Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Two questions about sending in the N400 application

Two questions about sending in the N400 application

Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two questions about sending in the N400 application

Finally had time to wrap up my N400, just had two questions before I stick it in the mail tomorrow:

1. I'm planning on using that postal service thing where they give you a stamped receipt proving you sent it, plus you put your address on a green postcard which then is then mailed back to you showing a signature of receipt on the other end. Not sure if that's called certified or registered mail or what. I am sending to Phoenix, so should I use the standard Lockbox address (the PO box one), or do I use the "express/courier deliveries" address? I'm guessing the second one, since my method of sending would require a human to receive it, and I doubt that would work with a PO Box address, but not completely sure... from my understanding, "express/courier" means someone like UPS or Fedex, doesn't it? So where should I send?

2. What do you guys normally do with your application, staple all the pages together with the two photos at the top corner also stapled? Or do you just use a paperclip to hold everything together? I don't know if they are one of those organizations that have a "no staples" rule, but ideally I would like the pics to be fixed to the application so that they stay safely with the other papers.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Lakersdarge; Jan 27th 2011 at 3:05 am.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two questions about sending in the N400 application

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
... should I use the standard Lockbox address (the PO box one), or do I use the "express/courier deliveries" address?
Are you using a courier? No... you indicated you were using the USPS ("that postal service thing"). While many companies may offer a "mail box", only the USPS offers a "post office box".

Or do you just use a paperclip to hold everything together?
Bulldog clip.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:59 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

2. What do you guys normally do with your application, staple all the pages together with the two photos at the top corner also stapled? Or do you just use a paperclip to hold everything together? I don't know if they are one of those organizations that have a "no staples" rule, but ideally I would like the pics to be fixed to the application so that they stay safely with the other papers.

Thanks for any input.
I don't know if this is correct or not, but I put the pics in a little sandwich bag, (cut it down so it was only a few inches wide/high) and then placed that on the top of the paperwork and then stapled the bag, along with all the paperwork, altogether with one staple in the left hand corner.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I put the pics in a little sandwich bag, (cut it down so it was only a few inches wide/high) and then placed that on the top of the paperwork then stapled the bag, along with all the paperwork, altogether with one staple in the left hand corner.
I also put my pics in a little bag thing... but I used a clip to hold it together. Anyway, worked out well. Short of stapling the hell out of the forms, I don't think there's a bad way of putting things together!

As an aside, that reminds me of a $5 parking ticket I got at my university one day... I sent them a $5 bill stapled to the ticket - stapled about 150 times!

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't know if this is correct or not, but I put the pics in a little sandwich bag, (cut it down so it was only a few inches wide/high) and then placed that on the top of the paperwork
I usually just put everything together and stick a paperclip around the whole thing. The one time I did put the photos in a little wallet thing, USCIS lost one of the photos and I had to get them re-done during my I-485 interview.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you using a courier? No... you indicated you were using the USPS ("that postal service thing"). While many companies may offer a "mail box", only the USPS offers a "post office box".
Yeah sorry, I meant to say that I wanted to use the USPS service (I think it's called either "certified" or "registered") with signature required. Basically I want to make sure my application gets there and that I have proof of mailing. But since there is a signature involved with that method, I don't know if I should send it to the main Lockbox address because from the looks of it that's just a PO Box with nobody there to physically receive... If I send something with signature required and it's just a PO box, won't it get returned to me or something?

but on the other hand, I don't know if I should send my applicaiton to the other address, because I don't think USPS qualifies as "express mail" (or does it?)... so still not sure what to do here.

Bulldog clip.
You can actually send one of those in the mail? Won't the envelope rip?

And Sue, thanks for the little bag suggestion. That sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Lakersdarge; Jan 27th 2011 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Basically I want to make sure my application gets there and that I have proof of mailing.
I sent it USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. No sig needed but it meant I could check to see if it had been delivered. The slip also acts as your proof of posting.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Sue. I was thinking it would be a good idea to use a signature required on delivery, since there's so much important information on these forms. I dunno, I would just have more peace of mind that way.

So if I am sending by USPS postal service, with signature required service, is it ok to send to the Lockbox address? Held off sending it today because I'm still not sure.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

USPS is the US Postal Service.
Everyone else is not.

Only USPS may deliver into mailboxes, that's why couriers have a different address.

Send your package (signature or not) to the USPS address listed at uscis.gov
They bulk sign for them when received.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks for clearing that up meauxna.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:58 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I paperclipped it all together, including the photos and cheque. They didn't lose anything
Old Jan 29th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Finally got my application done and dusted, just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board for all the help over the last week. Now comes the waiting part...