Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the USA with a suspended sentance

Travelling to the USA with a suspended sentance

Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the USA with a suspended sentance

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
No I don't actually but 5 guys in there 60s got done at my local snooker club all at once a couple of christmases back. Someone grassed them up and they sent in an undercover copper and blocked the track to the club off with 2 cop cars after all 5 drove away one after the other and all 5 tested positive.
Just stop!!! As you have no US Immigration experience whatsoever and your advice is usually inaccurate...it would be best if you limited your posts to the general forums.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:48 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That would depend upon how many times over the legal limit he was. If he was 4 or 5 times over which is possible he might get a suspended sentence. The more over the limit you are the higher the punishment.
I'm guessing you don't know that lansbury was a law enforcement officer... because if you did, how stupid you'd look right now!

I am not sure...
Would you please, for the love of god, stop posting in the immigration forum?

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:33 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That would depend upon how many times over the legal limit he was. If he was 4 or 5 times over which is possible he might get a suspended sentence. The more over the limit you are the higher the punishment.
I'm not sure how many people I arrested for drink drive over the years, quite a good few. Not one got a custodial sentence suspended or otherwise, because of their blood alcohol level. They did for repeat offenses.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What was the highest you ever pulled over. I have read about people being 5 times over the limit. I think the record is 6 times over isn't it like 195mg in breath or something wasn't it? You get 3 year for ban 2 convictions in ten years. He must have reoffended in short succession to get a suspended. Or breached the driving ban that was imposed.
Does it matter what the hell he had done, that's not the OP's question, it's about whether with a sentence he would be allowed to travel with his conviction. OP hasn't been back to answer any of the questions that have been asked, so until then all replies to the OP are really redundant, and this is now descending into a discussion about UK drink/driving convictions etc.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

moleymole_69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for all the replys people. Yes i have a visa already because i travelled to the US last year, my visa says expires 2024. Yes i have previous for drink driving and other minor convictions that's why i had to apply for a visa at the american embassy last year and was granted one previous to this offence. Its a suspended 12 week prison sentence for 12 month i also have to complete a alcohol rehab course which they said i had to prove to them if i was going away with flight tickets etc which would be fine but check if im aloud in the US which means reapplying for a new visa which i have no chance of getting if i do. Wondering if they will be alerted or anything when i check in the airport or something?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for coming back and filling in some gaps. But it seems you're asking "Will I get away with it?"
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moleymole_69
thank you for all the replys people. Yes i have a visa already because i travelled to the US last year, my visa says expires 2024. Yes i have previous for drink driving and other minor convictions that's why i had to apply for a visa at the american embassy last year and was granted one previous to this offence. Its a suspended 12 week prison sentence for 12 month i also have to complete a alcohol rehab course which they said i had to prove to them if i was going away with flight tickets etc which would be fine but check if im aloud in the US which means reapplying for a new visa which i have no chance of getting if i do. Wondering if they will be alerted or anything when i check in the airport or something?
You probably wouldn't get a new visa because your subject to a suspended sentence right now. You probably have to complete the suspended sentence period before a visa would be considered. You will also surely need a medical over this second conviction.

I don't know if U.S immigration would be aware of your new conviction if they are not now they may be in the future. I don't think it is worth that risk myself.

Last edited by johnnybrown532; Mar 18th 2015 at 9:34 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:37 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

You probably wouldn't get a new visa because your subject to a suspended sentence right now. You probably have to complete the suspended sentence period before a visa would be considered. You will also surely need a medical over this second conviction.

I don't know if U.S immigration would be aware of your new conviction if they are not now they may be in the future. I don't think it is worth that risk myself.
For the love of god, can't you take a hint?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
For the love of god, can't you take a hint?
He really should have...now he's taking an enforced break.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:07 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I think he probably stayed here last night:

Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I could just kiss you!

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised he lasted this long really.

So, back to the OP, does this new sentence (suspended or otherwise) effectively invalidate his current visa?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:24 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you JG
Old Mar 19th 2015, 3:05 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I'm surprised he lasted this long really.

So, back to the OP, does this new sentence (suspended or otherwise) effectively invalidate his current visa?
No.

The visa is valid. The question is whether or not he is a dangerous alcoholic. He may be, but the chances of that determination being made during an attempt to travel are somewhere between extremely slim and none. The odds are about as low as being hit by a meteor. I've heard of someone getting hit by a meteor, but not someone with a visa getting bounced for being inadmissible under the public health grounds of inadmissibility for being a dangerous drunk. I have heard of visas being denied though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.