Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

TWICE THE HOME RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT????!!!!

Wikiposts

TWICE THE HOME RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT????!!!!

Old Mar 26th 2002, 3:39 pm
Jose Hurtado

Default TWICE THE HOME RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT????!!!!

Hi there,

After finishing my Master's degree, I transferred from a Fulbright J-1 program
subject to the 2-year HRR to the university's J-1 program in order to keep studying
towards the PhD degree.

My question now that I finished both degree programs is: Do I have to spend 4 years
in my home country as a result of transffering from one J-1 program subject to HRR
to another J-1 program subject to HRR???. My university's J-1 program officer thinks
that the second J-1 program was a continuation of the original J-1 program, and I
transfered from the first to the second, therefore I have to spend only 2 years in
my country. What do you guys think??, any legal expert out there who can help me
clarify this?.

The university's J-1 program did not receive funding from the US government, but the
specialization is listed in the US State Department Skills List for my country.

Old Mar 27th 2002, 9:05 am
Sylvia Ottemoel

Default Re: TWICE THE HOME RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT????!!!!

Jose Hurtado wrote:

> After finishing my Master's degree, I transferred from a Fulbright J-1 program
    > subject to the 2-year HRR to the university's J-1 program in order to keep studying
    > towards the PhD degree.
    >
    > My question now that I finished both degree programs is: Do I have to spend 4 years
    > in my home country as a result of transffering from one J-1 program subject to HRR
    > to another J-1 program subject to HRR???. My university's J-1 program officer
    > thinks that the second J-1 program was a continuation of the original J-1 program,
    > and I transfered from the first to the second, therefore I have to spend only 2
    > years in my country.

Your university J-1 program officer is correct.

What do you guys think??, any legal expert out there who can
    > help me clarify this?.
    >
    > The university's J-1 program did not receive funding from the US government, but
    > the specialization is listed in the US State Department Skills List for my country.

The fact that you incurred the two-year obligation in two different ways does not
double the 2 year home country physical presence requirement.