Wikiposts

U.S. Work Visa Question

Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.S. Work Visa Question

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Didn't you say in the first post that she adopted you when you were 17? Was that before or after she filed the I-130? Couldn't she have filed the I-130 for you as your parent after adopting you (thus obviating the need to prove that she was your step-mother)? Something you said in your first post suggested that that is only possible until age 16 for adopted children of USCs, but the sentence wasn't very clear, so I'm not sure I properly understood what you meant.

Also, since you were a foreign child, wasn't USCIS involved with the adoption in the first place? I know nothing about immigration law, and am just asking out of curiosity, but to my uneducated mind it seems very odd that someone would be able to adopt a foreign child without it being established that the child was legal to immigrate.
Madonna did.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Madonna did.
Madonna did not adopt a 17 year old Brit that had been in the US for 16 years. Just a tad different
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:01 am
Account Closed

At least have a consultation with another Lawyer.

If you can not evidence your lawful entry even adjustment through marriage would not work.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Madonna did not adopt a 17 year old Brit that had been in the US for 16 years. Just a tad different
Not from an Immigration perspective.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Madonna did.

Not really being 'up' on celebrity gossip, I know little of Madonna's case. The smallest amount of googling tells me that it provoked objections from human rights groups on a number of grounds, one of which being the complaint that the baby had been fast-tracked through US immigration because of his adoptive mother's celebrity status. That implies that there is a process to be gone through.

Or perhaps you were just making fun of my lax grammar . I should of course have written 'would be allowed to', rather than 'would be able to'.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Did she no do it several times? I think it was the issues at the African end that raised eyebrows.

But back to this case:

Basically you have a get out of jail free card until you are 18. After another 2 years you have a 10 year ban. Now there are waivers available but that is going to be tricky with a step mother who adopted you at age 17 ish.

You can not adjust in country, there is one notable exception, if you were inspected on entry then marriage to a USC. You have to show you were inspected, Passport and I 94 would be the common route. But as there is no mention of a SO this seems moot anyway.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to show you were inspected, Passport and I 94 would be the common route. But as there is no mention of a SO this seems moot anyway.
Plus, he said she came in on her mother's "passport", sounds like back in 1977 a 5-year old didn't need his/her own passport and visa (or I-94 / I-94W).

So I'm not sure after these many years what she'd have in hand to be able to show she entered with inspection.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Having now read the INA adoption provisions, it does indeed seem that a petition for an adopted child has to be filed before the child turns 16 (confirming what I thought Nicole meant in post 1).

I'm still confused as to how her adoptive mother got through the adoption process if she (Nicole) was in the US illegally (which we don't know for sure). Is it simply that the adoption and immigration sides of the house operate completely separately? Even then, wouldn't the adoption process have required the presentation of her birth certificate? And wouldn't that have raised questions about her immigration status?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Plus, he said she came in on her mother's "passport", sounds like back in 1977 a 5-year old didn't need his/her own passport and visa (or I-94 / I-94W).
I don't know the exact date of the change, but it was only quite recently that the law stopped allowing UK children to travel on their parents' passports. I got my first passport at 13 (13 years ago) because I was going abroad on a school trip without my parents, but I had been out of the country at least once a year with them up until that age.

EDIT to add: It looks like the change took place in 1998.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Aug 18th 2011 at 11:24 am.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:28 am
Account Closed

How do you think the tens of millions of undocumented would survive here if the US Gov was so integrated?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I am seeing slight parallels to the case of Jose Vargas at the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/ma...pagewanted=all

Here's and update:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...mission/40272/
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

How do you think the tens of millions of undocumented would survive here if the US Gov was so integrated?
I agree, that seems the likely answer to my question. However, I also see a difference between an illegal immigrant who does nothing to draw attention to him/herself and one who tries to get adopted. One seems more likely to get caught than the other. I would expect adoption to be a fairly thorough process, but perhaps by the time the child is 17 there isn't much of an investigation as he/she will be an adult soon.

Anyway, when the OP is next along she can clear it up. Either the adoption went through without any reference to her immigration status, it was discovered she was an illegal immigrant and it went through anyway, or she wasn't an illegal immigrant at the time of the adoption.

P.S. On Madonna, while the issues on the 'African end' were what drew tabloid attention, according to 'the Internet' human rights organizations also made official protests because it seemed suspicious that the baby got through the US immigration process straight away. Reading INA Section 101(b)(1)(F), it seems likely that the two sets of objections were in fact connected.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Aug 18th 2011 at 11:48 am. Reason: Removed something that didn't make sense.