UK 20 wanting to move to US NJ

Old Mar 21st 2021, 1:30 am
Just Joined

rubiqA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK 20 wanting to move to US NJ

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Until such time as you complete your degree you have no chance of getting a job in the US. Even then, sponsoring employers want experienced staff.
So, arriving in the US with job is not going to happen for several years.
Oh, an apprenticeship will give me work experience with the company, along with a degree at the end of it. So I will have the experience and qualifications at the end.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubiqA
Oh, an apprenticeship will give me work experience with the company, along with a degree at the end of it. So I will have the experience and qualifications at the end.
Still not likely to lead to a visa/sponsoring employer though, so work on the assumption that marriage will have to be your way over when you're ready.

Will the apprenticeship actually give you a degree? Or something that is equivalent to a degree? If the latter it may not be recognised in the US, so another option would be as suggested above, a student visa if you have the funds. You could then study in the US, see if you like it, and get a degree that will be recognised by employers there.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

In what capacity is your love interest here? If they are a US citizen you can apply for a K-1 fiancé visa or get married and then apply for a CR-1 spouse visa. If they are an LPR (green card holder) or work/student visa holder then you would have to be married before you can live here through your loved one.

Have you actually met? I’m guessing not. But realistically your “easiest” way is through marriage. If marriage is on the cards, of course.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, not fiancee as of right now because I want to meet her asap but covid says no of course. The plan is to hopefully have something grow between us and eventually marry her after I get my degree and I will have experience along with this. Thanks for the response .
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not fiancee as of right now because I want to meet her asap but covid says no of course. The plan is to hopefully have something grow between us and eventually marry her after I get my degree and I will have experience along with this. Thanks for the response .
Why don’t you two meet in the UK and take it from there...? She’s free to travel to the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by destone
Why don’t you two meet in the UK and take it from there...? She’s free to travel to the UK.
Yeah, we've decided that we will either do that or if travel is re-enabled I can go over. ty.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we've decided that we will either do that or if travel is re-enabled I can go over. ty.
What I mean is that yes, you need to wait but, on the other hand, she can travel to the UK as there’s no blanket entry ban for US departures.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 2:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't yet told us what your degree will be. Could you give us the official term? If you do so, people will be able to advise if it might lead to US employment in years to come.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

BTEC Level 6 is the UK equivalent of a Bachelors Degree, Level 7 would be a Masters. The current qualification is A Level standard, so a USA High School Diploma with Advanced classes.

So, essentially, the OP will have a Degree and 4 years of direct work experience in Mechanical Engineering once completed.

Last edited by robtuck; Mar 22nd 2021 at 6:17 pm.