Uh.. Difficult Situation...

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Ms. Confused

Default Uh.. Difficult Situation...

I am in kindof a weird situation . Well I have been for the past uh, five years. In
the beggining on nineteen nine seven, my mom & I moved to the U.S. of A., from South
America. We moved here on a tourist visa. We've got a place to live, a driver's
license, a credit file. Now that several years have passed, I am getting rather
unhappy with the situation. Even though I have a job at a big retail store, I am
annoyed at the fact that I use a non legit Social Security Number and that I cannot
leave the US, among other things. Let me rephrase that: I could leave because I have
a 10 years tourist visa, but I would not want to risk not getting back into the
country. Plus it's just plain degrading to be in that situation. I want to change it,
yeah. And I understand that what I really should do is to get in contact with an
attorney, but I can't really afford one. My mom can't either. She can live
comfortably, but I don't really wish to ask anything from her. She is happy here,
even though she doesn't have the legal papers. She owns a house, and she doesn't have
to work. She is retired, but the money she gets from her retirement isn't enough for
the costly lawyers. As of now, I have nothing for me back at my country. At this
point, being fed up with the whole situation, I just want to know if there's any hope
for me, being as I don't intend to marry or anything. I am a person of good
character, but because of the fact that I had to use a bad SSN will probably say
otherwise. If I find that there's really no way for me to straighten everything up, I
will probably end up going elsewhere, because I cannot stand the fact that I feel
well, alienated from everyone because of that. All help, questions, comments or
concerns will be appreciated...

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:20 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: Uh.. Difficult Situation...

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:12:16 -0700, Ms. Confused wrote:

> I am in kindof a weird situation . Well I have been for the past uh, five years. In
    > the beggining on nineteen nine seven, my mom & I moved to the U.S. of A., from
    > South America. We moved here on a tourist visa. We've got a place to live, a
    > driver's license, a credit file. Now that several years have passed, I am getting
    > rather unhappy with the situation. Even though I have a job at a big retail store,
    > I am annoyed at the fact that I use a non legit Social Security Number and that I
    > cannot leave the US, among other things. Let me rephrase that: I could leave
    > because I have a 10 years tourist visa, but I would not want to risk not getting
    > back into the country. Plus it's just plain degrading to be in that situation.

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do. You couldn't even use your tourist
visa to return because by overstaying it has been invalidated. Plus, if you leave the
US now, you would automatically be banned from returning to the US for 10 years.

Basically, there are only two things you can do: either, move out of the US (and stay
gone for at least ten years), or marry a US citizen (only do that if he is your bona
fide boyfriend because otherwise you would be committing immigration fraud, which is
even worse).

> I want to change it, yeah. And I understand that what I really should do is to get
    > in contact with an attorney, but I can't really afford one. My mom can't either.
    > She can live comfortably, but I don't really wish to ask anything from her. She is
    > happy here, even though she doesn't have the legal papers. She owns a house, and
    > she doesn't have to work. She is retired, but the money she gets from her
    > retirement isn't enough for the costly lawyers. As of now, I have nothing for me
    > back at my country. At this point, being fed up with the whole situation, I just
    > want to know if there's any hope for me, being as I don't intend to marry or
    > anything. I am a person of good character, but because of the fact that I had to
    > use a bad SSN will probably say otherwise.

Immigration law would probably still consider you of good character, but that doesn't
really matter. The fact of the matter is that you overstayed by several years, and
that is a problem.

> If I find that there's really no way for me to straighten everything up, I will
    > probably end up going elsewhere, because I cannot stand the fact that I feel well,
    > alienated from everyone because of that. All help, questions, comments or concerns
    > will be appreciated...

There is one other possibility - but it is a very long shot. Currently, people who
can show that they have been in the US since 1972 will get a Green Card. There has
been some discussion about moving this date to 1986 or even 1996, with a provision to
move it further by a year every year. IF one of these bills become law (which
unfortunately looks rather unlikely after 9/11) then you might get lucky and
eventually benefit from
it. But, as I said, it's a long shot at best.

Ingo

Old Jul 8th 2002, 4:42 pm
Tom Shelly

Sure,

I have a solution.

Get the **** out of here and stop sucking off the titty of America, wetback.

Tom Shelly, White God Purveyor of Truth

Proud Recipient AFN's Most Hated Racist, 2002

Old Jul 10th 2002, 2:20 pm
Sammy

"Tom Shelly, White God" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sure,
    >
    > I have a solution.
    >
    > Get the **** out of here and stop sucking off the titty of America, wetback.
    >
    > Tom Shelly, White God Purveyor of Truth
    >
    > Proud Recipient AFN's Most Hated Racist, 2002

get lost redneck.

Old Jul 10th 2002, 6:20 pm
Priscilla

Eh, what's wrong white boy ? Ran out of racist jokes at news:alt.****.niggers ?

Haha.

"Tom Shelly, White God" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Sure,
    >
    > I have a solution.
    >
    > Get the **** out of here and stop sucking off the titty of America, wetback.
    >
    > Tom Shelly, White God Purveyor of Truth
    >
    > Proud Recipient AFN's Most Hated Racist, 2002

Old Jul 11th 2002, 4:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a racist by any means. But I don't see why the US has to accept or make provisions for this woman and her mother to become legal permanent residents of the US. What they did is illegal. A tourist visa is for tourism. It is not a document that allows you to live here and work here and enjoy the freedom of a country that you have entered into with fraudulent intent.

I had to jump through hoops and face the lion in its den to get my Canadian husband INS permission to come as a valid fiancee with a K-1 and then adjust status to permanent resident. Now we are doing the removal of conditions and next year citizenship. Why is it that those of us who play by the rules are the only ones the government puts the screws to?

Rete
Old Jul 12th 2002, 10:20 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:20:05 -0700, Rete wrote:

> I'm not a racist by any means. But I don't see why the US has to accept or make
    > provisions for this woman and her mother to become legal permanent residents of the
    > US. What they did is illegal. A tourist visa is for tourism. It is not a document
    > that allows you to live here and work here and enjoy the freedom of a country that
    > you have entered into with fraudulent intent.
    >
    > I had to jump through hoops and face the lion in its den to get my Canadian husband
    > INS permission to come as a valid fiancee with a K-1 and then adjust status to
    > permanent resident. Now we are doing the removal of conditions and next year
    > citizenship. Why is it that those of us who play by the rules are the only ones the
    > government puts the screws to?
    >
    > Rete

I second that sentiment. I'd be curious why they did that, though - sometimes, there
are valid reasons (morally, not legally, of course) for doing such a thing.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Jason C is an unknown quantity at this point

I third that sentiment, I am in the same situation as you Rete, except I am the Canadian husband had to pay all the fee's to legally get admitted into the USA.