UK 20 wanting to move to US NJ

Old Mar 19th 2021, 10:05 am
Just Joined

rubiqA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK 20 wanting to move to US NJ

Hi, I have a BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in Mechanical engineering and I'm hoping to do a Mechanical Design engineering apprenticeship over 3/4 years resulting in me qualifying with a Level 6 degree. What are my chances in getting a job in the US New Jersey area and what visas and other legalities are required for me to be there as a British Citizen?
Be as brutally honest and clear as possible, your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 20 wanting to move to US NJ

Originally Posted by rubiqA
Hi, I have a BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in Mechanical engineering and I'm hoping to do a Mechanical Design engineering apprenticeship over 3/4 years resulting in me qualifying with a Level 6 degree. What are my chances in getting a job in the US New Jersey area and what visas and other legalities are required for me to be there as a British Citizen?
Be as brutally honest and clear as possible, your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our US immigration section, where you'll get more responses I think.

Any particular reason you're looking specifically at NJ, do you have a love interest or close family there? If so, that may be an easier visa route for you. But you can see all of the available visa options here and see if you think you may be eligible for any - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

HTH, best of luck.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Oh, thank you!! yeah a love interest and also it looks so nice over there!
Old Mar 19th 2021, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Damn thought it was because he had seen the Sopranos box set.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Be as brutally honest and clear as possible
Ok here we go.

Your chances are zero. Nothing. Nada. Don't waste time even looking at it.

Until you are ready to get married to your love interest. At that point you have options. At that point you can look at either the K1 or the CR1 visa process and decide which fits best for you.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

With a plan, not impossible. If you work for a few years in the right kind of job, you could perhaps transfer over here but it wont be easy. Also, your unlikely to have an choice about where exactly you end up. Get a full degree too, that makes H1-B etc an option for you.

For context, I'm not much older than you and moved to New Jersey nearly two years ago with my employer (a large multinational). How much time have you spent here to conclude 'it looks so nice over there'?
Old Mar 19th 2021, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Until you are ready to get married to your love interest. At that point you have options. At that point you can look at either the K1 or the CR1 visa process and decide which fits best for you.
+1
Old Mar 19th 2021, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

F1 Student Visa?
Old Mar 19th 2021, 4:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
F1 Student Visa?
I must confess to having forgot about the F1 entirely.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Until such time as you complete your degree you have no chance of getting a job in the US. Even then, sponsoring employers want experienced staff.
So, arriving in the US with job is not going to happen for several years.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 6:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar idea to you aged 21, I already had a BSc from a top 20 UK university at that point. I was not ready to get married to my USC girlfriend. 9 years work experience and and post graduate degree later I moved on an L1a, then got a GC through work and eventually became a USC.

In general if you are from a “ROW” country, are smart and work hard and long enough at your goal you can make it. Took me close to 10 years... probably doable faster if you pick the right area or study and employment. Don’t just focus on the quickest way over, you also need to make sure you will be employable in a job that pays enough to make it worth living here.

As for getting over here much sooner to see how it goes with your love interest (without marriage) your probably limited to apply as an AuPair on a J or if you can afford it as an international student on an F.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 7:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubiqA
Oh, thank you!! yeah a love interest and also it looks so nice over there!

It sounds as if you haven't actually been to NJ. Note that you will have to have met in person before considering the matrimony route.
Old Mar 19th 2021, 8:39 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It sounds as if you haven't actually been to NJ. Note that you will have to have met in person before considering the matrimony route.
I had a corporate apt in Hoboken for a while and it was nice there. I than that I only ever really saw it from the highway and train out to EWR and that was mostly marsh...

But I know plenty of people who live there, pay very high property taxes and (used to) commute to NYC for work, so it can’t be all that bad.

Maybe the OP watched the Jersey Shore on MTV and is in to GTL...
Old Mar 19th 2021, 9:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I had a corporate apt in Hoboken for a while and it was nice there. I than that I only ever really saw it from the highway and train out to EWR and that was mostly marsh...

But I know plenty of people who live there, pay very high property taxes and (used to) commute to NYC for work, so it can’t be all that bad.

Maybe the OP watched the Jersey Shore on MTV and is in to GTL...

I gather you thought my comment was directed at the joys of the Garden State! Actually, I was thinking of the requirements for a fiance visa.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by postbox134
With a plan, not impossible. If you work for a few years in the right kind of job, you could perhaps transfer over here but it wont be easy. Also, your unlikely to have an choice about where exactly you end up. Get a full degree too, that makes H1-B etc an option for you.

For context, I'm not much older than you and moved to New Jersey nearly two years ago with my employer (a large multinational). How much time have you spent here to conclude 'it looks so nice over there'?
I have spent no time there :3 was looking at the images on google, i'm guessing now it looks nothing like that ahahah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.