Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling while I-751is processed and ID is expired

Travelling while I-751is processed and ID is expired

Old May 24th 2001, 6:29 am
Lush

Hello everyone, I sent my I-751 form and documents but I got it back with the remark
that I would not have conditional residency and therefore do not need to file this
form. I don't know what went wrong, since I had to file it before the 2 year
anniversary of my wedding. Also, my resident card is expired in February. I sent
another letter immediately-- 2 months ago. I will tavel to Peru next week. I know
Iwon't have problems leaving the US, but as what do I return? (with my passport, is
it too late to go to the INS office and get a stamp ?) Should I expect any problems?
What do I need to take with me?

Anyone here who knows about the Los Angeles INS office downtown...

Had anyone had this type of problem before, that INS returned forms etc. with the
remark it does not need to be filed...

What could have happened?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance, Claudia

Old May 28th 2001, 1:24 pm
Heather

On Thu, 24 May 2001 11:29:25 -0700, quoth "Lush" <[email protected]> :

>
    >
    >

You entered on a K1 visa, filed the I-485 and had that approved already?

>
    >

You have to file the I-751 before the 2 year anniversary of being granted conditional
permanent residence, NOT your wedding anniversary! Depending on how long it took for
the 485 to be approved, it could be a great deal later than your wedding anniversary.
That may be why they returned the application; however, the comment that you won't
have conditional residency is odd - unless your I-485 is still pending...

Heather
--
My real address is heather @ operamail dot com. I very rarely read the one shown as a
reply to/from address
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >
    >

Old May 29th 2001, 7:36 am
Lush

heather, of course i knew the date when to file it that's why it is so odd. my
travel plans are cancelled now and i wrote to my congressman for help. maybe that
helps... claudia

Old May 29th 2001, 11:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No you apparently do not know when to send it as per your post:

Claudia wrote:

"I don't know what went wrong, since I had to file it before the 2 year anniversary of my wedding. Also, my resident card is expired in February. I sent another letter immediately-"

The conditional two year green card must be renewed 90 days before its expiration. Not 90 days before your second wedding anniversary. Since you state your card expired in February (assuming you meant Feb. 2001 not Feb. 2002) then you have relinquished your status as permanent resident by not filing in time.

If, however, you did mean February, 2002 then you are filing too early. And perhaps this is the problem since your second wedding anniversary would be before the expiration of the two year conditional green card and not after as you can't adjust status without having been married first.

Perhaps, also your English is not good enough yet to fully explain your situation, i.e. you wrote "I got it back with the remark that I would not have conditional residency and therefore do not need to file this form. I don't know what went wrong" This sentence does not make much sense unless we try to come up with a scenario for your remark.

Do you mean they wrote that you "do not have conditional residency"?

Please try again to post a little clearer and the newsgroup would be happy to assist you.

Rita