Two questions

Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

janousek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two questions-US citizenship time clock; how LPR can bring parents to live in the US

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the answers to 2 questions. When does the time clock for US Citizenship starts? We've been married since March 2002. And our AOS case was approved in Apr 2004. My spouse is a USC. So how do I count the 3 years towards my citizenship paperwork?

I've tried to search answers on USCIS website but ended up confuse with bureaucratic language.

What are the legal ways that a LPR (GC holder) can bring parents to live here permanently? USCIS website says that a LPR can not file petition for his/her parents.

Please suggest.

Many thanks
-Janousek

Last edited by janousek; Oct 20th 2004 at 11:01 pm. Reason: Explaining Title
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two questions-US citizenship time clock; how LPR can bring parents to live in the US

Originally Posted by janousek
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the answers to 2 questions. When does the time clock for US Citizenship starts? We've been married since March 2002. And our AOS case was approved in Apr 2004. My spouse is a USC. So how do I count the 3 years towards my citizenship paperwork?

I've tried to search answers on USCIS website but ended up confuse with bureaucratic language.

What are the legal ways that a LPR (GC holder) can bring parents to live here permanently? USCIS website says that a LPR can not file petition for his/her parents.

Please suggest.

Many thanks
-Janousek

The 3 years started the day you became a permanent resident.

If the USCIS website says that LPR's cant petition for their parents, then I am guessing that is correct.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two questions-US citizenship time clock; how LPR can bring parents to live in the US

Originally Posted by andrea874
The 3 years started the day you became a permanent resident.

If the USCIS website says that LPR's cant petition for their parents, then I am guessing that is correct.
I am thinking that you might have to be a citizen in order to bring your parents over. So if you got your LPR status in April of 2004, then I guess you would be eligible for citizenship in April of 2007.

I don't know a lot about the citizenship process, so I'm just guessing here.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And our AOS case was approved in Apr 2004. My spouse is a USC. So how do I count the 3 years towards my citizenship paperwork?
You can apply for citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the date on your green card. Only the green card date is relevant.

What are the legal ways that a LPR (GC holder) can bring parents to live here permanently?
I don't think a PR can petition for a visa for their parents and, even if they could, it'd be 8 - 10 years before a visa was available since it'd be subject to an annual quota. I think only a USC can petition for such a visa - and there are no quotas for USCs, so you may be able to send off a petition in under 3 years.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:02 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can apply for citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the date on your green card.

Ian
This part "usually" holds true (the 90 day prior part) but not always.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
This part "usually" holds true (the 90 day prior part) but not always.
One of the reasons why the 90 days prior might not fit the equation is if the marriage is not a full three years at the start of the 90 day period. Another might be that you have been outside of the US for more than 18 months in the three year period you are basing your eligibility on. Another would be that you were not a resident of the state for the required length of time as outlined in the Guide to Naturalization.

For answers to whether or not you qualify, d/l or order the Gudie and read the critera carefully. It spells it out clearly what is required of you for eligibility.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:18 am

Trent is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted from this USCIS webpage:
Who is Eligible to Sponsor a Parent?
If you are a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.
Hope that helped! You will have to wait until you become a US Citizen. After that you can file I-130 for your parents and current wait period is around 1 year (depends on which service center you will send your application to).

Last edited by Trent; Oct 21st 2004 at 1:48 am.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:26 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trent
You will have to wait until your spouse becomes a US Citizen and current wait period is around 1 year after your spouse files I-130.
Eh? Am I having an artificially blonde moment here?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Eh? Am I having an artificially blonde moment here?
Not sure.

But current processing date at VSC for example for I-130 (US Citizen filing for spouse, parent, or child under 21) shows September 1, 2004 (posted on October 6). I'm assuming that it's accurate. If this is the case, those filing at VSC should be getting a response within, say, a couple of months at most? For Texas and Nebraska, it's around a year (roughly).

Here's the link for CSC processing dates:
https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/js...ter=California

Last edited by Trent; Oct 21st 2004 at 12:57 am.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:12 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure.

But current processing date at VSC for example for I-130 (US Citizen filing for spouse, parent, or child under 21) shows September 1, 2004 (posted on October 6). I'm assuming that it's accurate. If this is the case, those filing at VSC should be getting a response within, say, a couple of months at most? For Texas and Nebraska, it's around a year (roughly).

Here's the link for CSC processing dates:
https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/js...ter=California
That's I-130 processing times, I-130 approvals are not the same as citizenship?

I don't think you meant what you typed? What i read you to mean was that citizenship is acquired roughly a year after filing an I-130??
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:13 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
That's I-130 processing times, I-130 approvals are not the same as citizenship?

I don't think you meant what you typed? What i read you to mean was that citizenship is acquired roughly a year after filing an I-130??
I'm going through Los Angeles for AOS. Have you got the link to their processing times?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure.
The spouse is the USC, the OP's PR was approved in April.

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Ian
Well spotted
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:22 am

Ian
Sorry, what I meant was, OP will have to wait until he/she becomes a USC. Sorry for confusion.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Sorry, what I meant was, OP will have to wait until he/she becomes a USC. Sorry for confusion.
No worries!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.