Two Passports

Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice
Default Re: Two Passports

From personal experience (3 weeks ago) I found out they do notice the lack of stamps! Returning to the US (from Amsterdam) on my US passport, the agent asked why I had visited Amsterdam. Not wanting any sort of search by customs (Amsterdam you know) I told him that I lived and worked there. After studying my passport he asked if I had a second passport. I then told him yes, I had a French one, and how did he know. He said he could tell since I did not have a residence permit stamp to live in the EU (should be somewhere in my US passport). He then let me on my way without asking to see my French passport.

So he did not care. But its easy to see how these guys can ask you question and catch potential liars.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
According to 8 USC § 1185(b) it is "unlawful" for a US citizen to leave or attempt to leave the US without a valid US passport. There is some discussion in another forum, whether this is actually the law or merely a guideline! At any rate, since there is no immigration exit control when leaving the US, there doesn't seem to be much more in it than a slap on the wrist... if they ever put 2+2 together (which is highly unlikely).

There seems to be general agreement (probably because it is a law... at least, that's what folks seem to agree on), that if you are a USC, you *must* enter the US with a valid US passport.

Ian
More personal experience: Upon leaving the US for Amsterdam, I tried to do online checking (United) with my US passport but was rejected and needed to use my French one. I was returning on the second leg of a round-trip ticket and they wanted to ensure I had the proper authority to remain in Europe. Of course, this is a United Airlines issue, and not a US Customs issue.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Jelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really niceJelly100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
how do you plan on getting back in? AFAIK, your naturalization certificate is not sufficient for re-entry and you won't have your greencard anymore. Also, if I were you, I wouldn't chance taking your natz cert out of the country with you. If it was lost, damaged, etc, it's a pain in the a$$ to replace.

Thanks for your replies.
My move back to the UK, will be at least for a few months, if not permanent (due to family circumstances). I had booked a flight back before I knew when my Oath ceremony was, and I didnt expect it to be so quick. As it turns out, my oath ceremony is in the morning and my flight home is in the evening of the same day. Therefore no time to get passport.
I had read on another thread about someone taking their natz certificate to the US embassy to get the US passport while out of the country, and as I am in no rush to return to the US at the moment I would have plenty of time to do this.
I completely understand the need to re-enter on a US passport, I just was unsure about leaving on the UK one without the Greencard.

"According to 8 USC § 1185(b) it is "unlawful" for a US citizen to leave or attempt to leave the US without a valid US passport. There is some discussion in another forum, whether this is actually the law or merely a guideline! At any rate, since there is no immigration exit control when leaving the US, there doesn't seem to be much more in it than a slap on the wrist... if they ever put 2+2 together (which is highly unlikely). "

Thanks Ian for this.

I guess I will post on here after my trip and let people know what happens.
Fingers crossed will be ok.

thanks

Jelly
Old Dec 8th 2008, 4:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jelly100
"According to 8 USC § 1185(b) it is "unlawful" for a US citizen to leave or attempt to leave the US without a valid US passport. There is some discussion in another forum, whether this is actually the law or merely a guideline!
Just to be pedantical, what you quoted there IS "the law". What we don't know is how it's enforced or what the penalties are. It is NOT a guideline though.

But you're right; you're going to do it anyway, what are they gonna do, make a Federal case out of it (and so what if they do, if you're not planning on returning etc). Safe travels, Jelly, I hope everything's ok back home.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:10 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M S
Do both passports show your new married name???
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Not really, as long as one passport matched the ticket name, I would see no problem. Besides, the US doesn't care what name a person has in their British passport, maiden or married, as long as whatever name you want to use is used consistently on all the US forms.

You are implying that a woman simply must change her name to her hubby's, hence the implication of sexism. You can have your UK PP in one name, and your US PP in another, doesn't really matter.
Might I throw in my tuppence worth?

NOT ALL WOMEN CHANGE THEIR NAME WHEN THEY GET MARRIED. IT IS ILLOGICAL AND SEXIST TO ASSUME THEY DO.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...18#post7041118

(Not aimed at Sunflwrgrl. You speak the truth)

Okay... I feel better now. Carry on with the original topic.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:55 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Two Passports

Originally Posted by gingerert
Might I throw in my tuppence worth?

NOT ALL WOMEN CHANGE THEIR NAME WHEN THEY GET MARRIED. IT IS ILLOGICAL AND SEXIST TO ASSUME THEY DO.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...18#post7041118

(Not aimed at Sunflwrgrl. You speak the truth)

Okay... I feel better now. Carry on with the original topic.
My favourite is the women who don't get married but then feel the need to name the baby in the man's surname as if there own is not good enough.

Can't see why they don't stick to the comedy sketch version of naming the child with the man's surname as a first name and their own as a last name if they have no intention of marrying?