with a lawyer.

Or do you just fancy a change of scenery and think that Orlando would be a cool place to live because of your children?
Here we go then.

I've sold my UK business and have been offered a partnership with a previous supplier in another UK based business whom already has US distributors for his brand, but no business base over there.
He wants to set up an in essence US division of whats currently established here in the UK. The 'plan' is, i relocate over there to Colorado with my family and run the new division on a partnership basis and look after the established customer base already in place in North and South America. I would like to initially rent a house my wife and our 2 young teenage children before committing to purchasing a property until i know everything is going okay and schooling is going well for the children etc etc obviously
i know above is extremely brief, but you did ask

thank
Drew
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

E2? What will be the investment?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
E2? What will be the investment?
Before we thought 'visa's' when this was evolving..

From a business point of view, My investment personally will be nothing financial, only my time to run the company daily, my Business partner will invest the initial inventory of circa $100k to start at a guess, and the new company will pay the rental on a commercial unit and all other expenses
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go then.

I've sold my UK business and have been offered a partnership with a previous supplier in another UK based business whom already has US distributors for his brand, but no business base over there.
He wants to set up an in essence US division of whats currently established here in the UK. The 'plan' is, i relocate over there to Colorado with my family and run the new division on a partnership basis and look after the established customer base already in place in North and South America. I would like to initially rent a house my wife and our 2 young teenage children before committing to purchasing a property until i know everything is going okay and schooling is going well for the children etc etc obviously. .....
OK, here you go.

If the business and you are both British, then an E-2 would enable you to be hired/ enter partnership, and go to the US immediately (after obtaining the visa) to set up and manage the US operations. You would be an E-2 employee, not a direct investor, but the business owner would also need an E-2 for you to be an employee.

An L-1A would require you to work for the business in the UK for 12 months before you could relocate as an existing manager. You could visit the US on the VWP (or B-1/B-2 if you aren't VWP eligible) to find premises, sign a lease, interview and hire staff, open bank accounts, connect utilities, buy/ lease equipment, meet customers and suppliers, etc, but not "work". You would have to add any time spent in the US to the 12 months before you could get an L-1A.

Both the E-2 and the L-1A come with "trailing spouse" visas (an E-2 and an L-2, respectively), and both allow your spouse to apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) which allows them to work. If you aren't married then your SO can get a B-2, which puts them in a shadowy world where they barely exist, they can't get an SSN, and they can't work.

Your children will age out at 21 in both cases, and they will have to leave the US if they can't find their own visa to apply for. Both visas would allow your employer to petition for permanent residence, and five years after that is granted you can apply for citizenship - if your children are less than 18 then they ride on your coat tails and become citizens automatically when you do (you still have to apply, but there is no interview or oath ceremonies for them). Children on visas cannot get SSNs or work, so no Saturday or holiday jobs for them.

Questions?

Moving teenagers and finding the right side school is a whole other matter!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 20th 2017 at 3:02 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Sounds a bit low, maybe he could go for an E2 and you for an E2 Employee?

Sometimes there is not an option.

Let us know how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.