Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

U.S Citizen, Using British Passport....

U.S Citizen, Using British Passport....

Old May 21st 2020, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute
Default U.S Citizen, Using British Passport....

I have recently become a U.S Citizen and I have applied for my U.S passport, this included sending my citizenship certificate. With everything thats going on they state it can takes months. I need to head to Canada in July.

Question: if my U.S passport does not arrive by July 1st, can I use my British Passport (in date) to cross into Canada and back.

If not, is there a process in place to support this situation?

Thanks
Old May 21st 2020, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S Citizen, Using British Passport....

You could enter Canada with your British passport but the return trip will be fun without a US passport - you can't enter using your British passport.

If you're driving across the border they'll have to let you in after doing some checks but it won't be a pleasant experience. If you intend to fly, the airline won't allow you to board without an ESTA and you can't get one as a US citizen.
Old May 21st 2020, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
You could enter Canada with your British passport but the return trip will be fun without a US passport - you can't enter using your British passport.

If you're driving across the border they'll have to let you in after doing some checks but it won't be a pleasant experience. If you intend to fly, the airline won't allow you to board without an ESTA and you can't get one as a US citizen.
Thanks, would be driving. Ive had my fair share of uncomfortable immigration officer meets but interesting if there is a point they just say no. Frustrating situation to be in. Becoming a citizen was suppose to make this all easier.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Also be aware that currently the US/Canadian border is closed for non essential travel until 21 June and no guarantees it will be open after that date so you wouldn't be able to enter Canada on any passport.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:16 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Also be aware that currently the US/Canadian border is closed for non essential travel until 21 June and no guarantees it will be open after that date so you wouldn't be able to enter Canada on any passport.
I was about to post that, but we don't know if it's essential travel. I would advise not travelling without the US pp but if you do,, at least have a copy of the citizenship cert with you.
Not sure that the corona situation will delay the pp that much anyway?
Old May 21st 2020, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

I was also going to mention the border closure but assumed that it was essential...

Originally Posted by Stribs
Thanks, would be driving. Ive had my fair share of uncomfortable immigration officer meets but interesting if there is a point they just say no. Frustrating situation to be in. Becoming a citizen was suppose to make this all easier.
They can't refuse entry to a US Citizen if you present yourself at the border, you will probably get a grilling though.

The Canadians might be odd about it too actually, every time I've crossed into Canada from the USA they want to know what my status in the USA is and then want to see my Green Card.
Old May 21st 2020, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is a legal requirement that all US citizens leave and enter the US using a US PP.
Old May 22nd 2020, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is a legal requirement that all US citizens leave and enter the US using a US PP.
Conversely a US citizen cannot be denied entry to the US, passport or not, full stop. There are some peculiar stories about fines and other penalties levied against US citizens entering the US without a US passport, but the greatest risk is probably that the US immigration officers get you out of your vehicle and put you in an interview room for a couple of hours just to be obnoxious about it.

If travel is essential enough under the current conditions, then I would chance it, and be duly apologetic on returning, including carrying evidence that I had applied for my US passport x weeks ago and there had been an extraordinary delay in receiving my passport due to the extraordinary prevailing pandemic conditions.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 22nd 2020 at 12:53 am.
Old May 22nd 2020, 1:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not knowing where OP lives, many states on the northern border have enhanced drivers licenses available which are valid border crossing documents at land borders. know that New York, Minnesota, Michigan, Vermont and Washington have such licenses.